Accord/7th Gen NightHawk Black Accord full detail (completed over 2 days)

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by SpeedyGee, Friday 30th Sep, 2016.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I needed to do a full detail on a neglected NightHawk Black Accord.

This car has not been well looked after at all. When I first saw it, it had layers of tree sap on the paint, moving your hand across the panel felt like you were stroking sand paper. It was that bad I actually thought it would need a full respray to bring the paintwork back to life again.

Unfortunately the pictures I have don't really show how bad the paintwork was.

Probably the bonnet picture is the most telling of how bad it was :-
    IMG_0006. IMG_0011. IMG_0012. IMG_0013. IMG_0015. IMG_0014. IMG_0005. IMG_0010. IMG_0016.

A couple of close ups of the bonnet
    IMG_0008. IMG_0009.

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Need to get that rust spot sorted before it gets too deep mate

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've been gathering some detailing stuff for a while, having not done any proper detailing before I've had to basically get everything

I'd already got a DA Polisher thanks to @DeviateDefiant, this was a little (or rather not so little) thank you gift for doing some work on his car last year. Thank you for that Leo :Thumbup:

So I purchased the following from CleanYourCar.co.uk :-
    Meguiar’s Soft Buff Foam Finishing Pad Pad Size - 125mm (5")
    Meguiar’s Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad Pad Size - 125mm (5")
    Meguiars #83 Cleaner/Polish
    Meguiars Bodyshop #9 Swirl Remover
    Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze
    CarPro Iron-X
    Natty's Black Paste Wax

This Saturday I finally got round to starting to use the stuff.

I did a snow foam, two bucket wash and then clayed the car.

I then started on the bonnet, which was by far the worst area of the car. I went over the whole bonnet working small areas at a time, 3 times with the Swirl Remover, 2 times with the Cleaner/Polish and then once with Show Car Glaze, this took me 3 whole hours. Finished off the bonnet with Natty's Paste Wax, here's the end result :-

1. 2. 3. 4.
    5. 6.

4. Nighthawk Guest

They do look fantastic when polished up. Good stuff. What a difference

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Tell me about it ! I'm kinda scared that I'll make it more pronounced if I try and tackle it :help:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You may have spotted that I totally forgot to IronX it before commencing the polishing DOHHH !!

After doing the bonnet I spent another 2 hours doing all of the near side, again I did it from start to end, swirl remove, polish, glaze, wax, as I knew I won't be able to complete the whole car in one go.

By this time it had started to get dark so the pictures aren't great

14.JPG 15.JPG 16.JPG

So this was all done last Saturday about 6 hours spent on it all, bonnet fully done and also near side. I didn't get any free time on Sunday as I was out all day.

jazzway and AccordCU2 like this.
  7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When can I book my car in for full treatment then?:Wink:

Really good job .:Niceone:
    I see you caught detailing bug.
    I can't be bothered and just don't have any time to do it.

Nighthawk likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I wouldn't say I've caught the bug, it's more out of necessity that I'm doing it :Smile:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  9. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair play.
    My car is in desperate need of good clean and winter protection but I just can't do it.
    Might have to pay someone to do it for me.

10. Nighthawk Guest

I find it relaxing. Bring her down to me @SpeedyGee and il help you give her a good clean

jazzway likes this.
  11. jazzway Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Netherlands Marlène Maasgouw
    Great job, Speedy! And I read you are getting help with the rest. A little TLC and you have a new car! :Smile: Only thing that must be done is that rusty spot on the bonnet...

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

If it was a rusted bolt we were talking about, I'd have it sorted in no time at all, bolt freed and loosened off, thread cleaned up and new bolt put on etc as this more my territory.

With it being a tiny little rust spot on a massive panel, I've just been a little hesitant to tackle it. If I don't address it correctly it could become a rather prominent little spot that really stands out. But I do agree that it needs to be tackled.

jazzway likes this.
  13. Nighthawk Guest

The issue is that its likely to be in an area where the bonnet is double skinned. If it pops through onto the inner skin then you will have to replace the bonnet.

Il help you mate but we need to do it whilst the weather is still ok. It won't be perfect but it won't spread either

SpeedyGee and jazzway like this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Managed to complete the detailing on the outside of the car today. Spent another 5 hours on it, so that's 10 hours in total to detail the outside.

I didn't touch the front bumper at all as this has some scuffs and scrapes on it, so it will need a respray.

IMG_H1. IMG_H3. IMG_H4. IMG_H5.

Last edited: Saturday 8th Oct, 2016
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speedy you can detail mate now you have completed your jedi training :Yoda:, wow this is news to me your retiring the old girl for this?