Tyres & Wheels New set of boots for the car

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Duc de Pommfrit, Saturday 11th Jul, 2015.

1. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Just had 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 fitted and they have transformed the handling. I knew the Avon were poor tyres but I hadn't realised that bad, I even asked the Honda dealership to check the steering the last time it was in. Thanks @Nighthawk for the recommendation.

Next on the list...sort the ride height.

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    got my f1s delivered a couple of days ago .

supposedly great tyres.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They grip really well, glad you are happy with them. Would be interested to hear your comparisons between the two tyres. Alot of people like the Avons even though they are mid range tyres

4. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    @Duc de Pommfrit - I know exactly how you feel. It still amazes me how much difference quality tyres can make to the way a car drives. No more budget / mid range tyres for me :Smile:

Nighthawk and DeviateDefiant like this.
  5. skip_1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have Eagle F1's on the front of mine and Hankook Ventus EVO 12 on the rear and it handles really well in the dry and wet. Confidence inspiring, especially after ditching the 'Sunny's' that were on it when I purchased. Tyre noise is higher than expected though, but that may be because it is a tourer.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    In my humblest of opinions, tyres and brakes are the most important places to buy high quality gear.

I've inadvertently become a Michelin guy, they can wear fast but they don't half grip like crazy. I'd say for most F1s are the best all-round choice to make.

Nels, Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

Always always always go for good brand tyres. They are the only thing keeping you on the road and your children in the back seat safe. My kids are worth more than 400 quid.

You may never drive hard but it only takes one incident and they can save your life

John Dickson, RogerH69, Nels and 3 others like this.
  8. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

cannot believe the difference, it's like a different car, went for a very long drive around the twisty road of Northumberland and smiled the whole time!...my daughter did feel a bit sick sick!!!

@Nighthawk need the brakes sorted soon, when you can.

Nels and Nighthawk like this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

Nw mate, let me know when you want to come down. Im moving close to @DeviateDefiant soon so we can make a day out of it

10. daniel99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had some cheepies all round until I needed some new fronts. The local garage I used said that they would ring the suppliers and see what they had on offer. They came up with a pair of yokahamas, Cdrive2, to be exact. On the cheepies, the tram lining was quite bad, which I put down to being due to the standard low profile 225 45 17 alloys. But when I got the new ones on, the tram lining has virtually disappeared and the car feels so much more positive, even during normal round town driving.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm more than up for this, @Duc de Pommfrit it might be worth upgrading to CL9 calipers if you have standard CL7 ones on yours (I'm not sure). I have a set from my '03 we can use, as well as nearly new OEM front pads with tons of meat left on them, would need new discs though.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Both the 7th and 8th Generation Accords should always have reinforced tyres (XL) on them as that helps eliminates the tramlining issues, it also just makes the steering a lot more precise and dependable in general.

Duc de Pommfrit likes this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Have you had a new Accord?

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

No mate, it's just also prone to the same issue, there's a good few threads covering it. I had it on both my 7th Gens.

14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My fault. Misread what you'd typed. :blush:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I promise I'd tell you if I bought a new 8th Generation :Innocent:

16. Nighthawk Guest

Ahh yes, a nice easy mod - sounds a great idea. Duc, if you can wait a couple of months, come down to our neck of the woods and we can teach you how to do your brakes. Depending on the condition of your rear ones, I would replace all round, front and rear with discs and pads, and then bleed the system out so you have fresh clean fluid flowing through her braking system as well.

17. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

Sounds like a plan, and I'm in no hurry

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Think I need new boots for my car:

WP_20150713_17_52_05_Pro[1].

4-4.5mm tread left after 19,500 miles but don't like the cracks that are appearing so it's going in on Friday for new shoes at Newcastle Honda.

They say Bridgestone Turanza is no longer available so I'm getting some other type of Bridgestone I've never heard of and can't seem to find on Bridgestone website.

Looks very much available to me:

T001

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  20. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    Ichiban,

How would you compare michelin tyres to Yokohama? was interested in using yokohma , but after they signed shirt sponsorship to Chelsea fc, I unfortunatly can't use them now..

Interestingly, if you watch the michelin megafactories documentary on YouTube , you will see a 8th Generation Honda Accord in a sound insulated listening room.

Ichiban likes this.