Suspension, Steering and Brakes Noise when turning

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Steve8274, Monday 31st Aug, 2015.

1. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Steve Wigan
    Hi all.
    After some advice from the informed collective. Have recently purchased a 57 plate CR-V 2.2 and very pleased with it.
    However I went out in it today and I noticed a noise.
    It is coming from the steering. When I have a lock on at low speed, it seems like the wheels are scrubbing/jumping. That's the best way I can describe it. Has anyone else encountered this and how did they remedy it?
    All help appreciated.
    Steve

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So do you mean on full lock you get like a lot of tyre squeal ?

3. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not really. Bit hard to describe really. Doesn't have to be full lock but wheels must be turned more than a bit. Happens forwards and in reverse.
    It's not a tyre squeal, it's more like a rumbling sound. Can only hear it at very low speeds.
    Sorry about the vague description but it's difficult to describe
    Steve

4. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    When was the oil in the back transmission box last changed.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could be worth getting under her and checking out all the suspension etc just to rule that out?

6. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not sure when rear diff oil was done. I have not long purchased it. I have read that the rear diff can make a noise if not changed regularly. Will do that soon as a matter of course. However the noise to me, seems to be coming from front.
    Have had a look underneath at suspension parts and couldn't see anything untoward.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could be worth changing both the MTF fluid and rear diff fluid for peace of mind anyway?

From memory on the CR-V MTF fluid change it's not a case of filling until it pours out of the fill hole as this will overfill it but there's an actual fill point overflow hole further down. There's a guide on here I'm sure. It can be a bit tricky getting the fluid into the MTF, I made a custom tube.

The rear diff fills until it pours out of the fill hole. A £10 syringe from Screwfix does the job nicely.

Genuine honda fluids is a must.

8. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys. Just had it up to my local garage. He put it up on the ramp. The only thing he could see from there was that the dust covers on the shocks had some slits on them where they are folded. Said that wouldn't be the course and that they could be taken off and left off. Not an MOT fail.
    Has anyone else taken them off and left them off?
    Took it for a longer test drive and he said its pulling to the left a lot. I had noticed it pulling but not excessively.
    He recommends getting 4 wheel alignment done and he is confident it will cure the scrubbing feel to steering.
    He doesn't does the alignment so will try and get it booked in tomorrow.
    Anyone recommend one in or near wigan?
    Thanks

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Honda marked my splitting dust covers as a comment on my MOT but I put a new 3rd party pair on to keep the shocks good.

10. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I have read they are a pain to fit. Where did you get them?

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Ebay and just got a local garage to do them for about £60 I think it was. Could have done them myself but for that money I just couldn't be bothered with spring compressors and the hassle. Straight forward job though.

12. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well got the alignment done and that wasn't the cause. It's still doing it.:Frown:
    My next direction is to do a diff flush and see if that helps.
    There was a tutorial on here by someone and they suggested putting the rear wheels up on a ramp. I can understand this will make it easier to do but won't it cause problems when filling?won't it be overfilled when it's back level again? Or am I being stupid???

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Worthwhile getting alignment done regardless

Active diff oil change would be wise if don't know history

Hopefully you get sorted

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I used ramps but it was on a sloping driveway so ended up level.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  16. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. That's the one I had seen. It was the lifting of the rear I wasn't sure of.
    Maybe the height of the ramp won't make that much difference but I was always told to put fluids in when vehicle was level.
    Steve

17. Al Star Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went to B&Q and cut a couple of meters of different size clear plastic tubing and a pack of funnels with different sizes.. I used that to fill the rear diff and also the manual gear box with the correct Honda fluids.. I've just changed the power steering fluid which I have found made a big difference to how it drive around bends.. Steering now alot smoother along with gear changes.. Just be sure and put the correct Honda fluids and use new crush washers.. You'll be sorted..
    - - - Updated - - -
    Car needs to be level when doing them all..
    - - - Updated - - -
    Plus my 57 plate CR-V has just turned 70k miles and needed new front shocks.. The dealer fitted the shocks but didn't replace the busted dust boot covers.. so I'm front shock bootless and been told it makes no difference by a few local mechanics.. No issue either for MOT.. so I've been told..

18. dkarolj Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Croatia Davor Kutina
    I always like to find videos as they can explain alot..this is for the older CR-V but if your sounds like this maybe it can help, principle is the same

Repair is the change of Honda genue Dual Pump Fluid II 2X New Honda Genuine Dual Pump Differential Fluid II 2 4WD CR-V Pilot Ridgeline | eBay in rear differential. About 1,2 l is needed. If it sounds really bad then you need to flush the diff with new fluid and fill it again until mechanical particles are cleared from plates.

Al Star likes this.
  19. Steve8274 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the responses. Did a diff flush today and all sorted.
    Don't think it had ever been changed despite having a full Honda service history. The lower bolt was practically seized into the diff to the point I thought either the car or myself was going to snap
    Thanks again
    Next job squeaky clutch pedal

Al Star likes this.
  20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Lol mine was the same! I was scared something was going to snap.