General OEM Brake Pads versus something like Red Stuff brake pads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpeedyGee, Tuesday 24th Jul, 2012.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Look for some rear brake pads for my 7th Generation CL9.

HH can do a set of rear pads for £34 including postage, I was wondering if it's worth considering RedStuff brake pads.
    These would cost £47.

Any thoughts/advise guys ?

2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Hi SpeedyGee

I have fitted these - EBC ULTIMAX HONDA Accord 2.2 TD Saloon (CN1) 03>08 REAR BRAKE PADS DP1216 | eBay

They don't come with shims or bolts like Honda item but are fine. I have noticed no difference in performance over the originals and are cheaper. I reused the shims from the old pads after giving them a clean and they fitted perfectly. Mine is a diesel but unless you are pumping out mega BHP and brake like an F1 driver for every day usage I think these are fine and a lot cheaper to boot. I would use these again.

Red Stuff are a lot more expensive and perhaps might be worth it on the front as they will do far more work there but I think (just my feelings here) that you would be wasting your hard earned cash putting these on the rear.

Good luck bud

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Agree with primarycare red stuff on the rear is completely unnecessary. Fronts yes, rears no. They don't get anywhere near the abuse the fronts do so you won't get the heat build up to justify using red stuff on the rears. Even if you were to need red stuff on the front you could still easily get away with OEM on the rear. I'd either stick with OEM on the rears or the Ultimax.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Forgot to update this thread to say that I has chosen to go with OEM pads.

Ichiban and jaywood like this.
  5. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Probably the right choice. I put a set of Pagid in the rear of mine and I'm quite happy with them plus they were half the price of the Honda set.

6. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I had ultimax, now I have green stuff and I didn't noticed much difference except price :Wink:

7. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Brodziu, was looking at green stuff for the fronts as they are getting ready for replacing, Have you noticed less brake dust as advertised?

8. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I have green at front now too and yes I noticed less brake dust comparing to OEM, but next pads which are waiting for me are Hawk, heard a lot of good opinions about them :Wink: