Introductions Oh, What to Do

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by andy sinclair, Sunday 14th Sep, 2014.

1. andy sinclair Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello to all
    well lets see, i live in mid wales i have driven and owned Accords for the last 28 years and loved them all i am really in to detailing mine and freinds cars currently have a 2005/ 54plate march registered accord exe,i am looking to change my car next year and are sad to hear that the new accord will not be coming to these shores, so will be looking at a CR-V or the present accord may be looking at diesel 2.2 for the first time, trouble is i mostly do short journeys
    and have been advised diesel don't like short runs,is this true but petrol so poor on milageand i would that little more power,any advice much appreciated cheers folks.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Andy, welcome to HK. I know your predicament, there isn't a petrol option which makes you go running and say; I want that. Honda has become the all weasel engine maker for Europe. Wait for the new HR-V or CTR to get the petrol juices flowing.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club Andy :Hey:

You'll find a distinct bias towards petrols in the club, and personally I would always buy one over a diesel as long as the economy isn't a concern. The thing is though, the diesel engines aren't that bad, yes they're prone to more issues than the petrol, but the most common being DPF related which you'll find all manufacturers are struggling with - and Honda's fairing better than most. With regular oil changes at 6000 miles, and following a good service schedule many members have seen petrol-like reliability from the I-CDTI and I-DTEC engines. Just make sure the car sees good motorway blasts every couple of weeks.

For the best of both world's a properly LPG installed i-VTEC is the way to go, better economy than diesel, all the performance and almost all the reliability of petrol. The initial investment does however put a lot of people off.

In general, you're safe when it comes to Honda - but if the car hasn't been looked after right in the past, you can't expect it to be perfect. With regards to the CR-V, I'd favour the diesel given the extra torque over the 2.0L petrol, it's a heavier car.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome aboard Andy, choosing a car these days is getting tough. All the fun choices seem to have been taken away with all the manufacturer chasing CO2 targets.
    It's one of the reasons I stick to slightly older cars.
  5. andy sinclair Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks for your kind replys ,whats this about new HR-V AND CTR please tell more oh wise one,as i say only do a 3 mile commute in the morning ,i know what your saying poor thing but as regards filters on the diesels i hear they clog up on short journeys ,so i am a little reluctant to go from petrol .
  6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

CTR and HR-V models not due till 2015 at the earliest.
    If doing very short miles I would stay away from diesel. To run a diesel properly your annual mileage needs to be >16k based on reports and they require shorter intervals for servicing and need plenty of good runs too
    Older cars as stated above should also be considered ... The modern car offers little in terms of drive factor ... Unless you buy a GT86 ... Hilarious fun!
  7. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    The alternative is to perhaps stay with the car you have??

Welcome BTW! :Smile:
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to the club. Big decisions to be made maybe vzh7gk has a good idea stay with what you know until the right model appears after all 2015 is only round the corner and the new HR-V looks pretty good.
  9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to HK Andy. :welcome:

I recently went from petrol to diesel Accord and I have to say I'm disappointed in the diesel's MPG yes it is better than the 2.0 petrol but not much and I wonder if there is any point bothering with diesel Accord. Others have found differently but I do miss my petrol Accord. Please see what others' findings are and don't let my experience taint your judgement.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @andy sinclair :welcome:
    If your daily commute is only 3 miles, I would not recommend a diesel. They really need a decent run to keep the DPF clear.
  11. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    Or you find a diesel that is pre-DPF.
    However, as the fuel consumption is likely to be higher than a newer car plus the service intervals shorter, for that kind of short commute I'd go petrol every time. Less hassle and too short a journey to make lpg of much use. If you really want to 'save' on fuel / tax costs find a reasonably recent hydrid, certainly better than a modern diesel, just make sure you sell it on / trade it before the hybrid battery pack gets too close to end of life...
  12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm a big petrol fan and as much as I love big petrol engines (with a turbocharger or supercharger :Devil:) I do think the best setup at the moment is something like a 1.6T petrol but alas this isn't an option with Honda at the moment.

I thought that as my commute consists of a 1 mile trip plus a return journey at lunchtime then surely 4 miles per day would mean getting a 2.3T AWD beast weighing 1.7 tonnes should be affordable? No chance! I'm driving a lot more than I realise for all sorts of reasons and I was shoving £70 a week into her. As much as I'm not a fan of diesels as I hate the short power band I decided to get a diesel CR-V (petrol too gutless - where's the 2.4 CR-V damn it!!!). I'm now about £100 a month and still doing the mileage plus the CR-V weights the same as the MPS.

I use an app which logs your fill ups and calculates your MPG etc but it was actually more useful to show me how much mileage I am doing which took me by surprise. We are also going to do a lot of touring in the UK and based on my last trip to Lewis for a week, it cost me £350 in petrol with the MPS. Ridiculous just for a week. Diesel was the obvious choice but I'll be maintaining her closely due to the short cold engine commutes I do with a combination of frequent servicing, hopefully a scheduled EGR valve clean and also some TUV approved diesel treatment every quarter year.

If they did a 2.4 CR-V then I would have gone for that and asked Speedy to do an LPG conversion but the 2.0 petrol is too gutless. I'm toying with the notion of remapping the 2.2 CTDi but I'm just wondering if it's really worth it as it's not the type of car that's ever going to compete with the proper fast cars and do I really want to risk wearing out other components faster for a little extra torque and HP? I think if anything I would have it remapped for economy or perhaps just for a fine tune.
    Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.