Suspension, Steering and Brakes Offside track rod end change

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Thursday 19th Mar, 2015.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

I had an MOT advisory on my offside track rod end was split slightly and although not urgent would need changing at some point.
    I'd like to get this done and out of the way but not done one before.

Can it be done with the car on a jack or do I need 4 post lift really?

Once I undo the bolt on the ball joint end is it just a case of giving it a wack with a hammer to release it from the bottom supension component? And the undo the lock nut at the other end before unscrewing from the track rod? (counting the turns).

Just after a bit of advice really before I dive in.

Thanks!
    Tony

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Hello mate, its a really simple job, I have done it on quite a few cars over the years. Here is a DIY from my accord when I did it last year

Replacing Inner and Outer Tie Rods

I wouldn't do it with the car supported on just a jack as you will be crawling underneath it and rocking the car a bit to loosen the tie rod. Get it on some axle stands.

Hopefully my DIY should answer your above questions. Remember to factor in the cost of a wheel alignment as you will need to get this done even if you have counted the threads back.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Perfect!

Thanks for the link exactly what I was looking for. Doesnt look to bad bar cracking the lock nut off the outer tie rod. I guess I need a god decent fitting spanner and some force on that.

Anyway thanks for the guide, excellent.
    Tony

4. Nighthawk Guest

You're welcome mate, if you need any help, just shout.

Considering the cost of the boots, it might be worth it to consider changing both at the same time, they have both done the same amount of work so the nearside will be going at some point as well.

5. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

All done, like you say easy really.. I did follow your guide to the letter though as havent done one before.

Did have to hit the knuckle assembly pretty dam hard to get the track rod to pop out and the split pin in the bottom bolt was completely rusted into place so cut that off. But with the right persuasion it all came apart.

Bolted it all back up tight and went to get the tracking done. I wasnt far out so all good.

I didnt use a genuine honda part though so don't shoot me, A friend of mine gets me parts trade from the local supplier, part was made by Moog.
    The only difference was it had a nyloc nut instead of a split pin hole so hopeflly it will be fine?

Cheers for the guide etc!

Next job, new dics and pads on the front!

Tony

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Guest

Nicely done. Discs and pads are even easier to do. Did you change just one side or both?

7. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mm I only changed one side, is that bad? It was an advisory on the MOT, not for play in the track rod end but the rubber boot was leaking grease from the bottom. It still felt tight when I removed it but was just leaking a bit from the rubber boot but not bad at all.

Cheers, should be ok with discs and pads, done plenty in my time so its no worries there.
    Tony

8. Nighthawk Guest

No mate, not bad, personally I would have changed both sides as they have both done exactly the same amount of work, but thats just me as I know it would bother me doing only one side, kind of like people changing just one headlight bulb.