Introductions New Type-S Owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by K24 CL9 GUY, Wednesday 10th Dec, 2014.

1. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Hi all,

Here is my petrol K24 CL9 family/race car ;-) Love this car as with two kids is ideal for the space, comfort and luxury inside but still looks mint and goes very well.

I have only had for about a year and half and have already spent thousands on it with things like competition clutch and lightweight flywheel, WeaponR manifold, custom cat back, lowering spring, 18" Rota wheels, big Brembo brake kit on front and tinted windows etc. Still have a long list of what I would like to do and the goal is 300bhp when prob just over 200 at min and doing a 15.7 quarter mile :Tongue: DSC_0015.JPG DSC_0016.JPG DSC_0210.JPG
    DSC_0205_1.JPG DSC_0191_1.JPG DSC_0060.JPG DSC_0229.JPG DSC_0210.JPG
    DSC_0216_1.JPG

DSC_0230.JPG
    DSC_0228.JPG

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Hey man, welcome to the club. I just moved your post off into its own topic.

Looks like a nice start to a mod list Guy, what engine management are you running? Loving the tail-pipes.

I can't make out from the pictures which Brembo kit you're using, DC5?

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @K24 CL9 GUY - Welcome to the club mate, slap her into our club garage when you get a chance, it will then also show in your signature and help people follow your progress with her.

Check out @DeviateDefiant car - you may find it interesting, he is doing a world of modifications to his too - I reckon we could have a build competition between the two of you :Laughing:

Anyway, his car is here - Defiant's 2.4 Facelift Type-S

Incidentally, who won the drag at santa pod? You or the Civic?

I recognise that car - I think - did you buy it from a chap in Wakefield?

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK. :welcome:
    That's an eye-catching CL9 you've got there.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Sorted out those last two pictures for you @K24 CL9 GUY which werent showing :Niceone:

6. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi DeviateDefiant,

Thanks for the warm welcome and am intrigued to check your CL9 out :Smile:
    With the combination of the custom cat back with 4" pipes aswel as the WeaponR mani n decat sounds unreal (will have to stick a video on at some point ;-)
    Yes is the DC5 upgrade with S2000 Dixcel discs and Ferodo pads.
    I will admit now I am not really that knowledgeable about all to do with tuning cars but am lucky to have many friends who are and also mechanics hence joining here for advice from others who own the same car. The engine management is standard as far as I'm aware???
    You will prob think I'm a fool but hey that's why I'm on here and interested in all can pick up from you guys with experience

Cheers,

Guy.

7. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi Nighthawk,

Just checked DeviateDefiants out and he is winning hands down!!! Has the advantage of living in America where seems is so much more available for these cars Honda/Acura, CL9/CLX? ;-)
    I thought had puy my car in a garage last night when popped up same as did with creating the avatar so may need some instructions lol and please bare with me as slightly special :Tongue:
    Sadly the Civic had me at the end even though pulled off better n did a 15.9 that run but still not really sure how high should let it rev before changing gear - any suggestions?
    I bought it from a lad in Hollyport and was advertised on Pistonheads with bronze wheels before but he had curbed them savagely :-/

Thanks for the welcome,

Guy.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I think no-one a fool mate, we're all at different stages of our journey into the modifying realm :Laughing:

4" is one of the largest systems I've heard go onto a CL9, the thing is, when the exhaust pipe has that little pressure in it, you'll actually drop mid-range torque an awful lot. What most people don't realise is that the exhaust system needs to be balanced to the amount of power you're making, for a stock car the 2.15" stock exhaust is very slightly restrictive (supports 175hp), the common JDM aftermarket size of 2.36" (60mm) removes this restriction, and balances it out better for a close to stock car, and is good to around 225hp, a 2.5" exhaust supports upto around 255hp (and what I'd recommend to anyone doing basic I/H/E bolt-ons and mild head work like most), a 2.75" isn't restrictive to 310hp and what those doing heavy N/A engine work are best going for, a 3" supports 370hp, good for basic forced induction set-ups, 4" can support an insane 655hp. For every 1hp, exhaust/flow dynamics dictates you would generally need to move 2.2CFM of air without restriction, those calcs are basically calculating the area from the inside diameter and looking mathematically at where a restriction crops up, the closer you are to the point of restriction (but under it), the more torque you'll produce because of the pressure.

What I'm trying to get at is that if you slung your car on a dyno, you'd find that for the power you're making right now 2.25" would actually give you the best performance with strong mid-range torque, 4" would make a little power peak HP at the top of the band, but the torque would be a lot less because of the lack of pressure.

I'll do a full write-up on all that at some point, but it's useful information to know. All that said, I want to see a video, I imagine she sounds amazing nonetheless :Hooray:

The DC5 calipers are a solid upgrade, good choice pads manufacturer too - Standard, Premium or DS2500/DS3000?

Aside from the exhaust header which is a very restrictive design in general, the single best place to make gains modifying any CL9 is by getting it remapped. I did a massive write-up on installing FlashPro and getting started here. The important bit to note is the quote below:

I wish I was mate, I'm quite early along my path compared to where I want to be. I'm not even in the Top 10 CL9s in the country as it stands, but that'll change :Laughing:

I'm British, I live in Liverpool :Smile:

9. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi mate,

Firstly oh dear there you go have learnt something I didn't know already about the exhaust tips :-/
    Had no idea would effect mid range torque just thought looked sick with the twin 4" pipes sticking out the back and would have definitely lived with 3" if had known.
    May have to change the tips in the end then if think makes it worse performance wise or just increase to 655bhp :Tongue:

Yeah they are Ferodo DS2500 mate and the Dixcel discs supposed to be decent too.

As for the remap surely I want to do this at the end once have done everything else so get the full benefits???
    Where did you get the ECU from and did it cost much? Will need to look up your flashpro write up as was on list but at the end unless you suggest being sooner and is easily adjusted when adding new parts?

Ha ha sorry bud hope I didn't offend you with the yank comment as think assumed were in America as when scanned other stuff done to your car saw Acura TSX but now realise is the ECU needed for the hondata flashpro ;-)

As from Liverpool do you take your car to TDI North to get stuff done as my mate with a supercharged Civic Type-R takes his there and have seen their 'project barge' project working on the CL9 so may have to pay them a visit for the remap.

Have tried to add a video but says problem occurred - undefined :-(
    Any suggestions??? File too large or summut I guess?

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@K24 CL9 GUY the site won't take videos directly. I believe the way round is to load it on say, You Tube, and then add the URL here.

Nighthawk likes this.
  11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Guy :welcome:

Nice CL9 you've got there. :Niceone:

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You'll find a lot of people always assume bigger is better when it comes to exhausts :Smile:

Excellent pads right there :Smile: How you finding the set-up?

Not at all, I'd recommend it as a first modification to a lot of people. The stock map is really undertuned, VTEC is almost useless, and there's a huge power dip just before it that's easy to tune out, you don't have to go the FlashPro route - that's just the most universal and robust tuning platform out there at the moment (or K-Pro), you can have your stock ECU reflashed too.

The thing with going the FlashPro route is that each and every part can be accommodated for adding maximum gains. Shoving an exhaust header on might gain you 5-8hp on a stock map, it can be 10-15hp once tuned. You'll literally transform the feel of the car on even a stock CL9, I'd say it's priority number one.

I went hunting with USA breakers to find an ECU then had it collected and shipped across for me, they're highly sort after by the yanks, and breakers would rather ship domestically anyway than deal with international orders. I just did the same thing for @SpeedyGee, mine worked out at around £120, his about £95 to our doors. The funny thing is every single other person who'd gone down this route in the UK has paid £250+, some as much as £500. I'd suggest ringing around US breakers to find an ECU and see if you can get them to ship.

FlashPro itself will cost around £500 from either a UK supplier, or by importing it yourself - I saved about £40 but I'd say just get that from a UK supplier.

Yeah you got it mate, no offence taken at all :Smile:

I don't mate, and I personally wouldn't recommend TDI North, you can PM me if you want more views on that but it wouldn't be fair to them if I posted publicly as it's opinion and not fact. Yeah Paul's been working on Project Barge for a fair while now, but progress seems to have stalled. I know most of the CL9s they've worked on in the past.

My car is tuned by VitViper, a fairly infamous race tuner from the states. I would highly recommend him. but "eTuning" (datalogging driving in various conditions, and sending back and forth maps in multiple steps) is a long and laborious process.

I would recommend either Will at RaceDynoTuning, or Romain at EuroSpec for dyno tuning.

As @Nels says, the site doesn't currently support video uploads - YouTube is the best bet, but we are looking for a solution.

13. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

[QUOTE="DeviateDefiant,You'll find a lot of people always assume bigger is better when it comes to exhausts :Smile:

• Ha ha my brother will be upset when tell him his 5" pipe has out the back of his 200bhp Fiesta ST is making it slower ;-)

Excellent pads right there :Smile: How you finding the set-up?

• Set up is mint mate as I'm not one to drive slow unless have the kids n misses in the car so is reassuring to have plenty of stopping power.

Not at all, I'd recommend it as a first modification to a lot of people. The stock map is really undertuned, VTEC is almost useless, and there's a huge power dip just before it that's easy to tune out, you don't have to go the FlashPro route - that's just the most universal and robust tuning platform out there at the moment (or K-Pro), you can have your stock ECU reflashed too.

The thing with going the FlashPro route is that each and every part can be accommodated for adding maximum gains. Shoving an exhaust header on might gain you 5-8hp on a stock map, it can be 10-15hp once tuned. You'll literally transform the feel of the car on even a stock CL9, I'd say it's priority number one.

I went hunting with USA breakers to find an ECU then had it collected and shipped across for me, they're highly sort after by the yanks, and breakers would rather ship domestically anyway than deal with international orders. I just did the same thing for @SpeedyGee, mine worked out at around £120, his about £95 to our doors. The funny thing is every single other person who'd gone down this route in the UK has paid £250+, some as much as £500. I'd suggest ringing around US breakers to find an ECU and see if you can get them to ship.

FlashPro itself will cost around £500 from either a UK supplier, or by importing it yourself - I saved about £40 but I'd say just get that from a UK supplier.

• Well this procedure has now bumped its way up the list then. Could have got the ECU and Flashpro in January as working few days over xmas at £200 a day BUT now have to sort this gear changing issue out first :-( **** Would you lend me a hand in locating the ECU when the time comes? ****

I don't mate, and I personally wouldn't recommend TDI North, you can PM me if you want more views on that but it wouldn't be fair to them if I posted publicly as it's opinion and not fact. Yeah Paul's been working on Project Barge for a fair while now, but progress seems to have stalled. I know most of the CL9s they've worked on in the past.

My car is tuned by VitViper, a fairly infamous race tuner from the states. I would highly recommend him. but "eTuning" (datalogging driving in various conditions, and sending back and forth maps in multiple steps) is a long and laborious process.

I would recommend either Will at RaceDynoTuning, or Romain at EuroSpec for dyno tuning.

• Will chat further about this at some point then mate as am intrigued.

As @Nels says, the site doesn't currently support video uploads - YouTube is the best bet, but we are looking for a solution.[/QUOTE]
    • Have never posted anything on YouTube before so will have to see if easy enough to do but yeah would be a good thing for you guys to look at as was going to post a couple vids of her going down the strip @ SantaPod :Smile:
    Thanks, Guy.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

ROFL, hey, it's the sound that people want right? Seriously though, chuck it on a dyno with something half the size and you'll see the figures go up! My calcs were from the K20/K24 mind, other engines do flow differently.

Good to hear man, I think I'll be going for a BBK at some point, but for now stock calipers, Brembo discs and Ferodo pads are giving me just about all I need. Until more power piles on :Laughing:

Yes I will mate, I don't mind helping out others in participate in the club at all - but it took around 2 months to find @SpeedyGee a M/T ECU, I wasn't kidding by how fast they go. You can use the A/T ECUs which are way easier to get on your M/T, I find 10 at any given time, but reverse lockout won't work (ie. there's nothing stopping you from going into reverse when moving forward, normally there's a ECU controlled mechanism triggered to stop this). If you have confidence in no mis-shifts, it is the easiest route.

These days it's pretty much drag and drop, if you get stuck, Dropbox it to me and I'll pop it on the HK channel :Smile:

15. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

• How do you reply in the way you do mate?

• Will look into this then but not very tech minded lol and how do I Dropbox you?
    Thanks again,

Guy.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

If you highlight text, you'll see a pop-up appear where you can select "Reply with Quote", just write a response, and move onto the next. Or you can click the "Store Quote" button instead and build up several, then click the "Insert Quotes" button below the reply box to put them in all at once - this also works across multiple posts.

Dropbox is an app, you can download for your computer, phone or tablet, it's for uploading and storing pictures, videos and any other type of files you wish. You can then access them on any device you're on, or use the built-in options to share a link (or email to others).

Basically, you can install the app, create an account, you'll have a new share option on your video to upload to Dropbox, once that's done open Dropbox and find the new video, select the "Copy Link" share option and paste it to me in a message. Easier than it sounds.

17. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Like so?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Yey :-D

18. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

19. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

MickyB likes this.
  20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team