General OEM V Aftermarket

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MickyB, Thursday 13th Oct, 2016.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This thread has come about because of discussions on another thread which went off topic.
    This thread is so @Members can air their views on OEM and aftermarket parts.
    Anything and everything ,good,bad indifferent.
    Are you someone who swears by OEM and won't use anything else or do you prefer to take a risk with cheaper after market spares.

Racy Jace and Zebster like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh dear this will be tin hat time... game on :hunter::Baseballbat::boxing::showoff:

Racy Jace, Zebster and MickyB like this.
  3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nuclear bunker time. This will be better than the Cuban missile crisis.:Grin:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mick since you were in the armed forced do we have equivalent DEFCON status .. if so let that be declared. All easily offended accountant lovers embrace your mollycoddled cotton wool pants ... do your homework you will be skinned alive.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Aftermarket is a gamble, it could be good enough, could be worse, could even be better... At least you know that OEM will always be OK. The fuel filter on the I-CTDI is an excellent example of how poor aftermarket substitutes often are.

But OEM can be prohibitively expensive, especially for older (>8 year old) vehicles, fast approaching banger status and with a plummeting value. A pair of lower wishbones for my car a few months ago would have cost more than my car is worth if I'd gone OEM!
    - - - Updated - - -
    By the way, great thread topic @MickyB ...

SayamaAccord, FirstHonda and MickyB like this.
  6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Driveshaft failed on my nearly 8 year old banger and it costed me nearly £600 to get it replaced with OEM.
    I did look into aftermarket parts but soon decided against it and ordered OEM.

I love my banger and only the best for it.
    I don't look at it, oh it's an old car and it's not worth spending money on it.

SpeedyGee, MickyB and Ichiban like this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    My 1977 Honda accord gets Honda genuine parts @HondaHeritage called be a tart when we replaced the serpentine belt( genuine honda) on my car when I was down at Brands hatch. priceless.

MickyB and Racy Jace like this.
  8. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Well my 8 year old CR-V is still dealer maintained, it needs something doing and its OEM all the way for me. Doest it really cost more? Not if the after market part has to be replaced prematurely!

Karma= you get what you pay for :Grin:

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

While I may drive a 16 year old Accord I try and get genuine where I can afford it. Though there have been instances where parts where replaced with non genuine parts and everything has been fine. Almost all of the parts where Blueprint (timing belt kit and clutch master cylinder), or pagid for the brakes. I guess though it depends on whether they are quality aftermarket with a price that reflects this or cheap aftermarket where everything seems to be made of cheese. So far as yet I have not had problems with my aftermarket parts.

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I prefer to use genuine, but cost is an issue. To do a basic service air, pollen, and oil filters the dealer was asking 169.74 for the 3 filters and approximately a 3 month wait for the air filter. Alternatively I can get the parts delivered to my door in about a week for 25.20. So the decision was made to purchase Honda 0w-20 oil and run the aftermarket filters with a slightly shorter change interval. Same sort of issue with the compliance bushes Honda will get me the OEM arms (no separate bush available) for 730+vat with a delivery date around Christmas. For slightly less money I can buy a 12 ton bearing press and all the lower suspension in polyurethane and replace the whole lot, or to take a risk I can get both lower arms from china for 90, or get just the rubber bush aftermarket for 50.

Sometimes quality is an issue, sometimes not, its a gamble. There are times where time and wallet dictates the direction taken.

Harvey likes this.
  11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Anything old like that deserves Genuine parts more than the newer stuff. I scour the earth for new old stock genuine parts for my "other" car.

Fitting aftermarket crap decreases the value and appeal to any classic car.

FirstHonda and Harvey like this.
  12. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed, Deffo classic cars could do with genuine parts where available. Thankfully there are places that can refurbish older parts that are otherwise near impossible to find. I should imagine trim parts being one and seat upholstery. I would love to keep my Honda a Honda but sometimes funds dictate as previously mentioned.

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Cars should be compulsorily scrapped upon reaching 15 years old. All those old cars are polluting and unsafe.

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What about Crate Moss? @Zebster lol.

Zebster likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It saving the planet these car is are still going strong that mean less resource used to make rubbish modern cars.

Harvey likes this.
  16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Much as I'd love to be rude about it, it's in much better than average condition for its age. The odd paint scuff, moss growth and moth infestation (possibly exaggerated) are trivial issues that would only trouble those somewhere on the OCD spectrum... Given that it doesn't appear to have a developing rear wheel arch rust problem I'd have to admit that it may be in fractionally better condition than my Accord. Nevertheless, while I can't speak for @jimjams, I am aware that he also has similar views to mine on the wastefulness of spending large sums of money on old cars that no longer have any real value.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I can't argue with that point. But the lack of modern braking systems and safety features does make old cars less safe.

jimjams likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They work for what its was designed to do you can't compare that to a modern but it does the job .Then there is the advantages 1) it way easier to fix as there is no electronic gizmos its pure mechanical. 2) if your car tax empt that is cheap motoring no Morden car today offers tax exemption.