Engine & Gearbox Occasional squawking noise from clutch

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dcode, Sunday 7th Dec, 2014.

1. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi fellas,

My 2006 Type-S 2.0 petrol makes the odd squawking noise when applying power on the biting point of the clutch. It's worse if there is load on the engine. Usually when pulling away on hills with the steering wheel turned. It's been doing it for the past 20.000 miles but it drives all right. Clutch does not slip etc.

It's not really a major problem now but when the clutch finally goes I want the replacement to fix this noise as well but I read somewhere it's down to one of the clutch cylinders but I can't remember where I got this info. I don't know much about these things and I am not a mechanic so taking the car apart is not something I can be arsed with. I'd rather pay someone else to carry out the labour. Anyway is anyone familiar with this characteristic?

Appreciate your help.

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It wouldn't be the release by any chance? Mine made more of a squealing noise though. Seems to have stopped now though as far as I know, perhaps my dad is a little more gentle.

Bloody Android auto correct.

Last edited: Sunday 7th Dec, 2014
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Where the clutch fork meets with the slave cylinder rod - that can squeak at times, need to put some copper grease on the ball joint on the rod where it contacts with the clutch fork, see if that helps at all.

4. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers lads. Its not the actual pedal (though that does click when pressed), the sound is coming from the engine side. If its the release barring can these be lubricated easily?

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it's quite involved, pretty much a clutch job. It may be worth posting a video up of the noise first?

6. Nighthawk Guest

You can generally feel the release bearing through your foot when resting it lightly on the clutch pedal. My description is for a squeak which occurs from the engine compartment side - where the slave cylinder rod connects to the clutch fork.

7. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Was just thinking that! I'll get something sorted.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I have the same issue at the moment and it's the release bearing for me, @Ichiban previously had this on his old Tourer too. Is it most prevalent when pulling off in 1st and occasionally going into 2nd - literally as you hit the biting point?

9. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah that's it. Not had it in other gears yet though just first. How did you diagnose it was the release barring?

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

@Ichiban did not long back at a meet, as the symptoms were the same as he had previously. I'm currently doing a massive transmission overhaul with CTR gears, Wavetrac LSD, lightweight flywheel, uprated clutch - a new release bearing is part of that, so I'm not too worried.

11. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fair enough. Guess its just the way some of these are.. I'll get a video just to be sure we are on the same page when I can. Good luck with the upgrades (Y).

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Thanks and good shout mate, I can try get one up too if I remember when it's light :Smile:

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Mine tended to happen when pulling away up a slope, especially a driveway. It was so loud heads would turn lol

14. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah its worse pulling up the driveway or on a slope. How much is a replacement clutch fitted on these things and how long do they generally last? Mine has just touched 79k.

15. Nighthawk Guest

Not sure what it is fitted but if you wanted to purchase OEM and get them fitted elsewhere, I think it is around the £200 mark for a complete clutch, pressure plate and release bearing, but I stand to be corrected if I am wrong on that, however, once you become a forum member, you will be eligible for a discount from Holdcroft Honda, one of our sponsers and will be able to get it cheaper. 80k on a clutch? That could easily be the original still.

Have you tried calling round at any local garages and see what they can do for you?

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not saying I'm right or anything but I'm of the opinion that when it comes to a Honda clutch it's best to get a main dealer to fit it or a garage that really knows what they are doing. I've had problems in the past getting a supposedly good garage to fit a clutch in my 6th Generation and it was never right afterwards. Main dealer just fitted a clutch in my CR-V and it's perfect. I think there's a special centre tool they use but not sure if that's just with the diesels?

Is it worth doing the SMF also when doing the clutch with a petrol? I know with diesels it's worth changing the DMF at the same time.

17. Dcode Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Original clutch I am sure. Had from just under three years old at 22k miles. Not tried calling round but I'll speak to my dealer when it comes round to it as we are on good terms. Heard of Holdcroft and their good reputation but they are a bit out of my way. Good to hear they are offering discounts for members here though.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Mine use to do a fair bit when I first got it at around 67K and also usually when pulling away from standstill up a slope. It is the release bearing that makes this squeal.

However. I wasn't going to spend good money on just fixing an intermittent squeal. Funnily enough my stubbornness paid off and the squeal kinda a cured itself overtime. I now (at 144K miles, with the very same release bearing) only hear it once in a blue moon.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Is it doing any harm? Just wondering because if not and you can live with the noise it could be worth waiting until clutch time?

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I guess the squeal is an indication that part of it is running dry but as it got less and less frequent I didn't see any need to take any action.