Suspension, Steering and Brakes Odd Noise re 4WD

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by Whit2k, Wednesday 3rd Jul, 2013.

1. Whit2k New Member Getting Started

Hi .. new to forum .. and new to CR-V's ...
    Just bought meself a '97 auto due to finances and stuff about all i can afford .. anyways ... alls seems fine on the car apart from clock , which i undertsnd is a usual fault that taking it out and small amout of solder fixes.. .. anyways .. i couldn't find a way to test 4WD before i bought it.
    The previous owner assured me it all worked fine through the last winter but was too big for his wife (?) ...

anyways now its mine i found a nice open slippery field to play i to try and make the 4WD come into action ...aaand ... oh dear :Aghast:... what is that noise from the rear?:Search: ...... its an odd noise .. not a high pitched screech more a low gutteral screech:Messed: .... could it be the 4WD hasnt moved in ages and its just rusted up somehow?? or is this a bad noise and i need to get it sorted ASAP??
    seems to come from the passenger side left .... sorry its not a great description but ... any help or advice appreciated ... :SOS:

maybe it just needs a good service on the rear axle? ............

thanks in advance for any helpful advice or comments ... Whit

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Whit2K ! Welcome.
    Rear dif noise: change the oil!
    Possible causes of such noise:
    - not enough oil
    - not correct spec oil
    - correct spec, but sat to long there

Only if changing oil does not help you can start worrying. But I wouldn't worry to much.

Update:
    you need DPSF-II (dual pump system fluid).
    PN (1 liter): 08293-99901HE.
    Content for rear differential DPS: 1 liter.

Last edited: Wednesday 3rd Jul, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  3. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    You need to flush the rear diff. The diff fluid gets contaminated over time and the clutch pack slips or grabs creating the noise you describe. Requires raising the car off the ground, applying the handbrake and bring into 1st gear slowly. Let the car idle In gear for about 10 mins and then turn off engine and drain/ re-fill the diff oil. Please only use honda dpsf fluid. !!!!

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Might need to quick succession flushes to be sure the fluid is clean.

5. Whit2k New Member Getting Started

brilliant thanks very much guys...... might have to take it to a garage to have it done ... got a very knackered back so as much as i love to do me own work i do have a lot of limitations ... i'm guessing Honda will charge the earth .. so might look at some local independents and see what i come up with ..
    Also .. is it creating damage the longer i leave it or is it something ie is it must do now urgent ..or .. its ok in a months time ?? noise only happens a little when driving on normal roads like a half second scree .. and thats only when i happen to get a bit heavy footed ... (not very often trying to be economic most of the time) ..

thanks again for advice

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi With2K,
    I would not advice to go to an independent workshop. They might not have access to the service bulletin on how to flush the differential and they might not have/use the correct oil.

Ichiban likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Whit2k i can see why you going then independent route since the car is not worth that much due to it age, logic would dictate not to spend a lot of money.

In case this problem is not fixed by your local garage you have to use the Honda oil and procedure to resolve it completely.. albeit you may end up paying more to fix it.

The choice is yours , but please do keep us posted.

8. inchley313 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ian Isle of Man
    Is this flush procedure before you take the old oil out or do you replace the oil, do the flush then replace it again?