Engine & Gearbox No Recommended Gear Change Speeds in Civic Manual

Discussion in '9th Generation (2012-2017)' started by tomwillie, Friday 29th Jul, 2016.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    There are no recommended and maximum speeds to change gear in the manual of my 2015 registered Civic which is a 1.8 I-VTEC.
    In all previous Honda manuals both recommend gear change speed & maximum speed in each gear have been given but now appears Honda UK are dumbing down information in the latest Civic manual.

If @Ichiban can advise that would be great?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I thought that in these new Civics there is a green light in dash that comes on when the engine thinks it's best to change the gear. Maximum speed? Never really read my Jazz manual but wouldn't that be the red line?

3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Be nice to know max speed in each gear without having to find out on the road.

hondream likes this.
  4. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Another important reason for knowing in advance max revs in gears is to ensure that down changes are not made at speeds which will cause the engine to over rev as rev limiters only protect on up changes.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Surely you'd work all this out for yourself after a few hours of driving, or am I missing something?

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Yes, the blindingly obvious inconvenience of having to do so.
    In both my 15MY Civic & wife's 12MY CR-V Handbooks it states "Before downshifting, make sure the engine will not go into the tachometer red zone. Should this occur, it can severely damage your engine." Yet no maximum speeds in each gear are stated alongside. Clearly an unfortunate omission by Honda.
    This statement is also in Accord & S2000 handbooks with an associated table of maximum speeds allowable in each gear. In my S2000 I find it easyier to keep half an eye on the digital speed readout than the rev counter when overtaking.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I guess you could simply drive in each gear at half the RPM limit, note the resulting speed and then double it?

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    For my MY15 SR Civic 1.8 I-VTEC the interpolated maximum speed in each gear at red line of 6750 RPM is: 1st 37mph; 2nd 60mph; 3rd 91mph; 4th 112mph; 5th 135mph.
    The specified maximum speed is 134mpg so this probably occurs in 5th gear. Maximum power is specified at 6500rpm.

The maximum speeds in 2nd, 3rd & 4th are similar to those given in user manual for my S2000 which respectively are: 65mph, 90mph & 115mph. It's useful to know these speeds when deciding which gear to down change to so as to minimise overtaking time. This is usually 3nd gear if overtaking a car/truck & 2nd a slow moving tractor.

Speeds in Civic at which maximum torque is provided at 4300rpm are: 1st 24mph; 2nd 39mph; 3rd 58mph; 4th 72mph; 5th 86mph.

Thus changes from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd result in drop to approximately maximum torque revs. However, changes from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th at 72mph & 86mph respectively i.e. to drop to max torque revs may provide faster acceleration than going to higher speeds at maximum revs.

Will do CR-V next and post in that section.

On the web users in USA have asked the same question so even there Honda do not give this data, which is daft to give a warning in manuals about not over revving on downshifts & then not give the speeds as they used to.
    Sent this question to Honda UK & received usual useless reply of ask your local dealer.

9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Unless you are driving on the limit all the time it doesnt really matter. If you go from 6th to 2nd at 70mph by mistake like i have done, you will more than likely just shred the gearbox or send it straight into limp mode.

If you can drive a car where you need to worry about its limitations then you have enough experience to not need a manual to tell you optimum speeds. I rarely use a rev counter...rather listen to the engine

John Dickson, MickyB and Zebster like this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Ditto.

John Dickson and MickyB like this.
  11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    If I had to think about all that whilst driving I'd rather give up. Each to there own but surely you don't need a munual in order to drive a car, to that extent anyway. Perhaps you could send a letter/email to Honda uk? For now just drive very carefully!

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I sent an email to Honda UK but just got the usual useless reply of ask your local Dealer.
    There's not much to remember just max speed in second is 60mph & third 90mph.
    This post is about not changing down to a lower gear at too higher speed & over revving the engine so listening to revs is not going to help you need to know what safe speed is before you change down.
    It's remise of Honda to give a warning about this but not provide the parameters as they used to.

13. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you honestly going to adapt your driving style to fit the criteria set? The car has a rev limit and everyday sensible driving isn't going to damage any component prematurely. I think you are moaning for moaning sake on this one......

You should be monitoring your engine and actual speed according to what is in front of you rather than what your gauges say.

MickyB, Zebster and Nighthawk like this.
  14. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Having posted useful technical data I am surprised by number of inane comments it has produced so now unwatched.

15. Nighthawk Guest

Thats exactly what listening to the engine does. It lets you know when its at its optimum to change up, when its labouring and roughly where the revs are going to be when you change down. Its called being able to drive a car correctly, no need for anyone to know the maximum speeds in normal every day driving.

16. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    To avoid miss shift on down shift don't skip the intermediate ones, for instant from 6th to 3th, go fast 5th 4th then 3rd.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry mate no info on this,even the workshop manuals don't cover this info. I would use the same yardstick to the previous models.

18. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You are supposed to select the gear required for the speed you intend to be doing rather than changing gear unnecessarily. IE, come to the obstacle/obstruction and then select an appropriate gear to continue with. At least that is what I was taught on my advanced driving course. I'm sure @Nighthawk can confirm or correct.

MickyB likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

I just charge forward with reckless abandon like any VAG driver. Roundabouts and kerbs are merely obstacles to bounce over. Max speed is the key. :Laughing: Thats why cars have suspension isnt it?

MickyB likes this.
  20. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Those who don't have a blue light on the top of their car have to be a little more cautious