Tyres & Wheels New Tyres Fitted

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by cred, Sunday 9th Mar, 2014.

1. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Ever since I got my car last April, the car was always pulling to the left. I had it 4-wheel aligned on Hunter but did not improve much. I first discussed the issue here:

http://hondakarma.com/threads/is-rear-camber-adjustment-possible-on-a-59-plate-type-s.4766/

...and then here:

http://hondakarma.com/threads/pulling-to-one-side.9245/

Anyway to cut a long story short, I fitted 4 new Michelin Primacy 3 tyres last week and all of the sudden the pull has disappeared as if it was never there. I am not sure if its because the tyres are new and the issue with pull will come back once they wear out a bit but for now its all good.

I am extremely happy with the result and the tyres are uber quiet (Euro ratings are C - Fuel; A - Braking distance; A- Road noise 69db). I almost went for Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance (better Euro ratings B/A/A and cheaper £££) but I've always gone for Michelins in all my previous cars so I guess its a brand I trust plus as they say the only bit of contact you have with the road. I believe new Accords with 18" also now get Michelins as standard on them.

Recent changes at work mean I don't drive as much as I used to but I'll report tread wear (Michelin rating 240) as time progresses.

2. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    The Accords, most notably the 7th Generation, can sometimes be very prone to tram lining on certain makes of tyre. Usually budget tyres cause the worst effects. What seems such a little issue can ruin the handling and feel of a car.

Good to hear you've found a tyre that appears to have overcome the issue. 2 or 3 other members have reported good results on the Primacy tyres as well. They seem like a popular choice. Keep us updated on the wear and if the issue returns over time.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Seems a lot are now going for the Primacy 3s, they sorted my issues out perfectly and are great tyres in general even though my tracking still isn't 100% spot on. Did you go for the XL reinforced versions or the standard ones?

I would like to note for the record, the sidewalls are extremely thin so watch yourself on curbs - I somehow blew one of mine without even realising I'd gone into something. My tyre guy showed me a comparison of an older (non-eco) tyre and the difference in thickness was insane. Either way they seriously perform in handling, road noise and braking.

I'm not sure what the tread levels are from new, but if you want to measure yours @cred, I can let you know exactly how many miles I've covered since fitting mine and how much that's affected the tread.

I think in general the advice when these problems occur should be to go for high load rating tyres as well as tracking and wheel balancing. If camber is excessively out of spec then aftermarket adjustable camber arms should be fitted.

4. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    As a matter of fact, the previous owner did have budget tyres on - 2x Arrowspeed and 2x Roadstone. They had plenty of tread (probably almost new) when I bought the vehicle and even when I took them off, they had over 3mm.

I got the XL ones (225/50 R17 98V XL). V were cheaper than W because they're more common on the BMW 5-series as well as Ford Galaxy but I read somewhere a higher speed rating means they dispense heat better.

Good point about the sidewalls - I tend to be a bit liberal when it comes to using the kerb as a marker, will need to be careful going forward.

Would be nice to know how many miles you've covered and what the tread's like.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Mine are 225/45/R17 94W XL, I've actually only covered 2541 miles since I had them fitted so I guess this isn't as useful a metric as I thought.
    Rears are on about 7mm, and Fronts are 5/6mm with one being newer than the other as one went pop, going to rotate my tyres front to back before long.

When I popped one, I honestly don't know what I could have gone into - that's the worrying part. Was driving through the village back home, just went round a junction got to about 20mph and had a loud pop. Luckily I was only 30 yards from my mothers place. I wish driving on our small space savers upon no-one, I was literally driving at 10mph around roundabouts to stop the rear end swinging out when I went to grab the new tyre.

6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I'm having the same problem, quick visit to ATS to check the tracking which was spot on, still have a slight pull to the left. Both front tyres are Goodyear.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

How worn are the tyres and as it uneven at all? What load rating are they?

There is always a slight pull to the left by design, aside from the fact that the natural contour of the road will pull you there, the idea is that if you were to fall asleep at the wheel, you'd go off the road and not into traffic. I'm sure you know if this is past the "standard" amount by comparison to other cars you've driven :Smile:

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    This is a complete urban myth. The camber on a road it to allow the water to drain off it nothing more. If the camber was the opposite way the water would pool in the middle of the road. If the road was flat the water wouldn't drain off it at all and just sit there.

I'm sure the government would rather have people stay on the road if they fell asleep at the wheel rather than in the grass verge, down a bank, or into a tree or river. The death toll would be lower.

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I was making two separate points mate, that the car is designed to have a slightly left bias, and that the contour of the road will also naturally pull you to the left. I'm well aware the second is so that rainwater can drain :Smile:

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Sorry mate I read that as 1 point. I had a friend who used to swear blind the camber was to direct the car into the verge if you fell asleep to slow you down, which is exactly what would happen to him - when he hit the lamp post. That's what it sounded like you were suggesting.

11. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all

I just had Yokohama Advan Sport V105S fitted to the front. They replaced Continental Wintercontact and Bridgestone. These had 4-5mm on em.

I 've only done 300miles in them so far but i am impressed. Very steady at high speed.

The rears are Michelin Premacy bty.

I paid £120ish per tyre from lovetyres. Very impressed so far. Will keep you all informed.

12. cred Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom London
    Do you by any chance maintain a spreadsheet of maintenance records, stuff spent etc? I'll admit to it if you do :Devil:

When driving in Europe on the other side, I have found the car (not my Honda) to pull to the right but only ever so slightly.

When discussing my pull to the left (which in my opinion was moderate to severe) the tracking guy asked me why I felt the need to take my hand off the wheel! :telloff:

@royalblue I might open a whole can of worms here but don't you have to fit new tyres at the back to give you more control of the vehicle in bad weather?

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Am I about to join the first meeting of maintenance records anonymous.

So you can stick your head through the sunroof as you drive along - obviously! The tracking guy clearly had no concept of tyre wear or driver fatigue.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well, I have a huge folder with all my receipts and invoices for work done and where possible parts (though breakers and eBay sellers don't always provide receipts). Half the reason I'm so thorough with my cars "Projects" thread is so that it's easy for me to see where and when I did particular work. I still daren't put together a formal document, I'd cry seeing how much I spend on my girl :Laughing:

I can remember when I was going through sorting all my tracking issues out and the mother decided she would find this problem out for herself. The car was pulling severely to the left at this point and you'd have been at 90 degrees before you knew it. She said it's fine, it stays straight when you hold the wheel at the right angle :Tumbleweed:

Like front brake pads, front tyres always wear faster than the back (in FWD cars). It's pretty common to just replace them by axle. I'm rotating my tyres front to back soon so that I can try and wear the whole set down evenly, I'll be swapping rims when I'm through these tyres so don't want anything wasted.

15. royalblue Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Michelins Premacys are the rear are 4-5mm so couldn't justify changing at this moment...but will later on.

16. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine has got some El Cheapo tyres on, but there is a fair bit of tread on them so I may let them stay until nearer winter. I noticed the other day that they are 245/45/17, presumably because they're cheaper. How much difference would that make to the speedo, fuel consumption etc?

17. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just noticed that I'm listed as a Junior Member. At 60 it's a long time since I've been called a Junior anything.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

:Laughing: Take a look here for a rank breakdown.

19. Snapper69 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmmm, just a few more posts needed then. Looking at tyre prices yesterday and I see that, obviously, the best prices are mail order and get it fitted yourself. However I don't really fancy that idea, so I was looking at fitted prices. One of the cheapest I found was Asda Tyres, they are doing the Michelin Primacy 3, reinforced version, at £113.94 for the 225/45/17, fitted at a local depot.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Primacy 3s are superb tyres, I have them myself (and paid £117 fitted last year if memory serves). Just don't get them if you're someone who hits curbs regularly as the sidewalls are really thin and easy to pop.