General Oh no... not again!

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by Dirty Habit, Friday 29th May, 2015.

1. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    Earlier this year I was forced to scrap a real nice Jeep Cherokee due to ECU/electrical problems.... Never mind I have now got a nice 2001 CR-V or so I thought. Fine for a few weeks but now have SRS light on.. code 73 internal fault in SRS unit so I believe. Here is what happened. Battery went flat while working on the car with the doors all open. Removed the battery and charged it.... car started, but then I noticed the SRS light. I have watched many youtube clips on resetting SRS light but have not tried that... Thought I would ask for your advice first.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If it only happened after a flat battery I'd say it's a temporary fault caused by low voltage. Clearing it using a HDS unit should clear it properly.

Nels likes this.
  3. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    Thank you and I hope that is what it is. I suppose that will mean a visit to a Honda dealer?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Or go to someone/somewhere that HDS or a SnapOn system

5. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    My mate has the latest "Launch" which is pretty good or so I believe...

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That sounds like a generic OBD reader I doubt that would read the Honda subsystems.

7. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    From my experience and what I have found on the web, I understand it is possible/likely that a "flat battery" could be the reason the SRS light has come on and stayed on. So if this is correct.... you have a flat battery, SRS light comes on and your car fails the MOT.. unless you have access to Honda equipment that can communicate with Honda sub systems. So how on earth do you do any work on a Honda that requires the battery to be disconnected? I am new to Honda ownership but I am seriously doubting my decision.... I have a 70k mile, one owner, full history, great looking car that drives like new and yet I have to live in fear of a "flat battery".

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Oh come on you can't be serious!

Probably the most consistently reliable motors money can buy. In any reliability survey Honda are either first place or second place.

No they don't fricking throw a wobbly each time u disconnect the battery that's just fricking freak incident !!

Chin up soldier.

FirstHonda and Zebster like this.
  9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Something must have been close to failing for a flat/disconnected battery to have 'tipped it over the edge'. There are ways to read and clear sub-system/non-powertrain codes on the Accord without a dedicated code reader (by shorting OBD connector pins), so I would assume this can be done on your CR-V? Worth a google search, or maybe those YT clips might be useful viewing!

Last edited: Saturday 30th May, 2015
  10. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a reboot of the system. Just an idea

11. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    Thanks for your tips and advice on what to try.. I'll certainly give some of them a try. A little on my background may help you to understand my frustration. Until I retired, I worked at an MOT test station, not as a tester but in a position where I witness many many cars with electronic problems, and many owners forced because of the high cost of "dealer only" remedies to scrap cars that were in no way rotten or mechanically worn out. Long gone are the days when yards were full of rusty motors with knackered engines/transmissions it is now electronics. I do have several OBD2 testers which have worked fine with all the cars I have.... but do not own, or can afford to buy another that will communicate with "sub systems". I did not know when I decided to buy the Honda that it had "sub systems" I was happy that it had OBD2. Yes I am frustrated... as an older person, I perhaps should stick to what I know and that I can fix with "spanners" and not have a degree in electronics and have a toolbox full of gizmo's with diodes and resistors.. :Smile:

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    But you could short some pins together, if that was all that was necessary? Some (more expensive, admittedly) OBD readers will also read some/all Honda sub-systems.

I'm quite old too, and so I do also recall people complaining about the introduction of automatic chokes and - a few years later - fuel injection! But these were all just reactionary attitudes from those who failed to see the huge advantages and had previously been mostly happy to repair their cars using hammers and an adjustable spanner...

Why not add some links to the YT clips you've found about performing 'redneck' diagnostics and then I'll dig out the info I have on the Accord so we can compare and contrast? It would be great if we could find a quick fix for CR-V diagnostics.

13. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    I will tackle most things on cars.. I have had to over the years, to have the car I wanted. The car in my avatar was bought from a scrap yard in New York... I made and welded in all the sections and painted it myself in a tent! Rebuilt the engine/transmission in the shed. The end result was good enough to be front cover of Classic American magazine and the best of it's model outside the USA. When I do something, I am not happy unless it's "right". I understand that things move on in the automotive world... but I don't like it when I am not in control of things and complex Dealer Only fixes don't sit well with me. But here I am using a laptop.... and I hate these things too :Smile:

Zebster likes this.
  14. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am pleased to say the SRS light is now off. :Smile: I did end up going to a diagnostic wizard, as I just wasn't sure about sticking wires in things. Very helpful guy who talked me through what he found and confirmed that in his opinion, it was the flat battery (low voltage) that triggered the system to display SRS. He also explained that there was no problem disconnecting the battery if working on the car, as the ignition has to be on and the battery flat. So the lesson learned is.. if your battery is perhaps not in the best of condition.. change it. A new battery is after all cheaper than a diagnostic plug in.. :Wink:

FirstHonda likes this.
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

See I told you, you were worrying about nothing :Grin: :sparta:

Good to hear it's sorted.

16. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    Yes I love the Honda a little bit more now... :0 But if all these electronic gizmo's are so clever, why can't there be an additional dashboard light... with perhaps a "£" or "$" This monitors the battery voltage and informs you "insufficient voltage" and that any attempt to start the vehicle could possibly result in an expensive diagnostic plug in to remove other fault warning lights :Wink:

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes, low battery voltage will cause the main ECM/ECU to register a number of diagnostic trouble codes due to resulting ECU internal issues (from memory, P16a4 is one) BUT the EML will self-clear once the battery voltage is restored, although this may not happen until three complete warm-up/cool-down cycles have been completed, but a corrected fault (e.g. after the battery was charged/replaced, in this case) in any sub-system can be cleared immediately - without special tools - by disconnecting the battery positive terminal for at least 20 minutes, which might have been worth trying in this situation and I am sorry for not having mentioned this.

It makes little sense that low battery voltage would result in a permanent fault state for the SRS (or any) vehicle sub-system, as low battery voltage is a condition that definitely WILL be experienced from time-to-time! Unfortunately I stand by a comment made in my first post in this thread...
    But I hope I'm wrong and I'm glad that all is now OK.

Last edited: Sunday 31st May, 2015
  18. Dirty Habit Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Allen Birmingham
    I did disconnect and remove the battery and put it on charge for 5-6 hours. Both the battery and charging were checked and were OK. Time will tell....

19. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

Just to add to this post, i had the VSA and ABS check system lights come on within a month of ownership, honda dealer checked and cleared codes as it was due to a failing battery, which they replaced. Not had these since. To strengthen the point my previous W123 merc showed the ABS light which ended up being a lazy alternator and bad battery, which presumes that ABS and VSA and SRS may not always be a fault, but poor charging or poor battery.

20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I'm on a catch-up spree and have only just got to this thread.
    I'm no spring chicken either @Dirty Habit. I understand your frustration.
    A difficulty I have is that I too, am out of my depth with the computerised advances to cars. The one thing that keeps me going is, 'Failure is not an option'. I will keep on until I understand as much as I can about these things. It takes a little longer now that the grey matter isn't as good as it was, but I rarely give up.

Rest assured that if you're stuck, or need to know more, just ask. Nobody knows it all, but between us, we've got most things covered.
    @SpeedyGee and @Zebster are two of the best on here and I trust their advice.

I'm pleased you've got this sorted and can get on with enjoying your Honda.