Off-Topic Nvidia Shield

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JamesS, Wednesday 10th Dec, 2014.

1. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Any gamers on here? And has anyone bought one? I am getting one for crimbo off the missis, look awesome! And very excited :Smile:

Also avid xbox gamer, got several xbox 360's for the kids and xbox one myself. :Smile:

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Yes to being a gamer, however, I only game on PC's. I personally dislike consoles hugely.

The Nvidia Shield is an interesting idea, I remember reading about it a while back...

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I was a PC gamer from the early days until 3 years ago when I switched to PS3. Looking at maybe getting another gamer PC one day.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I haven't got one personally, but I have heard some good things about them. I reckon the gaming gadget to get at the moment is the Occulus Rift VR headset.

5. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    I'll have to give a bit of a review then when I get to have a play. Roll on crimbo!

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

Look forward to hearing your review. Hope it is what you expect from it.

Sounds too console like for me so I wouldn't touch it if it was given to me.

7. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    @Nighthawk you can stream your PC games to it if you have a decent GTX graphics card. And it has its own controller. You can also do that while plugging it into your tv, so makes your PC more accessible. Will let you know how I get on with it.

8. Nighthawk Guest

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Im quite happy just sitting down at my PC which I spent far too much money on modifying with its sli 680s and custom watercooled loop and my twin 24" tft monitors. I like keyboard and mouse personally, more accuracy.

Roll on xmas, look forward to hearing your views on how it performs.:Thumbup:

9. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Sounds like a nice PC! :Smile:

I am a sucker for gadgets, and anything electrical to be honest. I have a HP Z600 running two 6core procs and 48gb of DD3 ram! I just need to save up for a decent graphics card, currently running a 750gtx, but want something a bit more powerful! Unfortunetly I don't get to use it as often as I would like. But it also doubles as a media server streaming HD video around the house, so all that POWER is not wasted! :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

:dribble:...and I thought I was a specs nut.

My home server is an Intel Atom with 2GB of RAM and a 21TB RAID6 array, and it doesn't miss a beat! :Laughing:

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Life long PC gamer here too, although winded down a bit with age.

Had a look at the shield, seems a bit expensive for what is essentially a small tablet? I think the Steam box is interesting idea, although none would take me away from my rig.

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I agree with you there @exec, I think Steam OS streaming has more allure. I for one like the idea of keeping my main powerful rig at a desk, and just running a small budget HTPC to stream content to on the big screen.

...then again I work on 70" of screen real estate on my main rig :Laughing:

13. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Long life PC Gamer here (FPS back in the day of Quake, Doom etc. then RTS type games, and now pretty much just MMO).

Tried and dislike consoles as they seem very limiting (and I just can;t get used to those controllers). Considered getting nvidia shield for it's streaming ability, but it is pretty much console, so decided not to.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    I liked the Xbox 360 because it was very much plug and play. Not as much in love with the Xbox One, as it isn't as stable and the online games are pretty rubbish. I recon in another 2 years when they have ironed out all the issues it'll be awesome! :Smile: