Engine & Gearbox OBD-2B Port Location

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by DjDemonD, Monday 16th Jul, 2012.

1. DjDemonD New Member Getting Started

Quick question what is the appropriate diagnostic code reader for a 1999 Honda Accord ES Coupe 2.0? Is it ODBII?

Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. wumps Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

not sure if its not obd2 then you can read it by shorting the 2 pins in the plug shown here and counting the flashes on the dash the plug is behind the trim passenger side foot well on mine short
    the 2 pins swich ign on the count the flashes from the check light long blink =10 short blink =1

Honda Codes OBD1
    1 O2A - Oxygen sensor #1
    2 O2B - Oxygen sensor #2
    3 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
    4 CKP - crank position sensor
    5 MAP - manifold absolute pressure sensor
    6 ECT - water temperature sensor
    7 TPS - throttle position sensor
    8 TDC - top dead centre sensor
    9 CYP - cylinder sensor
    10 IAT - intake air temperature sensor
    12 EGR - exhaust gas recirculation lift valve
    13 BARO - atmospheric pressure sensor
    14 IAC (EACV) - idle air control valve
    15 Ignition output signal
    16 Fuel injectors
    17 VSS - speed sensor
    19 Automatic transmission lockup control valve
    20 Electrical load detector
    21 VTEC spool solenoid valve
    22 VTEC pressure valve
    23 Knock sensor
    30 Automatic transmission A signal
    31 Automatic transmission B signal
    36 traction control found on JDM ecu's
    41 Primary oxygen sensor heater
    43 Fuel supply system
    45 Fuel system too rich or lean
    48 LAF - lean air fuel sensor
    54 CKF - crank fluctuation sensor
    58 TDC sensor #2
    61 Primary oxygen sensor
    63 Secondary oxygen sensor
    65 Secondary oxygen sensor heater
    71 random misfire cylinder 1
    72 random misfire cylinder 2
    73 random misfire cylinder 3
    74 random misfire cylinder 4
    Last edited: Friday 3rd Aug, 2012
  3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great info Wumps.
  4. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello, I am new to the Honda Accord.

I bought a 2000 model a few weeks ago and I am very pleased with it after tidying it up.

I am interested in computer diagnostics. Could anyone tell me 1) does the 2000 accord have an OBD2 socket, if so where is it located. 2) What software is available 3) Which lead do you need. I have a cheapo (blue) lead I bought off ebay for my previous Skoda 4) Any help and suggestions gratefully received.

Terrific cars arn't they ! :Smile:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    From memory, on the 2000 Accord, it is on the passenger side, along the centre console, near the passengers right foot, there's a little cut out on the carpet that is hiding it.

As for OBD readers, there is a thread on here where people have reviewed what they have.
  6. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks speedy gee. Will have a look for it.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

8. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I just downloaded some free scantool.net software. See if it will work with the lead I have.

9. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I recently bought an ELM327 off ebay. It does not work and the supplied software was full of trojens and virus.

Question: Is a 2000 Accord OBD2 compliant? It may be that it is OBD1 compliant and that is the reason it does not work.

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ OBD1 has different socket so would not even work with an OBD2 reader, some pre facelift cars don't have OBD2 but some do, I have it on mine and its a 1999, its on the passenger side next to the console, and has a carpet slot where its sits below. I have an ELM327 myself, its not genuine most stuff on ebay aren't, but it works and I use it with the Torque app on Android.
  11. flyerphil Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I downloaded the appropriate drivers and Easy OBD 2 software today. It now works OK.

Yes you are quite correct the OBD2 socket is different - ergo my car is compliant. The free software version I am running is quite limited - may get the upgrade. I was pleased to see that no fault codes were set and everything is OK as far as it goes.

I am extremely pleased with my Accord, its a great car to drive. However it does not feel like it has 148 BHP under the bonnet. Its quite old now but runs perfectly and at a bargin price.
  12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Good to hear, if you have a Android phone on Tablet give the Torque app a whirl, it is great, reads all kinds of stuff off the ECU.

They are great cars to drive, a bit on the heavy side and it would of lost a few horses over the years, but for me the liveliness and responsiveness of the engine more than makes up for it, you have to give them some beans to get the most out of it, once you hit VTEC the kick is great and they make a great noise, can be rather addictive!
  13. darwell New Member Getting Started

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. Tried searching for this info but didn't find anything.
    I've bought 2001 Honda Accord 1.8 ES (sedan) but the engine is 2.0. The thing is, I cannot find the OBD2 socket anywhere on the passenger side and I suspect that the guys who changed the engine just didn't put it in place. Are there any other places that I should check and where from does the socket and wires come from? Thanks!
  14. Bendzior Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone using any iOS obd readers other then kiwi ?
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not that I have seen bud , but would like to have the pocket HDS for bikes..if its possible.
  16. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Today I have some maybe bad news. The engine management light came on!

fortunately I have the Torque app intalled on my phone, so pulled this code.

basically, its saying the EGR is not working properly, or is it something more sinister, meaning the EGR plate needs coming off to clean it all out?

I am hoping that I can just get away with cleaning the EGR valve up, at least until it warma up enough to do the plate.

Attached Files:

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have a look this guide Gareth Guides - EGR Cleaning

Usually both need doing, the plate doesn't take too long to take off and clean.
    Chunkylover53 and Ichiban like this.
  18. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers @SpeedyGee. I've seen that guide before and was the first thing I thought of, however I don't have time to do it this weekend, I'm just hoping that I can get a little bit of time to get the EGR valve off and clean it up enough to get it working, so that it doesnt set off codes.
  19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You clean the EGR you will find the car a different beast it will wake it up.. the difference is quite remarkable.
  20. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So i have heard. I just had a 10 minute go just now. It wasnt that hard to get the EGR off at all, sprayed it ith Jizer and brake cleaner and a little scrape with a screwdriver to get the worst of the carbon off. When I get a moment, I'll do the EGR passages to see how bad they are and then post pictures.