Exhaust System O2 Sensor now Cat?!?!?!?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Honda5t3v3, Friday 5th Jul, 2013.

1. Honda5t3v3 New Member Getting Started

Hi,

Today my 2004 Honda Accord 2.4 Type-S petrol failed it's MOT on Omissions with an O2 reading of 0.8.

I was expecting this however as my CEL was on with 2 codes, po137 and po137 (pending).

From this I expected a new O2 Sensor. My normal garage got a replacement (£106 +vat), retested it but the readings stayed pretty much the same and from this advised me that they believe I need a new cat.

On coming away from the garage whilst they price me a replacement cat up, I checked the codes now and along with po137 and po137 (pendin) there was also po141. Now I have had the CEL on for a good 6 months and have never seen po141 until now. Does this sound more like a duff replacement? Or would you consider a replacement CAT?

Help much appreciated!!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi and welcome sorry to hear about your issues.

3. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi mate. Don't buy a cat. The job of the cat is to neutralise the last bit of C0 ( carbon monoxide ) from combustion. lambda sensor was a waste of time too. Have your exhaust checked for leaks, which will let O2 into the exhaust and give high readings. Even a pin hole will do it. A quick search says P0137 is the ECU noticing high 02 readings. Another thing is to make sure the car is well serviced up with plugs fuel filter as excess o2 in the emissions could mean incomplete combustion ( not all the fuel and air mix turning into c02) and check the wiring and connectors on the O2 sensors as p0141 is indicitive of a bad connection to the sensors.
    ps get the emissions checked at another garage too before going back for re-test , most friendly garages will do it for a drink.
    hope this helps. Sid

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    :Ermm: You okay?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Erm, dunno really just that you'd usually have codes rhymed off just like that!

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Really 02\lambada sensor are waste of time when they are wide band sensors? what this assertion based on hunch because I say so ? I doubt the exhaust will have a pin hole leak as you describe as it a shrink cat not a balloon type cat which are prone to it. What you are describing is more relevant to the 6th Generation have you taken into consideration this is a 7th Generation and not a 6th Generation?

8. Honda5t3v3 New Member Getting Started

They are unable to find a hole anywhere, not even a pinhole. They are still pretty adament that it's the CAT. Does anyone know the part number for a 2004 2.4 Type-S CAT? Can't seem to find a price anywhere.

9. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

"Really 02\lambada sensor are waste of time when they are wide band sensors? what this assertion based on hunch because I say so ? I doubt the exhaust will have a pin hole leak as you describe as it a shrink cat not a balloon type cat which are prone to it. What you are describing is more relevant to the 6th Generation have you taken into consideration this is a 7th Generation and not a 6th Generation?"

I did not mean the lambda sensor is a waste of time, wideband or not for the operation of a closed loop fuel control system, more that they can be tested before buying new. As it happens in this case, the garage replaced it and it did not fix the fault. ( waste of time ). As per working on hunches. 100% yes mate . I do not have the car in front of me and only have limited information, and not being a Honda Accord expert, as no one appears to be! Im having a bit of a quess based on 20 years of playing with cars experience. Trying to save a guy spunking money on part after part.
    I may be wrong still but i thought of the cat was to reduce the nasties from the cars emissions , not oxygen.
    Sid.

- - - Updated - - -

Did the car pass the lambda test? would expect that to be sky high too with that much o2 in the mix.

- - - Updated - - -

You got the rest of the exhaust readings too dude?

- - - Updated - - -

another hunch... do you have a twin back box exhaust setup? I have had it in the past that if the probe ain't right far down the exhaust it can pick up some o2 from the other tail pipe as the air pulses about. May be worth blocking the second tailpipe during the test just to try if it won't hurt anything.

Last edited: Wednesday 10th Jul, 2013
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Do not buy a cat what you need I a second opinion. I take this diagnostics has been done by Local garage ?

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This O2 sensor which was changed which one was it , a genuine Honda O2 sensor is expensive than what you paid for it .. Cheap O2 sensors cannot replicate the real thing.

was this O2 sensor changed http://hondakarma.com/threads/5421/

or on the down bend pipe ?

B__0201.

Item 21 on the downpipe LAF sensor Honda part number 36531-RBB-003 retails price £212.88

Item 22 on the cat Honda part number 36532-RAD-L12 same retail price as above.

so it clear your sensor is not genuine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014