Electrical & Lights No power to 12v outlet in the boot

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Saturday 26th Sep, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    I was thinking of adding a rear facing dash cam to complement the one I have on the windscreen, so I thought I’d check all was well with the 12v power outlet in the boot. Unfortunately it's dead. The car is only 4 months old and I haven't been near this outlet before but I know that sometimes equipment is included in all models but only operates on certain specs.

The question that therefore needs answering before I take a trip to the dealers is - is this outlet powered up on all models or only some. Mine is a 2014 black edition petrol auto, which I have to say is very well equipped, so I would be surprised if it didn't come with power to this outlet.

Any help anyone can give on this gratefully accepted (maybe there is someone with a similar model who could check their car).

Keith

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How did you check it was the ignition on or off, IIRC these power sockets only come on if the engine is running or the key is at position 2 .

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    CJ, thanks, yes I followed the hand book which said position i or ii for power. The front outlet had power but alas nothing on the boot one.

Keith

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Even with the engine running have you checked the fuse?

5. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    CJ - Yes with the engine running and I didn't want to check the fuse as I didn't want to give the slightest excuse that I'd been "fiddling", plus fuses usually go for a reason and I'd have to go to the dealer for a new one in any event.

Do you know if it should have power as in my original question?

Keith

6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Searching for clues for the answer to my original question, CJ's comment re the fuses got me thinking along the lines of if it's got a fuse then it most probably should work. I therefore checked the fuse section in the handbook and it is showing fuses for the "Accessory power socket (console compartment)" and "Accessory power socket (front console)" but nothing for the accessory power socket in the boot, which makes me wonder if it is powered on my car.

Looks like a trip to the dealer is on the cards to get it checked out.

Keith

7. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Kieth Hi, I just checked mine, it works fine in key position 1 & 2. Have you had a Towbar fitted? The side trims have to come off to fit one and maybe they forgot to reconnect the outlet.

8. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Bomber - very perceptive - I have had a tow bar fitted at the dealers I bought it from and I wondered if that might have something to do with it.

Anyway, I rang them up today and they said just bring it in and they'd sort it out. They suggested it was a fuse but they usually go for a reason and I have't touched until I tried it with the camera, so I think the tow bar theory is more likely. I'm away this week so I told them I'd bring it in one day next week. I'll mention the tow bar issue and update the post when it's sorted.

Keith

9. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Good Luck.!!!

10. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    Either way, it's also entertaining to watch your camera footage after your car's been serviced. Maybe more so if your camera is on permanent power.
    You'd be surprised what you see and hear.
    In my case, I complained the door alignment wasn't quite right when i collected the car, so it went in to be sorted and the resulting video and audio gave away the fact the mechanic quite likes the use of a hammer, but I've yet to spot just where he was using it, but at least I can put a face to the culprit. lol

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I captured both the mechanic and the service manager airing their thoughts about me whilst test driving at full speed over speed bumps etc. I don't think they like me lol

12. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Unfortunately there won't be much to hear/see as the battery only lasts 6 minutes after the ignition is switched off.

Keith

13. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Update - took it today and it was indeed a loose connection. They didn't elaborate but it's too much of a coincidence to think other than the 2 things are connected. Anyway, it took them about 20 minutes to solve so everyone's happy.

Full marks to Bomber 209 for immediately identifying the problem.

On an unconnected issue has anyone had any issues with the tyre deflation warning. I went to the Isle of Wight last week and on the way there, after about 120 miles (the longest journey done thus far) the deflation system alarmed. I checked all four tyres and they were all the same pressure but about 0.2 bar higher than I had set them at. This of course is to be expected after a longish run. I therefore returned them to the recommended 2.4 bar and initialised the system and no further problems - until on the way home, about 60 miles into the journey the system alarmed again. I checked the tyres and as before they were all about the same but slightly raised pressure as expected.

This time I just initialised the system without altering the pressures and no further problems since. It is worth noting that I did a total of about 130 miles whilst on the island all without problem and it has been OK since I returned home.

I mentioned this when I took the car in today and they said they have had a few similar complaints about this but there is no adjustment that they can undertake in the system. They said if it happened again to bring it in but I can't see much point in that if there is nothing they can do. I suppose time will tell.

Keith

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ @155695 - yes, I've had this on mine.

It seems that the system is very sensitive to temperature changes. I had the same issue on the first long run I did, re-set the system without altering the pressures (as they were fine) and it hasn't re-occurred since.

15. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    That mirrors what happened to me, so hopefully it won't happen again (unless of course the tyre(s) actually deflate).

I'm now wondering what will happen when I put the winter rims and tyres on at the end of the month.

Keith

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I would have thought the same - put them on, calibrate the system, then it may need another calibration after a run but that should be it.

I also believe that some wheels are compatible with the TPMS system and others aren't, as it came up when HH had some Accord wheels for sale. Presume the CR-V is the same, although I don't think the latest CR-V ever came without TPMS so all genuine wheels should be compatible.

@Beefy @Ichiban - is that correct?

17. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    My winter rims are Dezent alloys. I did ask Honda UK about this when I was thinking of buying winter rims and they said as the TPMS is part of the ABS system, it won't be a problem. I'll report back In due course.

Keith

FirstHonda likes this.
  18. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
  19. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I believe TSB SO-05-001-01 may sort this problem out. Tolerances have been increased to ensure VSA still works after new tyres or winter tyres fitted.
    There are posts on this & TSB SN-04-001-00 to ensure power goes to back wheels in very slippery conditions.