Exhaust System Not sounding Right

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by MickyB, Friday 20th Nov, 2015.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I noticed last night and this morning that when I start the HR-V up she sounds a little blowy like the exhaust is blowing, it sounds as though it is coming from around the exhaust manifold heat shield area at the front of the engine. After a couple of minutes it seems to go away.
    I had a good look round the area but couldn't find anything untoward a and without getting on my old back underneath I won't know if it is the exhaust blowing.
    Anyone think of anything else that it could be?
    Thanks

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could be a crack that's developing. Tightens up as exhaust warms up perhaps.

MickyB likes this.
  3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Going to have to wait for a day off next week when I can have a good look at it.
    I would presume that if I used soapy water on the manifold it would blow bubbles at me from wherever it is cracked?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Water on a hot exhaust probably not a good idea. You should be able to hear where it's leaking from and sometimes you can feel the air blowing around the area of the leak.

5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I meant put the water on while it's cold it blows more then.
    If I do that and find the problem I can then turn it off and have a look before it gets too hot to handle.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not sure that would work either, you'll just see lots of steam as the exhaust system heats up very rapidly.

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Get an assistant to carefully (whilst paying attention to the engine note) block the tailpipe with some sort of wadding to maximise a potential leak while you look, feel and listen.

MickyB and Nels like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's a much better idea but don't block it for too long, block it for a second or two at a time.

MickyB and Zebster like this.
  9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm on it in the morning. Had a pretty hectic day today (dog to the vets) !!! That's a feat and a half believe me

10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I didn't need the soapy water after all.
    I had a look today typically I could only get the two top bolts out of the heat shield, bottom one was stuck.so that will have to be sorted later.
    Anyway the right pipe as you look at it has a crack as wide as the Grand Canyon the whole circumference of the pipe.(used a mirror to check the back of the pipe).
    So I'm now searching for a replacement but in the meantime I'm going for an emergency repair and my thoughts are to use an exhaust bandage at least if there's any vibration on the pipe at least it will be sealed. I think this is better than exhaust putty as that will just crack and I don't think it will be weldable.
    So I'm now running my Type-S for work and tomorrow I'll get a bandage and see how it goes.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Just so I know the engine in the HR-V is a Civic engine so is there any difference in the manifolds.?

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Can you get some wire around it as well? That'll help the bandage stay in place.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Put your HR-V details into the LingsHondaParts website and get the part number. Then if a potential donor vehicle comes up, put that into Lings to see if it's the same part number. PS - Lings part numbers aren't Honda part numbers, but can easily be converted... Delete the characters '_pfk' from the web page URLs/addresses to convert all schematic part numbers to Honda part numbers.

MickyB likes this.
  12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes I'll make sure I've got some lock wire.
    Found a couple on eBay for Civic with my engine number but they are a little different so don't know if they will fit.
    Most breakers wanting between 75 - 125 quid I'll keep looking eBay is £45.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Check out my Project log!!

14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well it's been 3 weeks since I did the repair and touch wood she's holding out at the moment. Still on the lookout for a replacement.

Nels likes this.
  15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@Ichiban
    Hey mucca can you help me out please. Paid for the manifold earlier today then found a good deal on the gasket but the only problem is I can't find the part number for it so I can check that it's the correct one. Have looked on Lings Parts list but it doesn't match.can you shed some light.

Cheers

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    E__0400.

Item 3 Part Number 18115-P2A-003 GASKET, EX. MANIFOLD (NIPPON LEAKLESS) Retail price £32.51

17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks the number still doesn't match the gasket is the same its just the part numbers they are showing don't match this one I'll message them and ask them to verify it.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let me look if the part # has superseded two ticks, so you can cross reference what you have been given.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Part number is good mate, what have yo been given? better not be PLF number?