Queries & Feedback Number plates

Discussion in 'Holdcroft Honda' started by Galgo, Monday 6th Apr, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My number plates have seen better days and so I want to get some new ones.

Believe it or not, my 11-year old Honda Accord Tourer was actually sold by Holdcroft Honda when it was new, despite living its life in various parts of England! I was wondering, am I able to buy some new plates with their details written underneath?

At some point, someone changed the rear plate so only the front one is the original HH plate. Also, the rear plate doesn't have the GB symbol on it - something which is doing my head in a little (yes, a bit "OCD" I know, but they don't match!).

Thanks.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I guess only way to do that is to ask HH to make the plates for you.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:whathesaid:

4. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, I just wondered if anyone here knew if they did that or not. :Smile:

5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think if they do number plates ,by law (don't quote me on it) I think they have to put their name on them.
    No doubt someone will put me right on this so give them a call

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Specifically in relation to the writing at the bottom of the number plates, above over things, need to have the British Standard number on them, as well as the name and postcode of the supplier of the number plate, there are obviously then restrictions on the spacing, colour, reflectiveness etc to consider as well.

7. Due to the legislation involved we can't supply number plates by mail order.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to clarify I take it this is because you have to be in posession of the vehicle registration documents to purchase replacement plates is that correct.
    If so if someone came to you with their documents there wouldn't be a problem as this is the procedure in most places now.

9. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've seen places online that let you scan and email your docs to them. Is that not legal then?

10. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You also need photo ID and proof of address.

So I'm not sure how they online retailers get around it.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Why couldn't you just scan and email these to them ? If the address that the plates are being delivered to matches the scanned docs, shouldn't that all be enough evidence ?

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

With photo ID you have the person in front of you to confirm they are who they say they are.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

And would you really want to send copies of your documents to someone you never met online ???
    Not me!!!

14. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just a quick update, getting some number plates made up from my local Honda dealer tomorrow. They charge £33 for the set which I think is cheaper than Halfords from what I remember.

Made from aluminium too apparently! Just need to remember my V5 and licence first!

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That's a good price the last time I bought one which was just the front one after an accident it cost me £30 at Motorworld!!!!!!!

16. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah they are a good price and they look nice too. Thinner than the typical plastic ones or whatever they're made from.

Only took them a few minutes to make up for me. I thought I'd have to hang around for ages waiting for them!