Electrical & Lights number plate lights not working

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by james m, Friday 8th Feb, 2013.

1. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

number plate lights not working urgent

I've got a 6th Generation (2001) 1.8 s and the number plate lights are not working I've replaced the bulbs and still nothing.

i can't find a fuse for these lights and my bro brought me the american Haynes which is no help

anyone have any ideas as to why there not working or how i can fix these.

or i wiring diagram for the UK models.

i want to get it fixed ASAP as i don't wanna get pulled for not having them.

Last edited: Friday 8th Feb, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will have a look for you buddy :Thumbup:

3. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thank you ichiban accord

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi James a few things to check

Make sure the replacement bulb is ratted at 5W, and see if you can test it to make sure you don't have a DOA aka dead on arrival .

Remove the bulb and remove the housing and get the 2 pin plug (A) out look at wires for damage and look for corrosion on the connectors on (C). Damage wires need repairing and corrosion needs cleaning , for cleaning use contact cleaner (Aerosol cans)

6th gen License Plate lights.JPG

if the above is all clear then get your attention to the passenger side fuse box.Look at number 11 fuse which should be a 7.5 Amps fuse.

Check for a short, replaced if blown and if a higher rates fuse is used then this has been ongoing for some time and there is a wire cut causing a spark..

I would appreciate if you can come back with some feedback. Good luck.:Thumbup:

5. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've just been out there and checked the connections and there clean checked the fuse and it was fine but put a new one in anyway.
    just used my dads volt-meter on it and there's no power going to the bulbs. would i be right in guessing i now have to strip the car out find the wiring loom and inspect it all?
    so much for a quick fix :Frown:

- - - Updated - - -

i was planning on photographing the strip down and documenting it for future reference so i will post it up here it might help someone some day :Smile:

6. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

just another quick update got my hands on a digital multimeter instead of my dads analog one and started checking. the number plate bulb holders are only putting out 1.68v but the connector in the boot behind the carpet is saying 12/13v so the problem is somewhere between where the wires come off the main loom into the tailgate section of the loom. all the other connectors are putting out 12/13v as well im guessing a short some where but im not 100%. i don't know much about auto electrics or any electrics so if anyone has some info or can shed some light on the problem it would be greatly appreciated

(no pun intended)

7. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds like a corroded or loose/broken connection between the two points.
    The high resistance of the connection is causing the voltage drop.
    Check the connector between the two looms.

8. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the connector is good with the connector connected and the headlights switched on i have 12/13 volts on both sides the connecter. but thanks for the advice i intend to remove the section of loom in question tomorrow are check all the wires for splits. is there any way of getting a wireing diagram for the car. i have a us haynes but im guessing it might be wrong.

9. ROVER-25X Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

N/A
    Can't go wrong with them matey as what ever the colors the wires are going to the bulbs you can trace them back into the car, as mentioned it will be corrosion, bit of wire wool on a precision screw driver should clear it up, once you have done that then a little grease on the contacts should keep moisture out in the future.

10. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

did u manage to figure out the issue yet... i am having the same problem....

11. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I didnt find the problem i just cut the wire an inch above the connecter and an ich from where it splits off and soldered a new peice of wire in not much help but it works now :Smile:

12. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

is that the connector inside the boot behind the rear seats..??
    do u by any chance have a pic of the connector.. just failed MOT on this and now i have till tomorw 1pm to get it sorted...

- - - Updated - - -

ok ..fixed.. :Smile: found a broken wire.. so fixed it.. atlast all fixed... :Smile: hope nothing else is gonna go wrong...

Last edited: Friday 12th Apr, 2013
  13. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

How do you get to the actual bulbs in the first place ? I got an MOT up on the 20th and mine aren't working either !

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Where was the actual break ?

15. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is an access panel in the boot lid can be quite fiddly to get your hands in

16. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Great thanks :Smile:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rhys did you get to the bottom of this?