Introductions Newbie

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by gazz, Tuesday 4th Dec, 2012.

1. gazz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

Newbie here. Pick up a 2.4 S-Type Tourer tomorrow. FSH with about 83,000 on the clock. Very nice condition and think I got a good price £2600.

Been through the MOT history and the only time it failed was back in 2010, with the following:

Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage fractured (2.4.G.1)
    Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Rear brake binding (3.7.A.5a)
    Nearside Rear wheel bearing An item not tested (Manual)
    Rear brake application uneven (3.7.A.5c)

It has been MOT's twice since with no failures. Is there anything above that I should be concerned about, i.e can any of the above be "fudged" to get through a couple of MOTs.

Also, don't think there is anything wrong with the exhaust, but noticed it is nigh on impossible to find an after-market exhaust. Anyone point me in the direction of one?

Likely to be more questions, but thanks for having me.

2. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi Gazz and welcome to AOC
    Good choice of car and engine,enjoy it.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Gazz and welcome to AOC :Hey:all the bits listed under MOT are normal and expected as per the mileage indicated. They are all routine serviceable parts and not too expensive.

make sure the engine oil looks clean if not get the seller change it as part of the sale , for everything else we are here to assist just ask . Plenty of owners who will offer their time to help you and with the greasy bits.
  4. gazz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the response and help guys. Looking forward to picking the motor up.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome aboard Gazz. As IchibanAccord says the listed items aren't difficult or expensive to repair so they will very likely have been fixed, hence they didn't reappear.
  6. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Welcome to the club Gazz!
  7. gazz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

Well MOT time today and failed on the following:

1. Offside front lower(front bush) suspension arm rubber bush bonding deteriorated resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.2]
    2. Exhaust major leak of exhaust gases [7.1.2] - they said they would weld this for £30. However, the emissions passed fine with no issues so am a little confused as to why a blowing exhaust has failed.

They want £200 for the lot.

Any idea where I can get item 1 from and is it a relatively easy job? (I am reasonably competent...father in law more so).

PS I think I will gum the exhaust and then get a custom fitted next month.
  8. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Rubber bushes are cheap stuff. You will pay more for labour than for a part itself. Should be loads on ebay, or call HH. Shouldnt be expensive.