Introductions New user, looking for an accord!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ying Lai, Sunday 17th Mar, 2013.

1. Ying Lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I've previously driven a Civic but need a bigger car for the family now. I have looked at other choices, EG. i40 saloon, insignia, passat cc and 3 series but after thinking long and hard, I decided to stay with jap and decided to go for an accord.

I would prefer the newer shapes, i think 2004 onwards?

I would be doing around 8-10k miles a year and would like you guys to lead me to the right direction?

I would prefer a manual but not bothered about diesel or petrol.

Last but not least, are there any common faults I need to look for if viewing the car?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited: Sunday 17th Mar, 2013
  2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and welcome to AOC
    Newest shape is 2008 onwards so i presume you are looking for 7th Generation Accord.
    Based on your mileage you would be better off with petrol i think.
    Have a read through 7th Generation section,all common fault are listed there.Not too much to worry about with petrol models.
    Good luck in your hunt.

3. Ying Lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the quick response!

What engine would you recommend me going for? and how many different petrol engines are there?

Is there any specs or body kits standard/extras on models?

Sorry im asking too much question but i want to get the perfect car for the family ;D

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There are 2 petrol engines available 2.0 and 2.4 litre.
    2.4 has a bit more grunt,test drive both if you can and see what you prefer.
    Type-S is the one with body kit and EX model is one with the toys sat nav,leather seats etc etc.Again personal preference.

Last edited: Sunday 17th Mar, 2013
  5. Ying Lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im a bit confused now, I see 2.4 and 2.0 Type-S..

with the Civic, the Type-R is just 2.0 =/

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The Accord Type-R was discontinued after the 6th Generation, only Type-S is available from the 7th Generation onwards.

Look carefully and you'll find a few Type-S around with the EX upgrades (leather, sat nav etc.), I managed to find a couple on my search for an Accord. The 2.4 is the same regardless of trim chosen, however with the 8th Generation the Type-S (diesel 2.2) has been tuned differently to other trims.

7. Ying Lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I like it ! ... if that mileage is genuine that is stupendously low miles for a cruiser.

Personally though I prefer the Exec spec, you get full leather and sat nav.

Get the MOT certificate number off the current owner and do a MOT online check on it, that should show mileage on previous MOTs.

9. Ying Lai Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply but I think I've kinda decided on the 2009-2010 2.2 Dtec ES GT model. I like the shape and gadgets it come with.

Are there any common faults or things I have to look out for on this certain model? I want the best I can get for the family :Grin:

Oh and even though I do 8-10k mileage a year, it will mainly be motorway driving. =]

If I do however decide to get a 2.4 petrol, is there much you can do to it in terms of modifications? And if i decided to change the head unit how would i go by doing that?

Any ideas guys?

Last edited: Wednesday 20th Mar, 2013
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The 2.0 Type-S was on the 7th Generation Facelift.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You would have been better with a petrol TBH for that mileage are you juts buying the diesel for modification i.e more power?

The 2.4 is faster than the I-DTEC standard 2.2 the Type-S may have he top end grunt which will keep both level.

Head unit is heavily integrated with aircon and other features even if you changed it find a bezel or trim off the shelf may be difficult. I have not seen anyone with a modified one yet.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Head units have been installed on the 8th Generation Civics, if you can get a bezel for the Accord then the process should be the same. Essentially the existing head unit is still needed as it also contains the electronics for climate control. The wiring harness is extended (minus the speaker wires) and the current head unit is relocated to be out of site (typically to the glove box). The new head unit is installed using the bezel and the wires connected up to link it to the vehicles existing speaker wires.