Engine & Gearbox Oil and filter change mid service interval

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Lisbon, Thursday 10th Dec, 2015.

1. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So my CR-V diesel is 5 months old now and has done 5,000 miles. It's my intention to keep it a long time (now I can afford the higher than expected fuel costs since the fall in oil price). My question is what are the reasons for an engine oil and filter change mid-service? Or is there any real benefit? I am minded to go for a change soon, now that engine is worn in. Or this is a hangover from days gone by when you had an early oil change in a new car?

2. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    Back in pre-history when a triumph spitfire was every lad's dream car engine parts were less well machined than today so the running in period saw a lot of 'polishing' of piston rings, bearings, cams etc. which resulted in initial heavy oil usage due to non-polished surfaces (especially piston rings) letting oil by to be burnt and exhausted and the contamination of the oil by a lot of finely powdered steel particles. The oil often needed a major top up after (e.g.) 2500 miles and although the filter and a magnetic sump lug collected most of the iron particles there was a good case for draining and changing the oil /filter entirely at that time. Knowing this some manufacturers filled the engine with 'running in grade oil' to be replaced with the standard type at 2500. An early change is still recommended for engines with no filter or poorer production tolerances (generators, mowers, etc.)

Today: Parts are generally far more highly finished and while there may be initial oil usage requiring a top up it should not be accompanied by the same amount of metal particle generation. Your dealer will doubtless be delighted to change the oil and filter at 5000 miles and it is harmless if done properly - but unless you are aware of any other problem I doubt it will extend the life of your engine by much if any time. Probably a sounder idea if you are aware of any running in problems or drive your car in particularly hard / short journeys or harsh conditions.

Honda's 12.5K oil change is already more frequent than say Mercedes diesel's at typically 15.5K and even they don't recommend an early change unless there is stop start usage or heat/dust issues

Hope that helps

Cobh likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Oil is the life blood of an engine. The more often you change it, the better.
    Yes Honda's annual service schedule is 12,500 miles, but you will find that many of us here change oil every 6000 miles.

Oil has many functions, not just lubrication. In a diesel engine, it is also contaminated by burnt residues from the combustion process. These particles are very harmful to your engine, especially internal timing chains! Additionally, using the wrong grade/type of oil will help clog up the DPF and EGR valve.

We recommend changing the oil and filter on an I-DTEC every 6000 miles.

I keep my cars for around ten years. My previous diesel Accord (CN1) was 11 when I traded her in. She was brilliant throughout my ownership.
    My present Accord has her oil changed more often still, and she's got a petrol engine!

It is of course up to you.

4. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    @Nels when you say on an I-DTEC, should Andy and I be applying that on our new 1.6 (160bhp) litre diesels too? I am at about 10,000 km now, and due to set off for a return trip of about 4000km on Tuesday. So maybe I should be calling the garage for an emergency appointment.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If it was me, I would get an oil change done as soon as possible. Clearly your engine won't die yet, but it will keep it healthier.

The other car in our household (unfortunately not a Honda) is a diesel, and has the oil changed every 3-4k miles. OTT? Well maybe, but in over 4 years, I've never had a problem - DPF and EGR valve are fine and she runs perfectly.

6. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    OK, thx, will try to organise either at home in Italy for Monday/Tuesday or failing that in UK at daughter's local Honda dealer.

Nels likes this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP Mike. Have a safe journey.

8. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Useful viewpoints, thanks gents.

I've had no problems relating to engine or exhaust systems. I've kept a close eye on oil levels because it's a new car and it's a diesel. No top ups required and level is about 4mm below upper Mark on dipstick. Car does a mix of daily short journeys with regular motorway trips. Car is never thrashed, MPG is bad enough as it is! I now only use advanced fuels, Shell or BP. I've got another 1,000 miles before deciding.

Have a safe trip Mike.

9. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't believe there is an existing guide for oil and filter change on this newish model. Have any members done this themselves? If so, any advice on how to do it, e.g. how difficult is it to access/remove oil filter and sump plug? I assume it requires removal of an engine/sump guard too. What oil do you use?

Thanks.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nels likes this.
  11. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    I now have an appointment with my Honda dealer on Monday morning at 10am in Alessandria, fixed by eMail from Stockholm on Friday morning. The economic crisis is far from over, but every cloud ...

Nels likes this.
  12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Prevention is, in my opinion, the best path.

13. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    If you have a honda diesel use either honda genuine 0w-30 or castrol 0w-30. These are options I would use in my 7thgen 2.2 diesel.

Not all oils are the same. These oils have at lease 50% decene content. Decene is known as pao content and is what group 4 oils are. Lots of the cheaper 0w-30 and 5w-30 use group 3 hydro cracked oil. It's cheaper for a reason!

Nels likes this.
  14. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Hmm. The dealer did the change this morning, and as there was no customer waiting area, I watched the whole performance from beginning to end. The oil he used didn't come from a can marked "Honda" or "Castrol". Think it was Motul.
    Anyway, I have tucked the invoice (€150) in the manual pack, and shall be able to produce it in the event of any disaster (except a fire).

15. BEA Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom BEA London
    Possibly this ? oil.JPG

16. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    Could have been - he took it out of a gert big drum - I'm guessing 800 to 1000 litres. It just said Motul on the side.

17. Bomber209 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Lanky Aberdeen
    Hi All; whichever you use it should have 'ACEA C' designation. Not 'A' or 'B' as these are for older Diesel engines,