Engine & Gearbox Not reving past 4k

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by obsy, Saturday 29th Dec, 2012.

1. obsy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I've been away for a Christmas break only to return and the Honda had a flat battery, I've charged it and the car started fine, once the car had warmed up I gave it a couple of revs, I noticed that it would go up to 4 thousand revs but not anymore? The revs started to go crazy once 4 thou had been reached like someone switching a switch on and off with the power.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers & Merry Christmas

Obsy.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's perfectly normally when the car is stationary. i-VTEC engines stops revving at 4000 RPM when stationary.

Put it on the road and you'll see it fly past 4000rpm :Wink:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that's is accurate for the 7th Generation petrol engines,just to state on the 8th Generation 2.4 there is no longer a idle rev limiter.

Can the 8th Generation 2.0 owners confirm the same please.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is idle rev limiter on my car set on 4000 RPM.
    It won't rev past 4k,when it hit 4k it just back off like bouncing off rev limiter.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What :Aghast: mine does not ... Preface facelift differences ?

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Could be that yours(facelift) is set up differently but mine does it.Tried it today.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will try this tomorrow again when the engine is at normal operating temperature. Advise to all don't do this with a cold engine you have been warned.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I would never do this on cold engine,my car does not go over 2500 RPM while engine is not up to temperature.

9. obsy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

thanks for the info, that's one less thing to worry about, obviously never had to rev it stationary before.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You sure yours isn't broken Ceej ?

Makes no sense for Honda to remove a safety feature.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Could be mate ..but I don't have a habit of redlining the car on idle.

12. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Had the car out this afternoon and tried this out, once it was warmed up. My 2009 2.0 i-VTEC will rev freely up to 4,500 RPM, at idle, at which point it will not go past 4,500rpm no matter how much further you depress the accelerator pedal. The revs will slightly oscillate between 4,250 and 4,500 and it feels exactly the same as if you hit the rev limiter in gear. Will be interesting to see if post-facelift 2.0 is the same.

Glad to hear other people mentioning they don't rev the car too hard until it is warmed up. I've always been of the school of thought excessive revs was bad for a cold engine (oil not up to full temp, not fully circulated yet etc.) but I got the impression whenever I've mentioned this elsewhere in the past that everyone else seems to think it's not an issue. I always cringe when I see people hammering their engines on cold mornings in particular. When it's frosty I let the engine tick over for a short time just to let the oil get circulated etc.

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

accord 2.4 tourer rev limiter

Hi Guys

I noticed a strange thing on my car recently. If I rev the engine with the car standing still and out of gear it seems like there is an electronic rev limiter that kicks in about 4.5KRPM and the engine will not rev past this point.

Now I know doing this is very bad and I did have a reason to try it that I won't go into. But I have never seen this on a car before.
    The car pulls well to the red line so I am guessing its got built in self protection when revving the enigne under no load.

is this correct???

Thanks
    tony

14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: accord 2.4 tourer rev limiter

Yes that is normal,nothing to worry about.
    Mine is the same.

15. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    engine hesitation at 4000rpm.??I-VTEC

A QUICK QUESTION.. i got a 2.4 accord executive 2004, recently noticed that when you rev the engine (in neutral) it (the rev tachometer) seems to hesitate at around 4000rpm. is it i-VTEC engaging or its a fault. can VTEC engage when the car is in neutral??? how do you feel the VTEC?? any signs. i drove it in a free way and it doesn't seem to lose power at all even after 4000rpm and the tachometer seems to move up swifty up to the redline when its in motion . i only hesitates when you rev the engine in neutral. thanx

16. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Simbac i moved your post here .
    Please have a read through this thread,it answers all your questions.

Last edited: Saturday 15th Jun, 2013
    simbac likes this.
  17. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia
    Thanx Zoran you are a star . :GoodJob:

18. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Glad to be of help :Thumbup: