Engine & Gearbox Oil Consumption for K24A3 2.4 petrol

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Monday 23rd May, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi guys,

Oil light flickered on tonight. I had checked the oil level a few months ago and it was fine, so took a little by surprise that the light flickered on. Its dark, so I can't check it until the morning. Should have checked it more often I know.

I've read the thread on oils and it seems almost anything goes for this engine, is that right? I have to buy it ASAP so don't have time to order it online. Halfords recommends the Castrol Magnatec 5W30 which is ACEA A1/B1 A5/B5. However the Opie oils site comes up with the same brand but in A3/B3 A3/B4 variant, which Halfords also sell.

Does it matter?

Depending on level in the morning I'll either buy just a 1L top up bottle or a 4L container which is £32.

Thanks

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Yes it matters what oil you use.
    I would go with Opie Oils recommendation.

3. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its so confusing. The Opie site lists around 30 different oils as being suitable, ranging from cheap looking semi synth at £3 a litre up to Castrol Edge at £12 a litre.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What make of oil filter are you using?

5. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't know. Had an oil change on the car when I bought it in December at the local garage.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you are using a oil filter with no inbuilt oil relief value you will see these issues as the oil is leaking back into the sump when you turn the engine off so when you start your engine there is no oil in the filter causing the light to be light which is very damaging to the bottom end of the engine.

Do a favour get a genuine oil filter or a filter with a inbuilt relief valve.

7. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats worrying. This is the first time the light has come on since I've had the car. I just assumed it had used some oil. The light didn't come on on engine start up, it was after a period of driving, actually as I was turning a corner.
    I've used the same garage for several years and never had a reason to think they were using junk parts, but have never asked either.

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Flickering round the bend points to low oil level. Check level first and fill it back ASAP

9. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There's no leak anyway, I'd have noticed it on the drive. I've never had a car that used oil before, so not something I'm used to. Its probably done about 4k miles since I last checked it.

Really need to learn how to do my own oil changes, then I could buy the right stuff and have confidence in the job.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have a look what filter you have mate and report back, there are so many oil changes guides here you can do it if you followed them. :Wink: I am sure its the filter.

11. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I don't think the 2.4s are renowned for using oil. Mine uses a little bit in between its 6-8K changes or 6 months but nothing significant.

Personally I use Castrol edge 5W40 which it seems to like and have done for 3.5 years now. others recommend a thinner viscosity.
    The hardest job I find is getting the oil to the right level. I always add the exact amount it states in the hand book and its ALWAYS way off and at min on the dip stick on level ground.
    I asked Honda and they said always fill to the dip stick level. so that's what I do.

Anyway, did they not state on the receipt from the garage who did the oil change what oil was used? Or maybe they can advise what's in it? If it was last changed in December is probably worth getting a complete oil and filter done now anyway for peace of mind. As said, always use genuine Honda filters. its makes sense :Smile:

12. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had to put in over 2 litres.

There is no leak or signs of smoke on startup. I did ask what oil they used last time and although i can't remember what they said, it fitted the wide range of viscocity given in the manual.

I have put in over 2 litres of 5w30 now, so will monitor it closely. At this rate i won't need oil changes as ill be cycling the oil once a year anyway.

13. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

2litres!!! it must be escaping somewhere. If it was burning it you would see the blue clouds of smoke surely.

unless the garage didn't fill correctly?

its quite sensitive to unlevelled ground showing a false reading I have found.

14. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have checked it since the oil change but not for a few months. If it was leaking id have a patch of oil in my parking spot, but i will check again now to be sure.

I had been meaning to check it for a couple of weeks, as noticed the engine getting a little whiny.

15. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mm My engine is very whiny especially from cold. never seem to cause a problem though and goes a little when warm, never got to the bottom of it but its DEF not aux belt related as I have had this removed to check.

There is a big under tray on the 2.4 that could well be catching any leaks. but the 2.4 isn't renowned for leaks either.. they are pretty bullet proof.

16. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just been out and checked and not a drop on the floor where its been parked for the last 5 hours since i filled it up, but undertray is fitted as you say and i can't see the sump plug. I guess it could be a slow drip so ill have to have it looked at.

17. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Good luck on finding the problem. keep us posted.

18. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks i will. Most likely must be a slow drip from sump plug or filter seal.

Guys that change your own oil - can it be done without jacking the car up? Doing the job myself is not the problem its getting under the car that always is.

19. sawf1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Poole
    Can't see that you'd be able to change the oil without jacking the car up. You have to get the small access hatch in the undertray open and then undo the sump plug which can be pretty tight. With how low the front bumper is I don't think it's possible.

20. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I'd agree, I always jack up the car and remove the front drivers side wheel to gain access, its a pain but makes the job much easier once off.
    Once the wheel is off you need to remove the small access panel in the under tray, its a 10mm bolt if the panel is still there at all.

The oil filter is also accessed through the wheel arch and is in the bottom left of the engine block if standing in front of the car. You can just see it and get your hand on it ok. space is a little tight but it comes out fine if a little messy.