Engine & Gearbox No Clutch....

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by MattyP, Sunday 18th Oct, 2015.

1. MattyP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Matt Reading
    Hi All, driving the FR-V tonight and on changing gear the clutch pedal hit the floor and didnt come back up.
    Now its home looking under the hood, the clutch fluid resivour is full and now pulling the pedal up and down with my hand (as it has no spring action) its spiting fliud out of a hole at the back of the master cylinder. Attached a pic of what im trying badly to explain. Any one able to help me understand whats wrong?? Cheers all

20151018_181846.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 18th Oct, 2015
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That missing a bolt !
    - - - Updated - - -
    Try and see if it's broken or just unscrewed itself.

If it's unscrewed then the fix is simple, find a replacement bolt and tighten up.

Nighthawk likes this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I've changed two of those CMC's now and those bolts remaining look pretty big in comparison to what was on my OEM one. As @SpeedyGee says though, missing a bolt, you will therefore have no pressure build up and subsequently no clutch.

4. MattyP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @SpeedyGee i took out on3 of the bolts remaining and tried to put it into the hole but it didn't seem to turn into a thread but i can't see far enough in to see if the bolts sheered of in there but that seems strange for it to break in there. Unless the bolts just fallen out but its a different size maybe. Will get a better look tomorrow in daylight. Thanks for the quick reply @SpeedyGee and @Nighthawk

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Use a mirror or perhaps use the front camera of your phone as a mirror and see what you can see.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. MattyP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So an update, had a look at this bolt thats missing and the bolt had sheered of in the hole. So i took the cover plate off to try get a better look and the metal disc inside had cracked in half and with the bolt been sheered of decided to just fit a new CMC. Having done that and tried to bleed the fluid through, the pedal just hits the floor still. No resistance at all checked for leaks but there's none. Starting to thing its something more serious.?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's not unusual to have trouble bleeding a clutch system.

They can be tricky to bleed, what was your bleed procedure ?

8. MattyP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Put a hose on the slave bleed nipple into a jam jar with some fluid in, pumped the pedal and kept filling up the fluid resivour topped it up 5-6 times but still nothing at all.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Replace the slave as well if it were me - they are cheap enough, might as well do it whilst the system is being worked on. The plate was cracked within my Accords CMC as well when I replaced it.

don't "pump" the clutch pedal, you are looking for trouble as pumping it risks pulling air ini through the threads. Fill the res, crack the nipple, push the pedal to the floor, leave it there, go back and tighten the nipple up and then pull the pedal back up by hand and then repeat the process. Should take around 20-30 attempts at doing this.

I detail how I do it here - never had an issue with this method. I have used this same technique on many cars, not just Hondas.

Bleeding clutch hydraulics

10. MattyP Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Evening all, decided with the advice you gave I'd be better of buying a "easibleeding" kit that works of the air from your spare wheel and it worked a treat 5mins and the pedal was back and the clutch now feels great with the new CMC and fresh fluid.

garf8v likes this.