Suspension, Steering and Brakes Odd noise from steering wheel

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by exec, Wednesday 19th Aug, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Whilst driving my Uncles Civic today I noticed a very odd noise, he mentioned it a while back and I noticed it today.

Basically it makes a constant noise that is similar to the noise the wiper motors make when they are running.

Is this possibly the electric steering motor or rack on its way out? :Ermm:

The steering otherwise works and feels fine*.

*still horrible to use

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wiper noise whilst driving when the wiper are not running .. wow that the first mate !

Dude have a look at this thread can see where your perception fits Bulletins & Advisories - Describe that Noise on your car?

it can be ARB and drop links or the back engine mount. which year Civic are we talking about? generation MTOC etc etc .

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    lol thats the only closest description, the noise action is exactly like a wiper motor working at around intermediate to high level, but its not the wiper motors. It's also intermittent as it didnt make the noise on the drive to the location, but then made the noise on the way back home. I'm gonna pop the bonnet open next time it makes the noise and see if I can identify where its coming from.

It's defo not the arbs, drops links or anything, as it makes the noise when you are bone idle and standing still, its a very motorised like noise.

The car in question is my garage thing in signature, 2003 Civic.

4. k20a3 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

+I would go along with stopping the car and lifting the hood when it starts making the noise. Also when its noisy try and put your hand on the motor to see if you can feel any vibrations ECT.. through the casing.

exec likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @exec any updates on this buddy?

6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    None unfortunately, my Uncle works shifts so hard to find him sometimes and the car is located within a congestion charge zone.

Hopefully by the end of this month though as I need to service it and rather do it before the cold weather sets in!

Will update once I get round to it.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds