Off-Topic Oh dear what can the matter be!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Malibu, Saturday 18th May, 2013.

1. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

That's what happens with French cars ?
    image.

2. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    The 1.9dci Laguna's of that vintage it can be. Good cars the later ones though,I had a Nissan engined GT175 with 150k on the clock all on the original bits. Very good car and dirt cheap because of their reputation.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Would Renault just say the car is not serviced at a franchised dealer so the car will self combust?

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I went to look at my sisters 54 plate Renault Laguna estate yesterday as she had a rattle coming from the near side rear of the car for the last couple of weeks. Anyway a short test drive later and a quick look under the offending wheel arch and I found the top mounting bolt for the rear damper was missing and the damper was banging against the wheel arch. The bolt had a nylock nut on it so it couldn't have come undone. There is only minimal surface rust around the area so it hadn't rusted through. Only conclusion is the bolt has snapped. Never seen that before!!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The nylon insert must have worn out prematurely causing the bolts to loseen off and then evenutally drop off. Never seen that TBH.

Honda doesnt use Nyloc nuts on suspension components for a reason then :Wink:

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thought all Renaults came with a rattle.:Wink:

7. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    My 150k Laguna rattled far far less than my accord despite being twice as old and twice as much mileage. I think that's more to do with the very stiff set up on the accord though.

8. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don`t understand all this animosity towards French cars. In the past in our family we`ve had a Peugeot 105, Renault Laguna 1.9 dci estate, Peugeot 406, 2 Clios, and at the moment a Citroen C4 Picasso and a DS3 and apart from service items we`ve never had a spot of bother from any of them.

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can they're rubbish.
    I bought a brand new C3 (I know CJ, please don't give a hard time), injector problems within a year. Devaluation in 30 seconds.
    But then again I saw the light and traded it in for my Accord, even if it runs on the Devil's fuel Diesel.

10. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its a free country I suppose and everyone is entitled to their opinion

i-DSI and Malibu like this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I had a 2005 Scenic. It was a really nice car, spacious, VERY useful and quite nice to drive considering it was a people carrier.

Trouble was bits kept dropping off - minor stuff, interior trim that sort of thing. And the rear plastic cover for the bumper when I shut the tailgate once...really, it was only held on by a couple of small plastic screws! Also needed electric window motors, and the whole electronic dash replacing (under warranty)...the engine and gearbox were fine, but the rest of it is why I won't buy another French car in a hurry.

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I've only seen a nylock nut wear due to repeated removal and refitting not perish from normal use. It looks like the original damper so the nut wouldn't have been removed from fitting at the factory which is why I assumed the bolt must have snapped. Maybe the technician at the factory had just had some cheese and wine and forgot to do the nut up properly.

Either way the dampers kicked the carp out the wheel arch when it came loose.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    People need to adopt this approach more

donkeys-range-rover-550x361.

If your car keeps breaks down, donkey tow back to the dealership, with massive banners on the side for maximum impact :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    More like he east a Baguette with snails and frogs legs bud.

15. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Poor donkeys

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Is this picture another instance of another disgruntled Chinese owner taking on the big multinationals to highlight poor customer services or poor reliability?

A car with a red banner on its side towed by donkeys and the dealer (Volvo) in the backdrop well it’s a giveaway. Recall the lambo being hammers into pieces everyone now want to take on the big guy.

Social media just helps it along to go viral.

17. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Now, we had in the family also some French cars.
    Renault: R19 1.2tr 1992 ; Twingo 1.2 2008 ;
    Peugeot: 306 1.9D 2001 ; 206 1.4i 2002
    The Twingo and 306 were bought new.
    Bought those cars for 3 reasons: cheap, cheap and don't forget: they're cheap...
    Non of these cars gave any driving pleasure. The 206 proved to be very unreliable, the R19 needed extreme care and drunk petrol as if there was a hole in the tank, the 306 was only faster compared to walking and the Twingo was finished just as it was priced: low, and drove in such a way you wanted to get rid of the car after every trip.
    I know those models exist in a bit more exciting version, but I would never want to put my/more money in such cars.
    In the end, If I'm honest, they gave good value for money. Escpecially if you are good in DIY...

Malibu likes this.