General Number plate ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by K24 CL9 GUY, Thursday 26th May, 2016.

1. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Guy Gloucester
    Hello all I'm hoping you might be able to help me out with ideas of where to place my number plate.

I had a bolt bolts fold away one which was good but where attached underneath the front bumper and with my car being lowered it would sometimes catch on bumps and slopes etc so has taken a few knocks but to date has survived.

Well today it met it's end so would like to come up with another idea that doesn't ruin the look of my bumper but ideally is still legal. The shape of the bumper makes positioning difficult as there aren't many flat surfaces so will be grateful if anyone has any idea's for me.
    FB_IMG_1460142446405.
    DSC_1182.JPG
    DSC_1183.JPG
    DSC_1184.JPG
    DSC_1185.JPG
    DSC_1187.JPG

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/part/II/made

Section 6, 10 and 11 should answer your question to keep it legal by the strict letter as you have requested.

In laymans terms however, a number plate on the front of the vehicle must be affixed as close to the centre as possible (except those designed - like alfas which have them on the nearside of the bumper rather than the centre) and must be clearly legible from between 18 - 22 metres away using correct standardised letters and spacing.

Also, technically, having the licence plate in the windscreen meets requirements but its asking to be stopped (repeatedly) as the angle of the windscreen deflects the legibility of the number plate as it will not be legible at all times (such as sun reflecting on it, or at night time). It could get you a ticket for not displaying it correctly or just give you the hassle of constantly being stopped and having to explain yourself.

I think I would personally put it just above the bottom lip, and below the main centre bumper line in that gap if it was my car with your bumper.

Last edited: Friday 27th May, 2016
    Nels and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  3. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Stock bumpers have a moulded number plate mount. Is there a Mugen equivalent?

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Id have it where it supposed to be. It makes the car look as though it has a smiley face.

6. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I fixed it with four metal brackets which cost me £2.60 :Smile:
    DSC_1385.JPG
    DSC_1386.JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh no now have uploaded the pic it looks a lil lower on the lefthand side :-(

Racy Jace and Nighthawk like this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The number plate is level.
    It's the car that's wonky! :teasing:

Ichiban and K24 CL9 GUY like this.
  8. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

:taunt:

Nels likes this.
  9. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

Night shot to try hide the wonkyness :Tongue:
    photo 45 0-47-22.

legend-ary likes this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm a bit late with this thread, but (if still legal) a stick on numberplate at the front of the bonnet could look nice. I'd like it, anyway!

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It was a yearly thing for me at MOT's the number spacing went back to legit plates.

K24 CL9 GUY likes this.
  12. K24 CL9 GUY Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm not really a fan of the vinyl ones personally but love the ones ultra cut down but wonder if they actually get away with it or just go on at show time? @Ichiban was that you would run illegal until MOT time or did I read it wrong?