General New Type-R - Initial impressions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelf, Monday 3rd Aug, 2015.

1. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Neil Sheffield
    Hi all,

I had the pleasure of getting my accord serviced on Saturday and had around 1.5 hours to kill in the dealership.

Having owned the previous Type-R, I was very pleased to see that they had the new one, in red in the showroom.

Having witnessed the very drawn out build up of this model release, I was expecting greatness, however from the press photos I have to say I was a little lukewarm, it just seemed a little mismatched. A £30k hatchback that looks to appeal to a youth market, now to me, it looks like a very niche market.

The looks appeal to a 22 year old, but not many of them will be able to afford, insure or run the thing, so maybe they are trying to attract the 30 somethings? Well that's me and I would be a little embarrassed to drive it looking like it does, if I wanted a hot hatch I would be looking at Audi's S3 or RS3.

But I would quickly work out that if I want a performance car for £30k, it wouldn't be a hatch and I'd be tempted by a second hand rs3, rs4, M3, C63 or if I wanted Jap reliability, id look at an ISF and £10k in the bank for the extra fuel! Like I say, I believe the product/price ratio is a little mismatched, to me the marketers looked to have created a car that has no real market appeal for any real sizable market area. That said, there is always a niche ready to buy anything, but is that niche large enough?

OK, enough of my preconception. down to the in-the-flesh experience.

Initially, from the front, the car is a stunner, especially in the red, its sharp and purposeful. Go round the sides and the black wheels look aftermarket to me (like the black wheels that come with the c63) and the gold calipers are a bit naff. Also noticeable is the plastic fake vent behind the front wheels, this looks a bit stuck on and is obviously non-functional. The rear is dominated by 4 round exhaust pipes and that huge spoiler, its at this point where all possibility of me wanting to own one have gone. It just looks like a toy, no subtlety in the design execution at all. If I saw one without knowing of its release, I would assume its a 1.4 converted "Max Power" effort by a college kid living with his parents. Or maybe I'm just getting too old LOL.

But then I say to myself, well, its a fast car and fast cars should look racy, and it does, on the whole.

I step inside... I say step, more like climb!

I love a bolstered seat, but these are taking the p!55! I've never sat in a car with such firm, narrow and vertical base bolsters! I'm not a small man, but I fitted in my old Type-R perfectly and the seats were comfortable and supportive (relatively comfortable as the Accord is in another league). These are just bad seats and whilst they will keep you in place on a track day, climbing over the sides will become tiring and very annoying after a short while owning it. They are also very red - I don't wear a suit to work, but if I did, I can't imagine how awkward I would look driving this!

The rest of the interior is fairly standard, there was a metal plate with a unique number (like all Rs) and a red stripe to tell you where the center of the wheel is... But the rest is normal Civic stuff and this left me wanting more, my previous R's interior was exciting, different and a real feature of the car, sadly the new car is just a little too normal.

I can't comment on the drive, but after seeing it on track at the Goodwood festival of speed this year I can say, its not a nice sound when pushing on, gone is the v-tec howl - a sad thing.

I'm sure the thing is Honda through and through and the way it goes will undoubtedly impress, I'm just hoping that the hardcore drivers out there will be rewarded with a decent driving machine to ensure it has a hold on at least one market, after all that's what "R" is all about to a lot of the followers.

I suppose this review is based on my very initial thoughts and I appreciate some cars grow on you as you own them, (like my old Fabia Vrs diesel did) But I can't help but feel a bit naff'd off that Honda doesn't produce a car that really appeals to me, they are all compromises.

So, here is my Xmas wish to Honda UK:
    • Seats 5 in comfort
    • Has a decent engine note
    • looks sporty but classy
    • Has enough room for a baby and all the stuff needed
    • 0-60 in around 5 seconds
    • Saloon or Estate
    Essentially an Audi S4 equivalent but made by the best engineers in the business, how hard can it be Honda?

Its really sad that the only performance car that Honda do is the new Type-R. Honda are ingrained with racing heritage, its a real shame that they don't offer more than one "racing inspired" road car.

Thanks for reading, I expect there will be a few counter-reviews from people who really like it and that's great, each to their own.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ @Nelf - I also went and had a look at a new Type-R on Saturday afternoon, as I was passing the local dealership. I agree with some of your points, disagree with others.

Specifically, I think what Honda has tried to do is be 'dramatic' and 'different.' The Audi, BMW and VW equivalents look pretty boring - in fact they are hard to distinguish from the run of the mill models. That appeals to some - judging by their sales, more than some (!) - but I think a lot of that is down to people desperate to have 'the badge' as much as it is the appeal of the cars themselves.

Now, different can be good and it can be bad :Laughing:. Parts of the Type-R appeal much more to me having seen it in the flesh than I thought they would - I actually really liked the front seats, but was disappointed that the rear bench wasn't covered in the same material. On such an expensive car, I think that is poor form. I was also, like you, a bit disappointed that most of the interior is standard Civic.

In terms of the various plastic body parts - those will always be a matter of taste. They aren't really to my taste, but then neither are overpriced German cars with poor reliability and ill deserved reputations.

Anyway, I guess they must be doing something right as I understand that the waiting list for the Type-R goes out beyond Christmas if you order one today. Who is buying them? My guess is people who had the original Type-R years ago, and who can now afford a 'fun' car as a luxury...which brings me to my final point.

If they still did an Accord, or do one in the future, you'd hope that this Type-R would be an indication of things to come. Equally, a new S2000 would be welcome. Actually I think the missed opportunity with the Civic is that it IS being marketed as something almost practical. If it were me, I'd have stripped it out even more - no back seats for a start - just as MINI did with the original Cooper S GP. I would have limited it to (say) 2,000 units too. Then it would have truly been a halo car.

^^ Part of the joy of this site is that you can put down your thoughts freely without being shot down! I think your post was very balanced and reasonable :Thumbup:

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I think the styling is reflection of the new era with Turbo's. You look at all the old Type-R's with the high revving N/A engines, every single one of them had very clean subtle look that had a certain grace about it. With the new CTR and Turbo it's gone the opposite way and its brash and in your face. What's funny is the new Focus RS has gone the opposite way its a very clean design whereas in the past RS models where often very brash looking.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will say to all CTR critiques to save their judgement on the looks department until you get behind one of this superb car. You will soon realise you the car has massive potential and it will assault all your senses . I agree there is room for improvement but that left for the owner to make that to their liking .

If I wanted a fast hatch CTR is the one to go for its superb handling and power makes it very capable and desirable car even inexperienced drivers will find the neutral feel of this car to their liking . I would have one tomorrow without the GT spec and make it bespoke to my liking.

5. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ichiban - I agree, that's why I mentioned that I hope the die hard drivers out there will be rewarded with a decent steer, even if the looks aren't to everyone's taste.

I can't comment on the drive as I said. Was it on track or road you drove it? I'd be interested to hear a comparison if you have driven any of the previous Type-R's - I'm guessing, less frantic but way more shove!

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I don't think the performance of the car is under any questions, it is arguably the best hot hatch around not just for performance but driver enjoyment. The issue is more to do with styling, most people seem to say the styling looks much better in the flesh, I haven't seen one yet so can't make full judgment, but some of the bits would put me off like the pram spoiler at the back, the vents, and other tacky plasticky bits on it. Maybe a sign of me getting old, but wild bodykits and looks don't do it for me anymore, at the same time bland styling like your Audi S3's make go snooze. The old Type-R's all had the right amount of styling, look at the EK9 and EP3 they were all simple, elegant but purposeful looking.

Nelf likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    TBH the performance of this CTR is sufficient to make the styling appear insignificant as the car justify that aggressive look. If that look is responsible for performance you need to appreciate you can’t get that performance without it either.
    I @DeviateDefiant @Nels looked at this car and all its aerodynamics features yesterday and all of it is justified bar a few which are questionable. As for tacky plastics well there are a few the vents on the front fender ,the black side vents on the sides and black colour accents all around. Times have moved people want their cars OTT to stand out from the crowd and Honda has just done that.
    Honda in the past has been slated for the run of the mill Japanese look, on this occasion they need to be applauded for that bold step of doing something different. This car is not aimed at 40 plus family man it aimed for the speed addict and price is indicative of the engineering gone into it. We can all sit and slate the car from the luxury of our armchairs but you need to get behind the car and stop judging it by its appearance.

So get off that armchairs and get behind one and open those set in stone minds you will be surprised you can alter your beliefs. Honda has done this all its history and this is yet again this is a brilliant specimen and example of its unique identity.

So well Done Honda and if you lose the older loyal customers then so be it ..times have changed.

exec likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It can't be doubted, the amount of R&D that's gone into this car is absolutely astonishing. They're rapid fast, way more so than any Type-R before it. I could pick other Type-Rs and say, this one did X better, but I don't think there's a need, as an overall package between tech, performance and handling - Honda have really nailed it. Forced induction does make it a very different beast, and also means there's more modding potential than ever before.

...looks are definitely of subjective taste, but hey, they had the current 9th Generation to base it on so there was only so much they could do.

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. Sims77 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mark Sims Stoke on Trent
    There are lads on the Type-R Owners forum that have been down to have a look and test drive the car and are now trying to figure out a way to buy one. They say they're that good!

10. Nelf Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's my point, they appeal to young lads who probably can't afford them...

Glad to hear its a decent drive though, and agree that turbos ad a lot of benefits that just aren't possible with NA.

Sims77 likes this.
  11. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

some great points raised, especially those that are just sitting back and slaggin the car off WITHOUT even driving it. Thats not a go at users on here but on local forums here its been a nightmare ... the bm/audi/vag fan boys are out in droves making negatives and complaining that Honda won't allow test drives unless you have proof of affordability etc and just slating the car on looks alone. You challenge them that Honda at least dares to be different and what does driving a mundane car that looks like every other variant say about you etc. but mostly falls on deaf ears yet people would have killed dead things for something like this not that long ago

Looks are NOT to everyones taste but the overall package is what needs to be looked at here. i am busting to have a go in one as i am more interested in the handling and performance of the car ... cause thats what matters at the end of the day with a Type-R variant
    The price is high ... but then all car prices seem to be astronomical these days ... CRAZY prices and in some ways HUK have that wrong as well with their other models etc.

Personally the only downer for me is how the rear arch finishes up ... just looks spaced out too much from the wheel. I could live with this car based on the way it performs (that is the hope). can't see me ever owning one until a few years have passed and they are on the used market

Have to say that is a bit of a disappointment reading that the materials used in the rear are not the same as front ... thats cost cutting too far HUK and out of order.

exec likes this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I drove a GT86 Aero the other day - it costs 27.5k new. I hated it on the performance side, although I quite like the look. Looks fast, but isnt really, although it does corner nicely, but it cheap and nasty inside - Toyota have seriously dropped the ball game on quality - but on saying that though, the dealer didnt request any proof of affordability from me - I never had any intentions of buying one anyway, I was just bored. So to be fair, I can see why Honda are doing it - it stops people like me just rocking up for a bit of something to do with no intention of buying it.

IF I was looking for a car around the 30k range, the GT86 wouldl be at the bottom of my list, for an extra couple of grand more, I would get teh Type-R.

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

the gt86 is a fabulous handling thing. i love driving it as my bro has one. IMHO Toybaru done a fantastic job on the car it really is a hoot to drive and just brings back DRIVING. yeah not the best finished or the fastest but stuff that its the FUN factor
    if the CTR betters that anyone should be happy who is INTO DRIVING and not what the modern car wants to sell you these days big numbers but no driver appeal.

14. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I do like the handling of it, but thats about it for me personally. Reminded me a bit of the 1st Generation MR2 which had the 4A-GE engine in it. That thing handled like a go kart, loads of power for its time, the GT86 reminded me of that in the handling side. It needs a bit more grunt behind it, an extra 50bhp would be fine I reckon, and a bit better plastics.

I agree with you though, its about the fun factor, just like the MR2 was.