Suspension, Steering and Brakes Noise on full lock

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Bowler, Wednesday 27th Nov, 2013.

1. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do all CR-V's knock on full lock?
    Not sure if its the tyres or the suspension or both
    Only on full lock at low speeds (not tried full lock at high speed)
    Its not a grinding or metallic
    wondered if its just the non branded big tyres?

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Have you checked your CV boot joints?

Thats what your symptoms sound like to me....

3. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

MOT.'D in last couple of weeks would this have not shown up? will have a look at the weekend.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They may have split after your MOT. If the noise was there before the MOT, perhaps it was overlooked/missed (human error?)?

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Probably just wants a diff flush

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Correcto mondo ,I thought by now all 3rd Generation owners would have encountered this by now .. But if they don't go to Honda dealers then you are none the wiser. May be it time to post the info on here

7. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

In for a service at my local Indy (proper mechanics not fitters) have mentioned knock so will report on findings. As ever thanks for input chaps helps when report comes in.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    would these proper mechanics be aware of the glazing condition on the CR-V diff?

9. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My remarks were not directed at qualified Honda mechanics just some of the high street service centres. Apologies no offence intended

- - - Updated - - -

1st class honours to Frankie and Ichiban, spot on with the diagnoses. Diff flushed, Genuine Honda oil used problem solved.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No offence indented taken mate , there are more qualified technician outside the Honda franchise then inside . But it the info which is not know out there to fix issue like this easily which is available to Honda dealers.

The last thing you want is a wild goose chase on finding an issue throwing money on parts and hoping for the best.. rather than know the first time fix:Wink:

This is main reason why the 4th Generation CR-V went to a electrical diff:Thumbup:

11. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Technical advice was obtained by the garage from the friendly Honda dealer to confirm fault diagnosis, plus treatment, double flush and to use only Honda approved lubricant.
    All in all well pleased. Full service and the diff flush just over £240. May be in the head but seems quieter all round and the noise on lock now a distant memory. Only bad news need two rear tyres as advised near limit

12. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Any idea how much the flush on its own would have cost?
    Mike c

13. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Supply only the fluid came to £48 from Honda. Not sure on labour as part of service, but looking at what i was originally quoted for the service alone the diff oil change comes out at about £20 labour

14. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Thanks bowler , I am still unsure that my car needs this flush as it has only done 19k with light driving ( no off road or fast motorway work). I cannot hear a noise but the dealership says it is due? As I used to test vehicles my ears are quite sensitive to problematical noises.
    Mike c

15. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

How often should the diff flush occur?

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

OK what about 3rd Generation?

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    According to Honda it should be repalced At 120,000 km (75,000 miles) or 8 years, thereafter every 60,000 km (37,500 miles) or 4 years. I would do it every 25K or every two years personally.