Tyres & Wheels Noise from front, probably bearings

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Sherbet66, Thursday 23rd May, 2013.

1. Sherbet66 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Accord Tourer 2005 Petrol 2.0, 78000 miles.

I have a repeating rasping sound when I'm turning the steering wheel counter clockwise at any speed (nothing when I turn it the other way). Would I be right in thinking this is probably the front bearing?

I can pick one up fairly cheaply (£39) on Ebay and I plan to have a trusted mechanic fit this. Can anyone advise if there is anything to be aware of when buying/fitting these?

Also, strangely when I load my Reg plate into Eurocarparts and other parts websites I find that my wife's car's details load....strange.

Dave

2. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Get the car in the air and wobble the wheels up and down , then left to right, feel for a bit of play. Or rotate the wheels by hand listening for noise that shouldn't be there.
    I won't even try to describe a bearing dying noise, but your mechanic mate will spot it straight away. Get it checked out before spending money on parts though dude.
    Hope this helps.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The bearing will be fine it will be tyre,suspension or Brake related . Front bearing last for an eternity on petrol cars :Wink:

4. Sherbet66 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks for the advice, I'll ensure that i will get it checked out before spending any money on parts

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    keep us posted bud , I am pretty confident it won't be bearing unless you use your car daily to cross a river bed of do cross country :Rolf:

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I had a similar thing on my old Civic. After I changed the bearing noise was still there. Turned out it was the tyres, plenty of tread but had flat spots probably due to poor wheel alignment. New boots sorted it. Lesson learned for me lol.

7. Sherbet66 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

After getting this checked out by National Tyre's they failed to spot anything wrong with the bearing/suspension or anything they could fix, their best guess was the power steering. Rasping now noticeable at low speed even when the steering wheel is straight. A quick Google check reveals that it could be worth checking the power steering fluids.

Last edited: Thursday 6th Jun, 2013
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you felt the tyres wear with your bear hands ? jack the front wheels up rotate the wheel and put you palm on it .. if you feel they are uneven you know that the cause.

Rasping can you expand on that?

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    If my experience of Cowboy Tyres is anything to go by they struggle to work out which end of a hammer to use!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    hahahah I didn't want to say that..:Rolf:

Hendrixaxe likes this.
  11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    And I was being kind...