Suspension, Steering and Brakes Noticeable sway when motorway cruising

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Tookers, Tuesday 4th Jun, 2013.

1. Tookers Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys,

I've got an issue, with my 2004 2.4 Type-S, with what I can only describe as a sway at the rear wheels when cruising at 70 and becomes a lot more noticeable when cornering and accelerating, above 50mph.
    I took the car to my Honda dealer and they adjusted the tracking on both front wheels, but the issue persists.

I checked all tyre pressures last night and the passenger rear was a bit out so inflated to recommended and it seems to have reduced the effect but the sway is still there.

I'm fairly sure it's not the front end as I don't get any abnormal feedback through the steering wheel.

Recent work on the car, prior to the sway, both front track rod ends replaced and both rear d bushes replaced.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the cause may be, have you guys had anything similar?
    Any possible thoughts on what the culprit could be?

2. AlexD333 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

half an hours labour to a MAIN Honda dealer and you will have the answer, and at which point they will be at the root of the fault.
  3. Tookers Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Alex,

I took it down to Honda and described the problem, they said it may be tyre weights have come off on one side.
    Anyways, they did their checks and all told me they adjusted the tracking and that was it.

I can't get back down to Honda until July so just wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

4. AlexD333 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm doesent sound too promising. don't be too put off. Is this Honda a mainstream dealer? or a bit of a backstreet dealer?

Its amazing what I see these days that has the "honda" name stamped on it.

Unfortunately I am not a techy Wiz, I can only go with the cure rate I see at my work, and we have alot of happy customers (obv with a few not happy customers - as will any dealership) but most that comes in gets cured and fixed and leaves sorted :Smile: shame ur in leeds, I don't know what dealerships are good down there.

I imagine someone on this forum would happily tell you though.
  5. Tookers Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Alex,

The dealer I've been using is a Stratstone Honda, I've used them a few times now and they're pretty decent.
    Will check over the rear tyres tomorrow and see if there's anything unusual, and guess will just keep an eye on it until I get booked in with them.

6. AlexD333 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Who did the recent work? might be something misplaced or upset by the work done? could we worth asking them to have a second look as the car is now "dangerous"

Check the wheels spin freely, could be a rear brake binding, possibly causing a pulling.

Yeah I do preach the main dealerships (but then again I do work for one :Wink:)
  7. Tookers Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All work this year was done at Honda, had 100k service in March then track rod ends, front discs and pads about a month ago.
    Will definitely mention these when they take another look. Now you mention it I have noticed a definite pull on the left, so could be left rear. I think the rear brakes are due a change soon anyway.
    I've got it booked tomorrow for air con service so might ask if they can do quick check on the rears if they have it on the lift already.

I think the main dealers are good, especially when it's just a free health check and full valet to boot ;-)
  8. AlexD333 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just for peace of mind, jack the rear up (in gear handbrake off) and spin the rear wheels, they should spin freely. mabye 1/2 revolutions.

and once you drive to the dealership feel the alloys for heat!

mine were so hot I could not touch them...

Good luck, keep us posted.

P.S now I've had rear discs, pads and callipers done the alloys are stone cold after a long drive, obv don't touch the discs, they WILL be hot :Rolf:
    Last edited: Tuesday 4th Jun, 2013
  9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Are you able to check your droplinks (swaybar end links), maybe they have failed?
  10. Tookers Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

Cheers for the tips. Checked the alloys for excessive heat yesterday, after a blast down the motorway, and no heat at all.
    I've not had chance to check droplinks yet, I know the front droplinks where replaced a few months ago but nothing on the rear.
    Will give them a check tonight.