Guides OEM Tow Bar and Electric Hookup Information

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Boggie, Friday 30th Oct, 2015.

1. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I have been trawling around for info on OEM tow bars and as there is a lot of information out there, some rather confusing and contradictory, I thought it might be worth collating what I have found.

Honda detachable OEM Tow Bar
    This is made by Bosal. Part number 044283
    Expect to pay around £220 from reputable online sources.
    This does involve some modification to the bumper. Here are the instructions:
    http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pdf/pdf_mi/044283.pdf

Honda 7-pin Wiring Harness:
    Part number: 08L91-SWW-612N
    Guide price is around £115
    Not suitable for trailers with LED rear indicators
    If you have Rear Parking Sensors use Trailer Hitch Sub-Harness 08L91-SWW-Sub to automatically switch off rear sensors when trailer harness is connected.

Honda 13 Pin Wiring Harness:
    Part Number: 08L91-SWW-613
    Guide price is around £130
    Not suitable for trailers with LED rear indicators
    For continuous power supply to your trailer get the additional 12V Battery Line 08L91-SWW-613A.
    If you have rear parking sensors use Trailer Hitch Sub-Harness 08L91-SWW-Sub to automatically switch off rear sensors when trailer harness is connected.

Have any of you got a picture you can add of what the OEM tow bar looks like fitted especially the bumper modification please?
    Out of interest: are there any detachable tow bars that do not need the bumper to be modified?

Thanks,
    B

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone with a CR-V would like to help @Boggie ?

3. dorsetsav Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    I have a genuine honda towbar and electrics fitted to my 3rd Generation. I did need to slightly cut the bumper but only very slightly.

I am soon to remove the towbar and electrics as i am selling the car, if i get the chance I'll try to take some pics and scan in the fitting instructions for you. If you pm me your email I'll send you a copy if you like.

2.4 8thGen, Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  4. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fantastic! Thanks DorsetAV, I think some pictures would help this thread and people looking for the info in future. PM sent!

5. dorsetsav Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    No problems, didn't get a chance to do it last night will try to sort over the weekend.

6. dorsetsav Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    Maybe the attached may help. After removing the splash guard underneath i had to make a very minor cut into the bumper to allow for the left (as you look from the back of the car) support to fit.
    Will look out the proper instructions as soon as i can. Was very easy to fit, took longer to take out the interior plastic work for the wiring than it did to fit the metal work.

Ps sorry the car is filthy but hopefully you can see through the mud!

uploadfromtaptalk1446887872132. uploadfromtaptalk1446887897691. uploadfromtaptalk1446887913878. uploadfromtaptalk1446887936082. uploadfromtaptalk1446887950814.

7. somersetsav Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have found the wiring instruction I was looking for, hopefully these will help?

Attached Files:

8. Gareth Hancox Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Garth
    Went to see our friends at HH last Wednesday to have a detachable towbar fitted. Adam did a cracking job and I was impressed with the video tutorial that they do. I live 50 miles from them but Gareth did me a cracking price £200 cheaper than my local Honda dealer. It was well worth the time spent travelling. Another top class job by HH.

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice one! Thanks for that as well as all those picture, very much appreciated.

10. Boswell Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Bozzy Home
    Hello

New member here, just signed up.

A coincidence, I am picking up my new (to me) 3rd Generation CR-V next week which is having an OEM towbar fitted at main dealer.

Will post up some info on the towbar for you once I get the car home.

Regards
    Bozzy

11. Boggie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That would be great! Thanks Bozzy. Pictures and prices for comparison would be very useful if you can.
    Out of interest; did you go for fixed or removable?
    Cheers.

12. Boswell Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Bozzy Home
    Went for fixed, normally I go for removable, but thought the fixed ones on other CR-V's don't look too bad, plus cost issue.

Only just got the car home so give me a couple of days as I will be busy, but will take pictures for you, also got a handbook for the towbar so will have a look through that and post up some info.

Bozzy

13. Boswell Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Bozzy Home
    Sorry I haven't done this yet, delivery of the CR-V came at a time when I had to ferry in-laws around for hospital appointment's, so been very busy and clocking up serious mileage on my new motor already.

I have to say, what a fantastic car the CR-V is, has a real feel of luxury to it, very impressed with it to my previous 4x4's.

Anyway, had a quick look at the new towbar, it has a Honda plate on it, will take pictures over the weekend for you with info.

Originally, the deal was for a Witter towbar to be fitted by a 3rd party approved local place that Honda dealer would arrange, but the place was too busy, so my Honda dealer agreed to fit their own towbar for the same deal.

Regards
    Bozzy