Suspension, Steering and Brakes Noisy when turning at slow speed.

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by brian62c, Tuesday 11th Nov, 2014.

1. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Wales Brian Haverfordwest
    Well, here's my first query. Apologies if it's already covered somewhere. When steering at slow speeds, such as turning into a parking space, we're getting a sort of growling noise and a slight juddering. Not sure where from. A bit of web research seems to indicate it may be down to the rear diff needing flushing. What do you guys think? I really don't want to put it into my local dealership as they charge an arm and a leg just to look at it.

Cheers, Brian.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    What's your mileage and when was the rear diff fluid last changed?

3. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mileage is about 65k and no idea if ever changed. Only does about 5k pa with us at the moment.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It could be worthwhile to do a diff fluid change or even a flush just for piece of mind. I've done a guide for the 3rd Generation and it's a very straightforward job: perhaps someone can help verify if it's the same process or not for the 2nd Generation?

Rear Differential Fluid Replace & Flush

brian62c and Nighthawk like this.
  5. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm sure it's a great guide AF - but I've downloaded it three times and it just won't open for me on the Nexus I'm using. Might have to try it on the 'proper' computer later, she it's available.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It could potentially be the rear differential, my other thoughts are either steering rack, or the tie-rod ends. If the sound is coming from towards the back of the vehicle, I'd feel confident the diff needs a good flush through.

If you download "Adobe Reader" from the play store you should be able to open the PDF with no issue :Smile:

7. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, will give it a go. Thought I already had it but maybe not (old school).

8. Lango Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lango
    Hi Brian.
    My CR-V just passed 70k miles and I couldn't find any mention of the rear diff fluid being changed. Got a DPF fluid flush pack from Honda dealer for about £30 which is 3 bottles of fluid plus the washers for the drain and fill. It's easy to do yourself.
    Honda describe symptoms as "noise or vibration when on full lock at same time a low pitched noise and or vibration"
    Caused by contamination of oil trapped within diff clutch plates.
    Need to drive car 15 mins then drain the rear diff,refill and drive further 15 mins using full lock as often as possible.
    Leave vehicle 1 hour to allow contaminants to drain out of clutch
    Drain and refill .
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    John

brian62c and DeviateDefiant like this.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just had a look at the parts diagram and although the rear differential is slightly different on the 2nd Generation compared to the 3rd Generation, the fill and drain bolts are exactly the same part number so the tools in the guide should be fine. I think the fill and drain plug are on the same side though from looking at this diagram (see items 21)

B__2010.
    - - - Updated - - -
    You can see that with the 3rd Generation the fill and drain bolts are on different sides (again, item 21). The diff fluid flush process will be identical though and thanks to the CR-V being higher off the ground if you reverse up some ramps on a sloping driveway then you have a level car and lots of room to slide under :Smile:

B__2010.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The best method to fix this issue,is change the fluid put new fluid in then find a deserted roundabout and take a few rounds of it at steady 30 plus. That will clear all the glazing for good drop the oil again for fresh oil.

Please please abide by the road laws no drifting, even at 3 am :Innocent:

brian62c likes this.
  11. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Is there a sponsor/advertiser on here who can supply me the flush kit? Nearest dealer to me is not really convenient to visit. Thanks for all the help so far ☺

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Just give @Holdcroft Honda a ring, you'll find their number on their section on the site.

13. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that DD. Got the kit sent fine but then watched a YouTube video again to refresh my memory and the guy said do not confuse DPF fluid with DPS-F - which is precisely what Holdcroft sent me. Am I in trouble or what? Help!

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Same thing mate you are ok

brian62c likes this.
  15. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phew! Cheers Ichiban. Canadian bloke had me worried - I hoped that might be the case. He said something about not confusing the DPF 2 fluid with the Acura DPS-F for the Acura AWD systems. Perhaps it's a Canadian thing. I'll try and relax and get on with the job after work tomorrow afternoon. Think I'll be doing most of it after dark (work shifts) so should be fun. I'll have a job finding a roundabout though, living in the sticks. Nearest one is about 15 minutes away and not that large. Might have to find a big yard somewhere and do circles

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Best keep well clear of North American sites they have different fluid different names it will mess with your head. They will convince you otherwise that the fluid we have is poor.

Find a largish roundabout do atleast 15-20 turns don't get Dizzy LOL

brian62c likes this.
  17. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Noted, thanks. I'll go further afield to do my circling. Only one rb big enough within 15 mile radius.

18. brian62c Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well folks, I followed Arctic Fire's guide (finally managed to open it on the proper computer) and guess what? No more noise! Brilliant. Sorted. Result. The present Mrs C. is delighted, as am I. Sincere thanks everyone.
    There is a slight difference with the gen 2 CR-V in that the filler plug is directly above the drain plug. I didn't have a proper drain plug socket to hand so tried just using the adapter on my torque wrench and it was a nice tight fit so I carried on. Popped them sweet as a nut. Mind you, I had soaked both plugs in penetrating oil twice over 24 hours so I think that helped. Also found a little stamp below the fill plug saying Honda DPSF. The old washers were not too bad at all but I replaced them anyway. DSCN3541.JPG DSCN3542.JPG DSCN3544.JPG DSCN3548.JPG
    Did a proper flush job. Ran the car, drained, refilled, ran it again, including some off-roading on the nearby hills (nothing illegal or antisocial) and tested a tight slow turning circle. The silence was deafening!
    Anyway, I took a couple of photos, just to illustrate my efforts. Thanks again guys, especially AF and Ichiban.

Nighthawk and Ichiban like this.
  19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You're more than welcome, good to hear it's sorted!

brian62c likes this.
  20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff matey now change the fluid once in two years and you will enjoy the silence.

brian62c likes this.