Daily Driver Accord Tourer ES GT

8th Generation (2008-2015) vehicle added by narcosis, Monday 8th Oct, 2012

1. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, I am new to the forum but not new to owning an Accord. I have just traded in my old '99 1.8 petrol saloon (164k) for a 59 plate Black ES GT Tourer I-DTEC. This is my first diesel car and first estate. I needed the extra boot space to accommodate hobbies (diving, canoeing, etc) which is where my old saloon and to be honest, the new saloons fall down (IMO).

I have found some handy tips already so thanks for that (DPF and oil advice).

Can anyone please advise if the VPower (or equivalent brand) diesel fuel is worth purchasing over the standard diesel fuel?

Thank you in advance.

Neil

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Neil and welcome:Hey:
    V power-supermarket fuel debate i think its down to individual preference.I personally think is worth to buy V power as it supposed to be cleaner and it contains additive in it to keep your engine clean and running better.
    I been using V power for number of years now.

3. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the prompt response :Smile:

4. Jon_G Guest

Hi and welcome to the club.
    As said, fuel choice is a personal preference... I've always bought whatever's cheapest. Works for me!

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On 5th gear tonight the v power gave 4 BHP extra on a Golf R35. Im not sure what the diesel would be like but it would have been interesting to see if it gave simlar gains.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Been using optimax and vpower since it launch so my views will be limited. Going to speak to Helen's dad he got her old 2.0 tourer and he been filing it up with cheapo Morrison fuel.

we will soon find out how the car shapes up after a life of pampered vpower.

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Morrisons cheapo fuel does well in my Type-S I`ve tried V power and other super unleaded fuels but they don't seem to give me the mileage. As for performance I`ve never really noticed a difference.

8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry how rude I am Welcome along Neil

9. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the warm welcome and comments.

Neil

10. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Some pics of the car after claying, polishing and waxing.....

DSC02038.

DSC02040.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Looking clean !

I envy you guys who spend hours claying, polishing, waxing your cars, I'm too impatient and get bored with that stuff.

12. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My arm no longer works ... on the plus side, my wife as a first time clayer has found out she really enjoys it! Bonus!

13. Nikonandmac Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Welcome Neil. Very tidy motor you have there.

14. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you :Smile:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That looks like my Tourer :Wink: what products did you use on your car bud?

16. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I washed it twice, currently using up what is left of my Turtle wax car shamppo, then clayed it using AutoGlym claybar kit, then polished using Autoglym Super Resin Polich (spent quite a bit of time doing this to try and remove some blemishes (as much as I could do by hand - no machine), then used autoglym's paint protector/liquid wax (cannot quite remember the name). I tried to buy Autoglym High Defenition wax but the shop had run out.The wheels are a bit of a work in progress, we have tried de-taring and using wheel clean (autoglym) but there are still some stubborn brake/tar marks.I have been reading around and noticed that Poorboys do a good black polish for black cars, is this something people recommend? I am also open to opinions on any other products, I just picked up what I could from my local Halfords! It would be nice to have the car properly detailed because the previous owner obviously thought it was a good idea to stick it through the carwash, don't you just hate that?! Anyway, the swirl marks are currently reduced but not removed, however, I am happy with the result I got from a hard days graft, it a big car!!!!! My wife did her MX-5 at the same time and she finished miles before me :Smile:cheersNeil

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    AG products and me have a love hate relationship, it good to see you are enjoying the benefits of it.:Thumbup:

18. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome Neil.

19. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Love the tourer variant ... Tried to get hold of a gt with sat nav but nothing coming up so opted for the CR-V in the end.
    Looks to be in great nick.
    Best of luck with it and welcome along.