Daily Driver Honda Civic 2.0 Type-S

7th Generation (2001-2005) vehicle added by nsxer, Wednesday 4th Feb, 2015

1. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well the work has begun on my next Honda purchase. I sold my trusty 02 Honda Accord 2.0 SE exec and purchased this off my dad, who has since bought a pre reg 2014 Jazz 1.2 as he wanted to have a smaller engine and less tax to pay. So I thought this would be a great car to purchase - it's an 05 Honda Civic Type-S with around 40k. This thread will concentrate on the work I will be doing to it over the course of ownership and get her to a condition that will be acceptable to me. This car is just the family runabout as it's required for classic car insurance policy on the NSX.

The next MOT and service is coming up in the next couple of weeks so in the interim I wanted to make a start on things. Today was a nice day and due to the weather here at the mo, I seized the opportunity to get the car prepped for detailing. So today I pretty much done the following:
    Pre wash rinse and hosing
    Snowfoam - left to dwell for 5 or so mins and rinse off
    2 bucket wash method with autoglm shampoo & conditioner
    Rinse off
    Wheels drenched in iron cleanse and left to dwell
    Agitated with wheel brush
    Wash and rinsed wheels
    De-tarred the whole car using autoglym intensive tar remover
    Rinse and Snowfoam and rinse again
    Car then clayed from top to bottom
    Rinse and Snowfoam again
    Final shampoo
    Rinse and towel dryed

Here are some pics of today's efforts

image. image. image. image.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 9th Aug, 2014
  2. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

This is the state of cloth after de-tarring ... Cloth was pink. Also a wee pick of the clay used to de-contamise the paintwork prior to polishing with the D/A. Hope to get a chance to start process tomorrow. The paintwork needs a good going over due to years of sponge abuse and how the older folk wash their cars! :Frown:

image. image.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 9th Aug, 2014
  3. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Will update thread as I go along.
    Next stages will be upgrading the car stereo system, full interior wash and clean including leather treatment and all carpets washed and windows cleaned. Then the servicing and MOT prep ... Busy few weeks ahead. I'm wrecked ... Time for a bottle or 2 of ICE cold magners from the fridge me thinks! :Smile:

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Good going on the detailing, nice way to start off the project :Smile: Keen to see how it all develops.

Enjoy your Magners man, looks well deserved.

nsxer likes this.
  5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Are your arms aching now ?

6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Not too bad. Just tired. The worst job was the de-tarring it took absolutely ages ... Car was covered in it. The claying process was mind numbing and was time consuming also. But now have a decent platform to start the polishing process which will eat into the hours for sure.

The magners will go down a treat! :Smile:

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I gave both of our cars a decent wash today... and then had an unplanned trip in the rain. :Rant::lol:
    Enjoy the Magners.

nsxer likes this.
  8. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Looking great!

9. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Shocking weather today so it was not hard to get motivated to do another session with the Civic.
    The D/A was out this time around and kick of the polishing process. I was using meguiars mirror glaze as per photo to kick things off and get swirls etc off the paintwork. 1st pass completed tomorrow will be the start of the finishing polish prior to waxing.
    Couple of pics

image. image. image. image.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 10th Aug, 2014
    DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Certainly bringing the colour out.

nsxer likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    that is looking good already !

12. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately my detailing work has been cut short. My stereo installer is happy to take my car and get the upgrade done. So far I have been able to apply finishing polish and wax to the rear, offside, front bumper and roof. The other areas have just been polished. But hope to pick up the baton in the next day or so and finish the process off.

Below is a pic of all the bits to be installed minus the head unit
    image.

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The installer will upgrade the existing speaker cable for the new speakers. No point using cheap wire to run the updated units. The Hertz set will be installed in the rear and the tweeter will be placed in the door so some cutting to the door will happen but that will give the tweeters optimum positioning in the cabin. The JBL's will just add to the sound field from the standard points. No sense in spending big doe on rears and these were highly recommended by the installer. They offer good low end for the price and the Hertz are high frequency sounding so both should balance each other out

14. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The primary reason why I have pushed on with the stereo install!
    I personally cannot stand major issues like this in any of my cars if even it is a runabout vehicle. It just completely ruins the interior and your eyes are completely drawn to it as soon as you get into the car.

As you can see from pic, the terrible mess made by a leaking ambi-pur car freshener. You have been warned!

The 2nd and very good reason is because the head unit is rubbish and the sound is crap :Smile:

image.

15. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

A quick pic of all my efforts to date externally on the car. Note this is the offside polished and with one coat of wax. Will probably add a further coat when I get the car back

image.

16. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I couldn't live with that head unit either.
    Smashing job on the RHS. :Photographer:

nsxer likes this.
  17. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Got the speakers and replacement head unit installed.
    Lots of sound deadening required especially in rears as doors very light.

Some pics of speaker install, will get interior photos up later

image. image. image.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  18. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Did you cut out a ring of mdf to mount the speakers then tape over them with duct tape?

What thickness of mdf did you use?

19. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

No duct tape! That's sound deadening!
    Adopters for fronts worked, however rears did not so mdf was used to build surrounds. No idea of thickness as done by a pro installer

moob likes this.
  20. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Well after the install this is what the finished results look like.
    Key thing is I am very pleased with the sound now, but if you undertake thus job you have to use proper sound deadening to get the best from your upgrade speakers. My installer used a full roll, the rear doors are the worst.
    This is the old clarion unit installed; USB cable wired into glove box. The stereo fascia adopter colour is not an exact match to rest of dashboard but a hell of a lot better than the stained mess as above.

The hertz speakers up front sound really nice and provide a lot more punch. The JBL's in the rear just provide bottom end. If doing this to your 7th Generation put all your money into decent fronts. Very pleased with the change. Pi$$es all over OEM but then that is not too hard to do.

image. image.

Chunkylover53 and DeviateDefiant like this.