General Not my Accord, Not even a Honda! (Sorry) Advice on petrol Misfire

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nauest, Saturday 18th Apr, 2015.

1. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Hi Everyone,

I have got some great advice and info off here for my Honda, and I now have a question related to my other car (Not a Honda, sorry! :Tongue: )

Anyone got any suggestions as to problems that would cause a stock turbo petrol engine to misfire under high loads and positive boost?

The car in question is a Saab 9000 2.3 Turbo.

Open to anything (If you are willing)

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    quick search on google. the coil pack sets can give problems when hot and the type of spark plugs need to be very specific for those engines. the coil packs are described as the direct ignition coil. a misfire will generaly be caused by timing, poor ignition (spark) or a fuel issue. looks like temp sensors car be dicky as well according to some saab forums.

3. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Cheers Beefy. I have replaced all of the coil packs and the direct ignition system. Fuel is possible although fuel pump has also been changed.

Temp sensors is possible, where did you read that? I am getting random temp fluctuations on the dash.

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    just search on google saab 2.3 turbo misfire. loads of threads on it

5. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I am not sure if this related to that engine, but a friend of mine had issues with a 1999 9-3 turbo with the 2 litre engine, random missfire and hot no starts. The first suspect was the DIC (coil packs) a known issue with Saab, last about 100k before the cooling oil starts leaking out of them and the coils burn out. Cheap copy parts fail much quicker and still are not cheap. The other thing to look at is the crank sensor, on the front of the engine, this can cause faults also.

I am not 100% sure how similar those engines are to each other, but it may be of help.

Chunkylover53 and nauest like this.
  6. nauest Premium Member Club Supporter

Netherlands Ned Texel
    Thanks for that,

As suspected it was the Direct Ignition pack, so you were right!

7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

good stuff , at least you kmow where the fault lies now.