Engine & Gearbox Notchy gearbox?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Thursday 4th Feb, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi all,

When I had my accord back in December I was aware from the service history that the transmission oil hadn't been done, so I got the Honda MTF and had this done. This did improve the gearbox, and eliminated the crunch into reverse around 80% of the time.

However there is still some notchyness. A gear change is accompanied by a bit of a clunky sound from the gear lever area. Could this be loose gear linkages and has anyone got any information about this please?

Also, I know again from the service history that the clutch hasn't been done. It seems fine generally but trying to pull off in second makes in squeal a bit. I'm not sure whether to get this done or just live with it, as it doesn't seem to be affecting driving at all. However could this be linked to the notchy gearbox?

I also have a clicky clutch pedal. In the spring when its warmer and lighter I will try poking some grease into the clutch cylinder and see if that helps.

Any general views about the transmission, clutch, gearbox etc, to help me decide whether any action is needed, would be welcomed.

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What the clutch condition like, does your pedal have a long travel and where is the bite point? if you clutch is on it way out then you need to change it. 2003 car all will need clutch changes by now.

A worn clutch will give you notchy gear changes as the clutch is not working correctly.

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    The squeal in 2nd gear sounds like your release bearing.Might me time for a new clutch Dan

4. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The clutch during normal driving seems fine. Bit point seems normal, i.e its not too high and i can slip the clutch ok during hill starts etc. If i rev fairly high, or try and pull off in second, i get a bit of a squeal, but it does still bite.

the car is on 133k. I was aware it might need a new clutch when I bought it. Would the clutch be making the gear box notchy?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes it will make it notchy as it not disengaging the main shaft as the pressure plate has lot it tension on its fingers as there is lesser clamping force.

Your pedal travel will be half of what it was from the factory. don't leave it tool late otherwise you clutch will chew the flywheel and that £370 brand new.

3tariq likes this.
  6. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Pedal travels to the floor just fine. Is that what you meant?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Pedal travel is the stroke it take from the up position to get to the down position, if your pressure plate has lost it tension which it has you will find that pedal stroke halved. That means the clutch will not work correctly.

8. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Im not sure how to tell if my clutch pedal travel has halved? I would say the bite point is about halfway in the travel range.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You need to drive a similar car with a healthy clutch you will find the difference since you don't have the comparison you think its working.

if you bite point is half way of the current travel then the pressure plate is goosed.

10. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Maybe not quite halfway, perhaps nearer the top of the pedal travel than that. Not sure by how much. Where should the bite point be? And how far should the actual pedal move from top to bottom?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take to a professional and they will diagnose it for you I can't do that virtually from my arm chair mate.

12. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I see yeah but I don't really trust any garages to give me a proper diagnosis. They'll just say it needs doing. I'd rather find someway of figuring out if it needs doing myself, and then obviously just get the replacement done at a garage.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It needs replacing there is no two way about it.

14. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any idea on a rough cost? On euro car parts there is a clutch kit for £122 and another (presumably better) kit for £215.

From what I have described, how long would you guess I have until it really really needs doing? What would be the symptoms when it gets worse than it is now?