Electrical & Lights OBD II diagnostic tool

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Matt_, Saturday 30th May, 2015.

1. Matt_ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Matt_ Hampshire
    Hi all, having a problem with my EML coming on. FR-V 2.2 ICTDI exec 2008.
    Last time it happened I had it checked out by two different garages, one a main dealer (boy did that sting..£100 of sting), neither found any problem and said it was an unknown glitch.
    Nothing seem wrong with the car, revs returned after a restart, but the light won't reset like it did before, so I purchased a handheld OBD diag tool. The problem is, it won't even speak to the car. It scrolls though various standards indicators (one of which is ISO 9141) and then complains it cannot communicate. The same tool works fine on a ford Ka I tested it on.

so, two questions...why won't the engine light go away and why won't my OBD tool communicate.

Thanks.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I think it's the presence of CANBus (?) on newer Hondas, like yours? I also have one of those D900 scanners (but the 2011 model) and although it works fine on my pre-facelift Accord and 2003 Toyota (and a Panda, a Vectra, an A6, etc, etc, etc) it wouldn't connect to a 2007 diesel Civic. This suggests that later Hondas are NOT fully compliant with the OBD2 spec.

Consider an ELM327 Bluetooth interface (for less than a tenner), especially if you have an Android device (and then get the Torque app).

The reason your EML is on is that you have a real and permanent problem. If it runs OK then it'll be something minor, maybe the IMRC sticking as a guess? But not worth guessing really, best to get it connected up to a compatible reader.

Last edited: Saturday 30th May, 2015
    AccordCU2 likes this.
  3. Matt_ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Zeb,
    got two more devices to try on monday, one brand new, one an older full size product from demontweeks, so hopefully one of those will work.
    If not..then I will try the elm327.

4. kes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Usually EML stay on until the fault has been erased. I'm new to Japanese cars but as zebster says it might not be fully obd2 compliant. Did either garage you used last time tell you the fault code? I have a basic Autel scanner which doesn't work in a 2003 Corolla, the diagnostic guy I use with a much fancier autel scanner can connect to it. An EML is normally related to emissions and would flash if it was something serious.

5. Matt_ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

In the original incident neither garage found a fault code, I reset EML by restarting 3 times at the roadside (as per manual which I carry on my iphone) and nothing showed in history at all.

6. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the same scanner, works fine on my 06 FR-V I-CTDI

7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hi, are you using supermarket fuel?

I had this problema nd it went away by either using BP or shell fuel. Other garage fuel causes my EML light to come on, which @Zebster finds ammusing lol but I beliebve it is the cause. I also read that if the fuel filer cap is not on tight or leaks this can cause the EML light to come on too.
    Worth a go in changing fuel and checking the filler is tight, whats it going to coast you ;-)

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    LOL - nobody would ever buy supermarket fuel if it actually did cause the EML light to come on... your car obviously has a fault that can somehow be masked by the use of BP or Shell fuel. Which is amusing in the literal sense (i.e. interesting), but you should still find out what's really wrong with it and get it repaired!

The correct response to having the EML come on is to read the stored DTCs and then address the real problem once you know what the ECU/ECM is complaining about. There are many, many reasons why the EML might be on and random guesses are very unlikely to find the solution. So I hope you can soon get your hands on a scanner/reader that will work properly with your FR-V.

Bones126 likes this.
  9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I concur :Niceone:

Zebster likes this.
  10. Matt_ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Started the car yesterday and the EML cleared itself. Tried another scanner and it showed no errors or stored codes. Got a professional scanner coming today so we shall see what that says.
    @ Bones; usually use esso premium or sainsburys. Fuel cap has been checked.

11. Matt_ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Found my code using the snapon pro.
    P1236 overboost
    so could be electrical connections, the vacuum, vacuum hose, the solenoid & the turbo itself? feeling like this could get financially painful :/
    - - - Updated - - -
    also found this on these forums:

same engine

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Is it decatted? Is the exhaust leaking?
    Could be the turbo vanes sticking or could be the turbo actuator sticking.

I think its possible on your model to swap the turbo actuator with the one for the IMRC to see if the problem also transfers.

13. Matt_ Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

not decatted, no leaks AFAIK (another thing to check) and thanks, I will look into the turbo to manifold runner actuator swap over, but as i am unable to to reproduce the fault after finding and clearing it......how will I tell, or will it be self evident once theyre swapped?
    Need to see if I have clogging/deposits, and shed load of other things, hopefully not breaking anything else in the process....

Anyway, thanks for all the help, I have plenty to work on now.

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If you can swap the turbo boost/IMRC EVR acuators, then the fault would move to the IMRC and so probably result in either a P2004 or P2006 DTC.