Tools OBD Reader Reviews

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by aiman2005, Thursday 30th May, 2013.

1. aiman2005 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Am thinking of getting the torque app on my phone it requires OBD scan tool the owner recommend some expensive tools..
    I wonder if any one tried the app is it worth it?
    And if if there is an alternative to the expensive scan tools with good quality ?

Last edited: Thursday 30th May, 2013
  2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Jordan,
    I have the Torque app on my Sony Xperia U smartphone.
    I use this bluetooth OBD connector on my Accord 2.0 i-VTEC 2011:
    OBD2 Bluetooth Mini - AutoWolf.nl
    Bought it also on above site.
    No issues. Use it since last September (first Civic 2007, now Accord).
    I use it on 99% of my drives! I love to see what my engine is like. 100% spot on engine temp, engine load, throtlle %, battery voltage, 100% exact speed (via GPS)... like it a lot.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone using torque on iPhone ?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Torque won't work on iPhone will it ? Apple limitation on bluetooth stack

5. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That should work ok mate.

7. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Thanks SpeedyGee

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Yes, that's the same as mine.
    Very cheap indeed. Only difference might be warranty.
    Edit: this comes also with warranty. 12 months. Good deal.
    I never buy from e-bay.... might change in the future.

Last edited: Saturday 1st Jun, 2013
  9. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Ordered from eBay yesterday and once received will install and update. Been buying from eBay for nearly 14 years and there have been time when had difficulties but generally very good experience. But do look round before buying from eBay because eBay is not always cheaper then high street or other online places.

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have that and it works fine.

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Are you able to get engine oil temp on it?
    The function is there, but it shows nothing. I have tried in the past by changing the formula that's behind it, but it does not work. Oil temp is integrated in the oil level sensor, and with the Honda HDS you can bring up the oil temp.
    Any idea how to get this value shown with Torque?
    All the rest works fine.

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll have a look tomorrow. Im sure it cones up on my I-DTEC. I used torque for a few weeks then stopped using it. So ill plug it back in. The apps free if you know where to look too.

13. aiman2005 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I-DSI Thanks man for your input, I am wondering if you are having any lag or is it real time reading from the sensors

Last edited: Saturday 1st Jun, 2013
  14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On torque you just find a spot for your gauge and hold your finger down on the screen to add new gauge. Select the type then scroll down the big list of data and select oil temp. I'm sure it's there but will see.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hey guys,
    I'm sure it's real time reading for oil temp sensor. Done several testdrives with the HDS MVCI + laptop.
    Racy Jace, I know how to get the gauge, that's the easy part. But the oil temp is the only gauge that stays empty.
    As said, I tried changing the formula behind it with other formula's I found on the net. But it does not work.

16. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok. I'll look tomorrow. I only ever looked at the MPG and the 40-70 gauges. And that tree thing.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oil temp menu via MVCI also the option for ( filtering value --oil contamination! I-DSI your thoughts?)

I so want to buy the MVCI but it too too expensive HDS alone costed be 1900 quid with software subscription etc. this is well over 4 grand mark.

photo (30).

18. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't get my OBDII to work for some reason. I havnt used it on the car for a while now so I need to find out whats wrong.

19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Ichiban,
    This filtering relates to filtering of the values, not filtering of the oil? The way to measure the oil level is done by warming up a certain amount of oil in the sensor. The amount of power (ampere, volt) you need stands for the level. The higher the level, the more oil, the more power you need. But as this value fluctuates, you need to filter the high and lows out of it. The oil goes through some rather small holes in the sensor. That's also why the sensor will not work as intented with 15W40.
    Don't know this by heart, but can't it be that the first value you see will fluctuate a lot, and the filtered value is stable and gives a real indication of the level?

20. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Hello Guys

I don't know if its faulty item or not so need advice, everytime I connect Scanner to my phone it keep losing the connection. However if I remain in Torque App the Scanner will remin connected via Bluetooth. As soon as I exit Torque App the scanner will disconnect, next time I will have to start the Torque App and pair again to scanner. Is that Normal or faulty item please advice.
    Regards