Pre-Facelift Model Noises: steering wheel, driver's seat, rear shelf, seat belt

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Amused, Sunday 18th Aug, 2013.

1. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have several annoying noise sources that I'd like to get rid of. Other than those, the car is perfect.

The steering wheel: in the last week or so, the steering wheel developed a kind of a scratchy sound when being turned to the left, like plastic being rubbed against plastic or rubber. It appears the noise is coming from behind the steering wheel.

Rear shelf: something rattles in the rear shelf that houses the rear speakers, the noise is something like metal against plastic, the noise appears on every surface, but predominately on bad roads.

Front seat: creaking sound coming from the lumbar area of the driver's seat when pressure (my back) is applied, it's very irritating.

Seat belt: Looks like the area where the seat belt height is adjusted produces an irritating rattle when driving on bad roads.

Any known TSB's or ways to fix these?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Nick long time no see hope you are well.

Need to remove the steering to inspect what its doing ? any work been done lately was the steering remove?

I recall you were fitting a tail spoiler on the the boot of your car, did you fit the revised boot loading spring additionally are the sponge damper present, have a look around the speaker area.

Have alook at this and see when seated the leather rubs you will need a helper to check http://hondakarma.com/threads/2922/
    is the adjuster locked in its ratchet is it is not it will slip down and can make a sound.If you are the only driver then adjusting the height should not be a concern.. or are diffrent drivers using the car?

Apart from the front seat there is no know TSB

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi CJ,

Yep, I was absent for a while, took a long vacation and had a great time :Smile:

Guess I'll have to take the car to my dealer and see if they can figure it out. The grinding noise behind the steering wheel frightens me the most, the last thing I need is a new steering rack...

Regarding other noises, I found a TSB for the rear shelf rattles, seems to be a common thing with the Acura TSX, but we Europeans don't get as good treatment as the Americans :Smile:

I can live with the seat creaks and the seat belt rattle.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good you had a chilled holiday its required to break the endless cycle of routine. This TSB you speak of for the TSX 2nd Generation I would like to see it. see if you can locate it as there is no such reported issue on the european 8th Generation Accord.

5. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey CJ, I managed to locate the TSB for the rear shelf noises... It appears to be a fairly simple half an hour procedure (with the right tools). You could upload this one (and possible other TSX TSB's) in a sticky View attachment 11195

Attached Files:

Last edited: Monday 19th Aug, 2013
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks mate simple fix.

7. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Regarding the steering wheel turning noise, there is a TSB as well...

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is, I just hope my steering wheel noise is not the column... There's no way I am paying for a new steering column

- - - Updated - - -

I just found another TSB for the steering wheel.. Damn, this car really suffers from steering issues, Honda will never learn.

Attached Files:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I doubt the american TSB are applicable to our cars as there is nothing on the pan european intranet to suggest it . The american cars may have different dampers from a different vendor to what the european car have..

What the noise like now..?

9. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

CJ, the creaking seat issue has been fixed by an independent garage. The steering wheel noise is gone for some reason (which is good, of course).

The rear shelf rattle is to be taken care of next week, so I'll report back whether the Acura TSB works in that regard for the European Accord.

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Please do share what did they do to stop it creaking.Mine is driving me mad to the point to get rid of the car.