General new phone won't play music through USB

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rhinogolf, Friday 31st Jan, 2014.

1. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Wife got new Sony zxperia z1 I have set up the phone through the HFT and the hands free works fine but when trying to play music saying unsupported any ideas to get round this, any1 else got same phone that plays music car 2.2 I-DTEC

2. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think the only supported devices on the USB socket are either memory sticks (possibly also small portable hard drives) and iPod/iPhones, I've tried my HTC and it doesn't work.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Set the phone to file transfer, think the option is called "copy files" :Smile:

4. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    This to transfer music to memory stick?? Was after solution to play through phone

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Bandit pointed out that the USB is to access music through a normal file system and play MP3 directly, not via the phone's music player. To access those files you need to stick your phone into file transfer mode, and not the normal charge/tether.

6. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    Can't find how to get into transfer files can u help

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I haven't got one of the phone's myself, but most Android 4 based phones work in a similar fashion. It's likely Sony has a different name for the setting but it might be automatic. According to your manual:

Does this happen?