Engine & Gearbox Noise when selecting reverse-Accord Exec Auto,2.4. Late 2007.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by foxleys, Sunday 20th Apr, 2014.

1. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    My Accord Exec Tourer, 2.4, Auto late 2007 car with about 37.5k miles on the clock makes a slight "Doink or Clonk" after starting to reverse.

I can only hear this when the cd/radio is turned off.

Please let me know if I should be concerned about this - maybe a loose suspension/steering bolt or something?

Any ideas, or should I take the car to the dealer to get is checked?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ahhhmmm they do make a "doink or clunk" when selecting reverse but it depends on the severity of this doink/clunk.

See if u can listen to another accord auto.

3. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    After reading your post yesterday I remembered to listen for any sound today. When car is stationery and changing gear NO SOUND, when car is rolling forward as in when you turning upon changing the gear from D to R, I hear clunk sound. Other that nothing hope this will help.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It's probably best to get the verdict of another 2.4 A/T owner, @Phil1978 what's yours like?

5. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Many thanks for all your help above, I will try and ask another Accord owner if they have a similar noise!

I can only "Just" hear the noise when my cd/radio is at about level 5 ish.

Many thanks to all so far......................

6. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    I'd say 80% of the time my gear selections are silent, I'll occasionally get a slight click sound, but this is immediately after selecting the gear, I have never heard a noise when the car starts to move, does it happen every time you reverse?

7. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi, it seems to happen every time I select "R" and start moving then the noise happens when I apply the brakes.

Thanks all for your help so far.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Could be the pads have become loose in the sliders. What conditions are your brake pads in ?

Alternatively could be coming from a drive shaft CV joint.

9. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Had pads checked yesterday.

I had a flat battery yesterday in my Accord & had to get the local Honda agent to do a drop test - Battery only about 2 (but no more than 3) years old, do they normally only last 2 years? It is a genuine battery, but he said the front pads are fine, but rear pads only have about 2/3 k miles left.

Do you know if Honda batteries have a 3 year warranty?

They put in a loan battery as they could not check my battery till next Monday - said it would cook the battery if left on charge all weekend.

I neglected to ask them about the noise I mentioned about as I was in a hurry, but I will ask them next week as I have booked the car in for a "Touring check" as I am driving from Jersey to Brussels on May 5th.

Need to get this car sorted before May 5th!!!

Many thanks all for all your help so far, I will let you know the outcome!

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Battery life can affected by many other factors, for example, if you have fault on the car and the battery is constantly drained, that will kill the battery in no time at all. Faulty starters, alternators, poor earthing can all adversely affect battery condition.

Can't remember for sure what the warranty is on Honda Yuasa batteries, I think it's 5 years.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yuasa from Halfords are 5 year warranty, so from Honda are probably the same.

12. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Only 1 year warranty from the one and only local Honda agent & £94 odd for a Honda branded battery!!!

We don't have Halfords (in Jersey) here unfortunately, just limited battery traders etc.

The noise from my car according to my local dealer is just the the pads moving a bit as they are quite worn and will need changing in the next 2/3k miles.

I have to go with what the local Honda dealer says I suppose.

Thanks all for your help.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Ring @Holdcroft Honda for our club discount and see if they'll ship out to Jersey if you pay the costs, I don't believe it'll be a problem as they ship all over the world. You'll probably still beat your local Honda guy by a bit :Smile:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Jersey customer have had good deals via HH and the Jersey dealers I know Lee pulled a rabbit out of the hat on one occasion , there is a thread here somewhere.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  15. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It could be your rear calipers sticking which is causing the noise
    I had a similar issue on the Prelude rear calipers. Whenever I reversed slowly into a parking space i would hear a clonk click sound. Not very loud but enough to hear inside the cabin. I then changes all the calipers and renewed the pads and the sound was gone.
    Honda rear calipers are known to stick easily.