Engine & Gearbox Oil Filter Removal Tool

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bones126, Monday 9th Mar, 2015.

1. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Can someone tell me what size I should be buying for the 2.2 I-CDTI diesel please?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

76mm, 14 flute
    IMG_20150309_171200. h

Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I bought an OEM one, same one as above, - they are cheap, only around £10 from any Honda dealer, less through HH

4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    don't forget to replace the 3 O ring seals when changing out the oil filter. Be sure to lube them up a bit first as well with oil before putting them in place.

Bones126 likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

It can be a messy job, but well worth it. I always gave everything a good clean when the filter was out. I have to have a clean engine bay.
    Also, don't over tighten it when you put it back-very easy to do with this tool.

Bones126 and Nighthawk like this.
  7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    During the 7 years / 90k miles I've owned my car, I must have changed the oil filter at least ten times. I've always simply undone/tightened the filter housing by hand and never once needed a special tool. I say this only in case anyone thinks a special tool is absolutely necessary!

Make sure the largest 'O'-ring goes into the correct (furthest/highest) groove, as it is possible to fit it into an incorrect place...

Bones126 and Nels like this.
  8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Thanks for the advice @Zebster , will bare it in mind. cheers. now to find some perfectly level ground to measure the oil level lol :Wink:

Zebster likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oil filters should really be torqued on. Leave it too loose and you risk it coming loose, tight it too much and you're squashing the rubber seals.
    This is where the above tool comes in handy.

Bones126 and AndyB1976 like this.
  10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Well yes, technically that would be true of any oil filter on any car, or anything with a compressible seal.