Engine & Gearbox Occasional gearing problem

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Monday 2nd Dec, 2013.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hey all,
    I've slight problem with my gear. Sometimes when I put it in first gear and drive, it does drive but there is this slight grinding noise and when i disengage and the reengage gear again, the noise goes away.
    This particularly happens when the car is driven in a london like traffic, so stop and go in a succession.
    So, am i right in thinking that the gear oil needs changing?

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It definitely wouldn't hurt changing it and take it from there.

3. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I get the grinding noise nearly every time putting it into reverse...feels really bad! I ordered 3L of MTF from HH but not yet gotten round to changing it.
    Also 1st and 2nd gears are extremely stiff to slot into (to the extent where i need to really force it in) though I've noticed it only happens after the car has warmed up. On cold it's fine. Odd...

4. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

do u live near Bury St Edmunds?
    I can help u in changing that over the weekend.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Your clutch maybe on the way out ??

6. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Quick question guys,
    I've a spray carburetor cleaner at home, can I use it to spray inside and clean throttle body and EGR plate?:Unknown:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's an odd hijack of someone else's thread but yeah you'll be fine using carb cleaner to clean TB and EGR plate.

8. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hijack u say... my own thread:Blink:

- - - Updated - - -

thanks anyways for helping out speedy :Hey:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Opps my bad !! For some reason I thought it was Negum's thread, I take it back mate :Blushing:

10. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Thanks for the offer but I'm nowhere near there otherwise I'd have to take you up on that!

I hope not... previous owner has shown me a receipt for a new clutch just 6 months back.

I'm due an MOT now though and was hoping to get a full service. Can anybody suggest a good garage in London (preferably SE)?

11. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

just ordered some MTF-3 over the phone for the first time from HH, 2liters for £19 and will get it tomorrow :OTT:
    but have to say, i usually am a bit hesitant giving out all my credit card info over the phone:Blushing:

12. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    yep I had to do the same, was all fine and delivered in good time though :Thumbup:

13. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

well I do go sometimes go down to london over the weekends, but probably not this one coz was just in london last weekend.
    about garage, i know a guy on romford road, very cheap mechanic but i wouldn't recommend him to get more technical jobs done, should be fine if u want parts changing. I've only used him once to get my rear brakepads changed and he did a good job, as they were properly seized and charged me around £40 including parts.

14. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Successfully changed the gear oil... :Happy:
    But one weird thing, when I opened the filler bolt, oil came out of it like 100ml-ish and when i filled it up, i just filled to the filler bolt's level, is that ok? or should I try to fill and quickly put the bolt in?
    but have to say, black oil came out and after changing, the gear change is smoooooth.
    Also i did an EGR job as well, but sadly broke one of the bolts inside manifold :Sobbing:
    I mean everything is fine, havent seen any problems but should've tried to be carefull :telloff:
    Any way to get it out?

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

When you filled the gearbox with oil, was the car on the ground and level ? Or was it in the air on on the jack ?

Needs to be level on the ground and then you just fill the oil until you see it start coming out the fill hole.

Over filling is not good for the gearbox, the extra sloshing of oil around the gearbox, increases the heat which is not good for oil or gearbox.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and what bolt did you break ? And I assume you mean "on the manifold" and not "in ​the manifold"

16. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

yes on the manifold, which holds the EGR plate on manifold

- - - Updated - - -

no, the car was jacked up but slightly tilted towards drivers side as i used axle stands, so jacked passenger side higher than drivers side

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Best to have it level on the ground whilst filling mate, otherwise its easy to under or over fill.

18. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

guys, guys :OTT:, I managed to get the broken stud out as very tiny bit of it was luckily sticking out of the exhaust manifold when i opened up the EGR plate :Happy:
    Now I've a question, the thing is, bolt that i broke was one of the corner ones, so is it possible to have a leak in EGR resulting in high fuel consumption?
    Also do I need to do another idle learn once I've replaced that bolt, meaing all bolts correctly holding EGR plate in place?