Facelift Model New Windscreen - Ouch!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by JAB, Wednesday 17th Dec, 2014.

1. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I unfortunately managed to get a large chip on the windscreen from a flying stone which was not repairable and resulted in a new windscreen this morning.

Beware everyone with an 8th Generation Accord, I was told by the repair company that this model is the only one on our roads which in addition to the windscreen also requires new body coloured trims on either side which are only available from Honda. When the trims are removed the securing clips underneath break off every time.

The new screen was £240 plus Vat and wait for it, the 2 plastic trims were £210.48 plus Vat making a grand total of £540.57p - OUCH!

My car is only 18months old, I wonder in whether 6 or 7 years time an Accord owner will want to pay out for these expensive trims, that is if they are still available.

Merry Christmas everyone.

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Can you not claim on your insurance?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    As Paul says, windscreen should be covered by your insurance with the claim not affecting your claim history.

4. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I will be claiming on the insurance, I simply wanted everyone to be aware of the very expensive trim parts which really should be re useable.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I take that utter rubbish statement was made by Autoglass, mate you don't want those guys anywhere your car they have no idea how the side trims go on let alone seal and sit the glass correctly. I would tell your insurance company to take it to a Honda body shop they have all the experience , skill and knowhow, how to fit them.

Autpoglass should be renamed to autoshyte.

As for glass there is plenty since our Accord as not common as muck people won't stock it as it dead stock so take that with a pinch of salt you will easily get glass directly from Honda. Make's my blood boil when these jackasses don't have a clue.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Nope they are safety item for pedestrian safety they are design to destroy on the smallest impact , Honda for you looking after J walkers. LOL

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Company who replaced the screen was "Trade Price" they were organised by our Transport Manager who uses them for all our company vehicles.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm pretty sure that when my windscreen trims were replaced earlier this year, all that was actually replaced were the clips not the whole trim. If they did replace the whole trim, then they replicated a couple of stone chips on them as well...:Grin:

Mind you, the windscreen was left in situ, so that may have been the difference?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Never heard of that firm mate.

9. AccordBuzz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jack
    Make sure you get the integrated sun-strip at the top too. Don't let them fob you off.

10. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My windscreen (2010 8th Generation with ADAS) was replaced a couple of weeks ago after picking up a small chip but in the 'red zone'. Insurance company (Generali in France) said take it to Carglass (same group as Autoglass). They were very helpful but couldn't find the right screen in their system so told me to take it to Honda. Dealer did the job themselves, kept the car two days but gave me a new Civic loaner and when I got the Accord back I noticed it had new side trims. Generali settled up direct with the dealer. Only thing I've noticed is that the wipers sensor seems a bit more sensitive.