General Night Before De-Icer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eternal422, Tuesday 7th Feb, 2012.

1. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just sprayed some night before de-Icer on all windows to see if it prevents or at least makes the morning de-icing easier tomorrow morning. But I'm now wondering whether I've made a mistake as it looks pretty oily and I can only think I'll now have smeary glass all round in the morning !:Frown:

Also not sure I like the warnings about removing any overspray from paintwork!

Has anyone else had any experience with this stuff?
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've never used the stuff myself and to be honest don't use de-icer at all. I just have a rubber edged scrapper. I've found by the time i've sprayed all my windows and they've misted up and then cleared I can have it all scrapped off and be on the road.

Does sound worrying about the paintwork warning....
  3. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agree with Paul, haven't used deicer for years. Always found it a complete waste of time, just mists up windows.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have never used de-icer for the same reasons, I user a triangle Honda Scraper which i bought from Holdcroft a few year ago. They may have some in stock..

You think de-icer is the worst majority of my neighbours pour hot water out of kettle straight on their windscreens.
  5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I saw someone doing that the other morning and just cringed.
  6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Don't use it either...I find the clear windscreen and rear window/mirror buttons on the 7th Generation work pretty quickly and are a big improvement over the 6th Generation...such that I don't bother putting an old sheet on the windscreen overnight any more.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    just shake my head in disgust , but the strange thing is none of the windscreen have shattered all these years. Is luck favouring them:Messed: as logic would dictate rapid temperature change would crack the glass.

Not a single one them have had any issues.
  8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Maybe they are wise to it and just use lukewarm water out the hot tap...I think you'd be dicing with it using hot.
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Techincally I suppose you could use just cold water and it should do the trick. Still prefer the scrapper.
  10. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Think I'll be looking at some glass cleaning and also chrome cleaning (which now are smeary with the night before deicer) this weekend! I'll let you know how the frost is in the morning. But I'm starting to think that using nothing but a scraper is the way to go!
  11. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I miss my old Golf on frosty mornings.
    Put kettle on, nip out and start it with heater on full bung, lock it with the spare key, and by the time I'd had a cuppa the car was toasty.:Wink:

The #1 good time fun about the 7th Generation is the gigantic washer bottle in it. I can tip four and a half litres of the Tesco super strength stuff in there and it's good down to about -10.
    ...nothing worse than the streaky windscreen syndrome in the mornings. :eek:

(Where you see people on the motorway trying to throw water from a bottle across their windscreens at 70mph, and all they get is a very cold wet arm. :Grin: )
  12. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok - no frost so had smeary windscreen from the night before deicer. Washed off with water which promptly froze so had to scrape that off. Washer ran out of water halfway to work. I'll be cleaning all the glass tonight and never using the night before deicer again !!
  13. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Back from work - cleaned all glass with Cif then vinegar. Washed rest of car thanks to the streaks from washing the windows. Still got some grease on the windows, but it will have to do for now until more daylight and time. Thank you night before deicer!! Never again!!
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You didn't need to go to all that length bud, warm water with fairy washing up liquid is a superb anti degreaser. Never use fairy liquid on body panels thou.
  15. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well at least you've taken the pain for us all and I know I won't be buying that!
  16. herohonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I havent used de-icer for a while now aswell, Not sure if others have noticed, but when i used de-icer, it use to leave the rubber and plastic trimmings slightly grey.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I tend not to use de icer there's nothing like standing in the chilling Yorkshire wind freezing your koogles off wrapped up warm scraping the windows. Lovely especially after a night at work. Pity the other morons around don't appreciate this and take time to do it instead of what I call the credit card scrape!!! You know the credit card sized clear patch on the windscreen so they can see enough to drive at 70 mph to work. Just between us I love seeing them coming alongside my hgv a quick spray of the washers and oh has it iced up your little peep hole mmmmmmmm
  18. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

IIRC you can get pulled for not clearing your windows properly.
    (possily for not having them fully demisted either)

Wooster thinks this is a good thing.:Wink:
  19. herohonda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't see why people don't remove the ICE off their windows, it only takes couple of minutes, and whilst your scraping your ICE off, the car is warming up aswell so thats even better.
  20. LJG Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a good scrapper, which I use when I finish work, going back home.

In the morning, I have a bucket in the kitchen, fill it with about 4 fingers height of hot water e top up the rest of the bucket with cold water from the tap. It gives me the perfect cold water temperature, the sort of cold water you get out of the tap during Summer months. This is perfect and very safe as it will not crack or break the glass. I have done for many years and never ever did it break any glass.

I go round the car and pour the water over all the glass around. Simple, filling bucket and pouring around takes 4 minutes flat. I start the car first and the wipers clear the water before it refreezes.