Electrical & Lights Noise from Alternator Area

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Fatzman, Saturday 28th Jan, 2012.

1. Fatzman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys
    My recently purchased 2.4i VTEC has created an intermittent sqeul from around the alternator/PAS pump pulley area.
    I've read the thread from CJ about the pulley issue on the I-CDTI and wondered if it was on the 2.4i aswell

if it's a belt issue are they easy to change ?

Cheers Guys

Martin
    [h=2][/h]

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Martin

I'm not sure if it affects the petrol or not to be honest, and if it does it's probably pre-facelifts only as my facelift 2.4 doesn't have the additional pulley.

It's easy enough to check though...just have a look at the pics on this thread.

(dead link removed by staff)

On the first pic you can see the two pulleys next to each other, underneath the power steering pump pulley...

...but on the last pic you can only see the left one of those two pulleys.

Edit - just noticed on CJ's post - he says "All chassis code of the 7th Generation Accord CN1 & CN2 are affected with this issue." So in other words just the diesel saloon and tourer. Maybe you need a new belt. I think it's fairly straightforward to change it by loosening the tensioner pulley but Beefy and CJ will know.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 15th Feb, 2015
  3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just to say as well that on my 6th Generation I got a belt squeal sometimes, but that was the belt itself slipping on the pulleys rather than a bearing...it used to happen when water splashed up onto the crank pulley...so I avoided puddles on the nearside and it was fine lol.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    for how much a new belt is, theres no harm in replacing it and see how you go. however what you need to do is remove the belt and spin all the pulleys by hand and feel for any roughness or squeeks. due to it being intermittant though, spinning the pullys may not make it very obvious. i have never replaced a power steering pump but it is not uncommon for alternators to fail on some petrol Accords. the front bearings are what generaly cause a noise and fail. have you tryed spraying some belt slip at each pully? HYCOTE BELT SLIP SPRAY 400ml - STOPS SQUEAKY CAR BELTS on eBay!

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Is it possible/easy to replace the bearing rather than the entire alternator?

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its very possible but not the easyest of jobs. i wouldn't suggest attempting it at home.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Martin,

The pulley\long belt is only applicable to the diesel I-CTDI engines the petrol one don't have this issue. On my 2.0 Accord around 45000 miles I too experienced the intermittent squeal as well as the noise changing with higher RPM. Got the belt off started the engine briefly to find the noise completely gone, rest assured after moving all the pulleys and feeling for resistance the culprit was found. The water pump had resistance when turned by hand it was notchy and not smooth had to change the water pump.

As beefy has pointed out if the belt is getting tired you can change it or see if the spray works.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    i remember your water pump being changed. was it gaz that did it? worst hondas for water pumps are Jazz's for some reason. one of the reasons why these things need diagnosing properly. no point in replacing/repairing an alternator when the water pump is at fault. a waste of time and money! so much easyer to replace than an alternator. and cheeper

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup Gaz replaced it , and yes you are right first diagnose the fault first then replace the offending part,guessing and part throwing is a waste of time and money.

10. rhinogolf Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

york
    moving from petrol to diesel on the noise issue, mine is making same noise when the belt was removed noise continued mechanic put screwdriver to is ear and engine bay said noise from drive chain is it that easy to diagnose

11. Fatzman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys, just a quick update on the squeal. The only thing i've really had time to do is spray some good old WD40 onto the roller just below the Power steering pump. Took out the bolt and washer and just sprayed a little into the bearing (making sure not to get any on the belt). Did it a couple of times then put the washer and bolt back on. The squeal now seems to have disappeared. I know this isn't a fix just a bodge until I can change the roller.

Thanks for all the advice.

Martin

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Well done for locating the culprit.