Civic Nitrogen tyres

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pastore, Thursday 31st Dec, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    I usually go petrol station like every couple of weeks to check the pressure and add more air to my tyres but i put new tyres on last month and they where filled with nitrogen, so can i still check it and add air at the petrol station or do i need to go to a garage?

anyone know? thanks

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I've got no idea @pastore but reading this from the AA:

Filling tyres with nitrogen | AA

It indicates that you can top up with air, but that will negate any advantages of having nitrogen filled tyres in the first place - well, that is my reading of it anyway.

I'd wait for somebody with more knowledge to reply before doing anything!

3. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ok thanks, i might just buy a cheap tyre pressure monitor just to check it, Ring Automotive Digital Tyre & Tread Depth Gauge | Maplin

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Nitrogen? Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

HondaHeritage likes this.
  5. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

whats funny about that? its what they put in my new tyres last month

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Hopefully you didn't pay extra?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    AccordCU2 likes this.
  8. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Should give you an extra 1mph flat out, worth the extra you pay for it.

John Dickson likes this.
  9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm pretty sure it's a total rip-off. Even IF (big if) they do actually use pure nitrogen, then the benefits from excluding oxygen are extremely small, especially when you consider that the outside of the tyre is still exposed to normal air!
    - - - Updated - - -
    In summary, I would recommend you top up with normal air.

10. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

so basically deflat the whole thing at the petrol station and fill with air? do i literally deflat the whole tire?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Give me strength.. pastore ever considered selling the car and using public transport?

jimjams and HondaHeritage like this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

@pastore

No, you don't need to deflate the tyres. Just leave them as they are, check the pressures regularly and if they need topping up just use normal air.

Zebster likes this.
  13. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

lol, i told u i don't know jack about cars, travelcards in london cost like £9 a day, no thanks
    - - - Updated - - -
    ok thanks, i will do that

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Never had this done myself so have no experience but the theory behind the idea is that tyres inflated with air eventually lose pressure because most of the gasses in air can eventually migrate through the molecular structure of the tyre.

The nitrogen atom is too big to migrate through the rubber's structure and therefore the tyre stays inflated until you get a puncture or let the nitrogen out.

Whether it actually works or not I haven't got a clue as I've never had it done myself.

I'm a bit OCD with tyre pressures and now having TPMS the car gives readings and would alarm if necessary so never had low pressure unless I have a puncture of course.

15. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Like nitrogen, oxygen is also diatomic (so an O2 molecule) and is therefore reasonably large in atomic terms... it isn't going to leak out very quickly!

The other 'quasi-science' thing about using nitrogen is that there is no oxygen to react with the tyre rubber and cause deterioration.

John Dickson likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Aside from the outside then, where's is constantly in contact with air and very often in contact with water :Grin:

John Dickson likes this.
  17. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not to mention ultraviolet light degradation which is what kills all tyres eventually unless wear/damage gets there first.

Tyres being black means they absorb the most UV radiation than any other colour but I don't like the idea of putting white tyres on my car.

18. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

A study carried out found that putting nitrogen in road going tyres was a waste of time and money... and offered absolutely no advantage in road use or wear. You see, nitrogen molecules are smaller than oxygen molecules, and tyres are slightly porous. So nitrogen will actually leech out faster that if you used normal air.

It's fine in racing because the tyres are made from a totally different type of compound and structure and only have to remain at a constant pressure for a small number of laps. The nitrogen you will get at any garage is not even the same as the pure nitrogen used in racing.

I always keep my tyres topped up to 1-2psi above recommended and check either weekly of fortnightly around the same time I do my oil and fluid checks.

jimjams likes this.
  19. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    LOL

20. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Air is almost 80% nitrogen in any case.

Heckler likes this.